PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on backpacker.com's suggested week

brdaaw
06-01-2012, 09:39
http://www.backpacker.com/september_08_vermont_long_trail/destinations/12547?page=2

I'm planning on doing this hike in July. Any thoughts on the section? Any advice? Any tips on transportation from the end to beginning?

Moose2001
06-01-2012, 09:51
Having lived in Vermont 15 years, I've hiked those sections a lot. Be prepared for a LOT of up and down. Camels Hump and Mansfield are the two highest mountains in Vermont. July can be very hot in Vermont. Be prepared for the heat and carrying lots of water. If it were me, I'd wait until late August or Sept to do the hike. Much prettier.

stranger
06-01-2012, 11:16
That's a rough section, be prepared to do some work, absolutely beautiful, stunning!

Nar Nar
06-01-2012, 13:13
The vistas from Mansfield and Camel's Hump are some of the best you'll get in Vermont. Be prepared to see lots of people in and around those summits, they both tend to be zoos up there when the weather is nice. Shelters tend to fill pretty easily on Mansfield (and I would imagine on Camel's Hump as well), at least from what I've experienced, and both Butler Lodge and Taft Lodge do not allow tenting either. The Twin Brooks Tenting Site isn't that far from Butler though. Have a great trip, it's a tough section but the absolute beauty of it will drive you to push on if all else fails!

NorthCountryWoods
06-01-2012, 18:59
Camels Hump and Mansfield are the two highest mountains in Vermont.

Actually Camels Hump is tied for 3rd highest with Mt Ellen. Killington is 2nd. And I agree. It's alotta up and down....you would go from the 3rd highest peak, to the lowest altitude on the trail....to the highest peak in 3 days.

Excellent hike tho, but also thru the most popular areas. Avoid on holiday weekends. And there's no more LT Tavern when you get to VT15 either.

Cookerhiker
06-01-2012, 19:10
Of course the terrain is rugged and Camels Hump & Mansfield are vigorous climbs. But don't overlook the section in between them for difficulty. Specifically, the part between Jonesville and Taylor Lodge is 98% up-and-down. I found it quite tiring.

Lady Grey
06-01-2012, 20:19
Great stretch of the trail, but definitely also one of the most challenging pieces. I live near Camel's Hump and the unrelenting miles from the top of Camel's Hump down to Rte. 2 in Jonesville are tough, only to have to head back up again toward Mt. Mansfield. You'll definitely have some of the best views in the state on these exposed summits. The Long Trail Tavern is sadly gone, but Johnson's not much further down the road and it's a small but fun town with some eating options. If you need to and/or from transportation, send me a personal message (don't know if I'll be available but might have some ideas). You may end up in Johnson wanting to continue the trek north; the northern third of the trail is my favorite!

stranger
06-01-2012, 22:49
Of course the terrain is rugged and Camels Hump & Mansfield are vigorous climbs. But don't overlook the section in between them for difficulty. Specifically, the part between Jonesville and Taylor Lodge is 98% up-and-down. I found it quite tiring.

Haha....ahhhhh, that day sucks! That is a little grind I remember it well, took us ages to do those 15 miles. Hoping it might be kinder sobo this August!

mirabela
06-02-2012, 16:32
All the above comments re: terrain are true. It's a wonderful stretch of trail, also pretty tough.

If it were me, I'd shift the whole operation just a little to the south. Put in at Appalachian Gap (route 17) and hike to Rt. 108 (Smugglers Notch). If you are feeling strong and making quicker time than you planned on, you can always push on to Beaver Meadow or Rt. 15. This way you get to do Baby and Molly Stark, Burnt Rock, and the Allens, which IMO are some of the very, very best of what the LT has to offer. Either way, though, you really can't go wrong. It's pretty tough hiking, and very slippery when wet, but SO pretty.

brdaaw
06-04-2012, 12:37
All the above comments re: terrain are true. It's a wonderful stretch of trail, also pretty tough.

If it were me, I'd shift the whole operation just a little to the south. Put in at Appalachian Gap (route 17) and hike to Rt. 108 (Smugglers Notch). If you are feeling strong and making quicker time than you planned on, you can always push on to Beaver Meadow or Rt. 15. This way you get to do Baby and Molly Stark, Burnt Rock, and the Allens, which IMO are some of the very, very best of what the LT has to offer. Either way, though, you really can't go wrong. It's pretty tough hiking, and very slippery when wet, but SO pretty.

How many miles would that be? Any other opinions on ^^^ hike opposed to the one I linked to?

DavidNH
06-04-2012, 14:24
while this section of the LT (From before Camel's Hump to Route 15 at Johnson) is very beautiful, it's also probably the most physically challenging section of the trail. Lots of up and down, sometimes lots of very steep up and down!

brdaaw
06-06-2012, 02:26

Any comments on this alternative?

Cookerhiker
06-06-2012, 06:36
I would push the starting point further south to Lincoln Gap where you hike up to Mt. Abraham, a panoramic 4,000 footer and thence along the Lincoln Ridge to Mt. Ellen before dropping down into Appalachian Gap at Rt. 17. It's a beautiful walk with views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. The final descent to Appalachian Gap is very steep.

NorthCountryWoods
06-08-2012, 15:42
Any comments on this alternative?

59 Miles. Not a bad shift. Adds the monroe skyline and drops sterling pond and Madonna Mt. IMHO a positive gain. Sterling pond is very nice after Mansfield and the notch, but the skyline is one of my favorite stretches of trail. Also drops you on the road to Stowe which has much more after hike food and lodging than Johnson.

brdaaw
06-29-2012, 09:03
59 Miles. Not a bad shift. Adds the monroe skyline and drops sterling pond and Madonna Mt. IMHO a positive gain. Sterling pond is very nice after Mansfield and the notch, but the skyline is one of my favorite stretches of trail. Also drops you on the road to Stowe which has much more after hike food and lodging than Johnson.

Any suggestions on where to park at the northern end in stowe? I plan to leave one car there for a week.

NorthCountryWoods
07-01-2012, 19:34
Any suggestions on where to park at the northern end in stowe? I plan to leave one car there for a week.

Not sure. You could call or email Smugglers Notch SP and see if you can park that long....of course there would be a fee. I do not recommend leaving a car on one of the pulloffs or the LT parking lot on the notch road. Vandalism is frequent, especially on out of state cars.

If the State park doesn't work out, you could call the ski areas and ask to use the overflow lots. Spruce Peak/Stowe Mountain in Stowe or Smugglers Notch in Jeffersonville. Smuggs used to allow free parking, but not sure if they do anymore.

brdaaw
07-09-2012, 14:18
[QUOTE=NorthCountryWoods;1297351]59 Miles. Not a bad shift. Adds the monroe skyline and drops sterling pond and Madonna Mt. IMHO a positive gain. Sterling pond is very nice after Mansfield and the notch, but the skyline is one of my favorite stretches of trail. Also drops you on the road to Stowe which has much more after hike food and lodging than Johnson.[/

Just finished this Friday. It was definitely an awesome section. Did anywhere from 6.5 to ~14miles per day.