PDA

View Full Version : After a mulit day section hike, whats in your vehicle for the ride home?

BoiledPeanut
06-01-2012, 10:27
The one thing you have to have right away?

Cold beer (how to stay cold), snickers (how to keep from melting), so I guess I will go with gallon jugs of water and towels for a quick bath.

max patch
06-01-2012, 10:48
Depends on how many days (2 days or 2 weeks?) and how close a convenience store is to the trailhead.

max patch
06-01-2012, 10:50
Always have water, towel, and clean clothes regardless of the length of the trip.

atmilkman
06-01-2012, 10:54
A milk. An ice cold milk. Last thing I drink before I start, one at every resupply, and definitely one for the ride home. Just did 11 days on the Pinhoti and "Shuttle Shellie" (that's my wife) provided us with some excellent resupplies - fruit, cokes, etc. but #1 is milk. Gotta have that milk. If you're ever on the trail with me I'll drive you crazy about it. You'll finally say "will you shut up about that milk." (lol)

Veetack
06-01-2012, 11:07
Milk or Mountain Dew. Definitely a McDonald's stop planned on my drive, pack of smokes. milkman, I definitely understand the milk thing. I think I've drank a gallon of the stuff on this town stop. I'll to the same thing when I get home.

Whack-a-mole
06-01-2012, 11:44
I may sound like a snob, but clean clothes and a stick of deodorant. I may be a dirty hiker, but at least I won't smell like one !!

atmilkman
06-01-2012, 11:59
I may sound like a snob, but clean clothes and a stick of deodorant. I may be a dirty hiker, but at least I won't smell like one !!
You ain't a snob. A clean shirt feels good. This time of year I hike wringing wet from start to finish. When I get set up for the night that dry shirt is a treat. Next morning the wet clothes go back on, that's just the way it is, soaking wet all day long. Clean feels good.

Ktaadn
06-01-2012, 13:18
For me, it's not just clean clothes, but clean cotton clothes. The synthetic hiking clothes get old. Other than that, water and maybe sandals.

hikerboy57
06-01-2012, 13:21
directions to the nearest mcds.
and a clean cotton tshirt,jeans,mocassins

daddytwosticks
06-01-2012, 13:41
Agree about the sandals for my feet. Clean clothes are a must also. :)

Hoop
06-01-2012, 13:46
I usually try to find a cup of good fresh coffee asap because I have a long ride home.

Mags
06-01-2012, 14:06
A clean set of clothes, sandals, a camp chair and a cooler of cold drinks. Love kickin' back by the trailhead for a little bit before rushing into the car again. :)

coach lou
06-01-2012, 14:10
I usually try to find a cup of good fresh coffee asap because I have a long ride home.

Amen, brother!

atmilkman
06-01-2012, 14:13
A clean set of clothes, sandals, a camp chair and a cooler of cold drinks. Love kickin' back by the trailhead for a little bit before rushing into the car again. :)

+1 on this. It's hard to leave the trail. I like hanging around, looking back at the trail and saying, "man that was fun."

rocketsocks
06-01-2012, 14:37
For me it use to be some cold ones chillin in a cooler,but most of them were gone before the trip got started,i'd be lucky to find one floating in some luke warm buggy,nasty cooler water....No more boy,I'm on the straight and narrow.My car kit now consists of change of clothes,cool drinks of water,gatorpee and if I didn't get a chance to buy some bady wipes,then I'll fold up some paper towels and put them in 2 seperate zip lock bags,one with a dilute solution of liquid soap and water,and another with just water.

Skid.
06-03-2012, 16:14
Fresh fruit, the juicier the better.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 16:24
Full tank of gas, half-pack of Twizzlers, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses........