PDA

View Full Version : Roclites or Lone Peaks?

Barbarella
06-01-2012, 10:34
I am a weekend warrior. Hoping to hike the AT next year. Plantar Fascitis put me under this year. Coddled my feet for 3 months with no relief. Have decided to swing 180 with my approach. Hiked for 4 days this past weekend in Crocs. Cannot wear my running shoes or my Keen boots. KILL MY FEET. Walking barefoot whenever possible and strengthening my feet. The crocs felt wonderful in that my feet were protected but could flex and move freely. Looking for a shoe that will do the same. Have researched extensively and narrowed it to these two. Tried on minimus and pace glove. Not enough protection or sole protection. Worried about rocks, stubbing toes and roots. Also don't want gortex. Want to be able to walk through streams, creeks, rain, etc and shoes dry quickly. Anyone worn Roclites or Lone Peaks and have feedback? I have a long skinny foot with a super high arch and do not want stability shoes. I need a neutral, flexible, lightweight shoe that can support the weight of me and my pack ( 200 lbs combined) I'm not fat, just tall and solid.

gearfreak
06-01-2012, 11:18
I wear the Roclite 295's (http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Roclite-295.html?L=26) and really like them. They're light, breathable and really grip well. I've swapped out the foot beds for Superfeet Green. I still have a great deal of respect for my Keen Targhee boots, but I don't see myself going back. I suffered from a bit of plantar fasciitis prior to my first long hike in these shoes. It was my right foot and I wore a night brace for about a month prior to leaving. This made a big difference. I never had any discomfort on a 100 mile hike. Mine are one size larger than normal. I may opt for 1/2 size larger on the next pair. I notice some wear on the inside of the right heel which may be due to the size.

Barbarella
06-01-2012, 11:36
I'm looking at the Roclite 268. It has a little heel drop as you know, but not a zero heel drop like the Lone Peak.
I wore a night brace and tried 4 different insoles including orthotics and heat moldable. The ONLY shoes I can walk in comfortably are my Crocs. Even bought a pair of Birks. I have spent over $500 on plantar fascitis aids with no relief. Only when I started using my feet did things start to improve. I don't want a pair of shoes that are going to encase my feet and prevent them from flexing and moving as they are meant to. No more box boots or shoes for me. The problem is, none of the stores carry these shoes- online ordering only- so with the money I've already spent, I'm hesitant to spend more until I feel pretty certain. I did just buy some Berry Superfeet and put those in my running shoes 2 days ago for my nightly walks with my dogs. Can you use the Roclites and/or Lone Peaks on pavement too?

I wear the Roclite 295's (http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Roclite-295.html?L=26) and really like them. They're light, breathable and really grip well. I've swapped out the foot beds for Superfeet Green. I still have a great deal of respect for my Keen Targhee boots, but I don't see myself going back. I suffered from a bit of plantar fasciitis prior to my first long hike in these shoes. It was my right foot and I wore a night brace for about a month prior to leaving. This made a big difference. I never had any discomfort on a 100 mile hike. Mine are one size larger than normal. I may opt for 1/2 size larger on the next pair. I notice some wear on the inside of the right heel which may be due to the size.

Hoop
06-01-2012, 16:36
Not a female, but I wear the Roclite 315 which is just a bit beefier than the 295. Very satisfied with them so far. Better grip on slippery surfaces than my Keens for sure.

Rif
08-31-2012, 08:47
Barbarella,

I am not sure the Lone peak has a womans model. I am a man with wide feet and find them very roomy on me. With a narrow foot you may have way too much room. if you do try them I suggest ordering from a store with a good return policy and wearing them indoors a few days. I think these are ones you will know whether they will work immediately if you try them on, but I suspect they will be way too wide.

I love them myself and they have plenty of cushion underneather but not as squishy as Crocs. The treat pattern is great for any trail and I did use them on the street. I think the agressive pattern gives a bit too much street grip though as I would blister with street wear in these but not trail wear. Altra does make a street version specifically for women, the Intuition. Same basic shoe and last but with a smoother street friendly tread. In these models Altra does have both womens and mens lasts, just not sure about the Lone Peak.

Very breathable mesh uppers that dry quickly and they come with nice insoles, some models with two insole options included with each pair.

I love my Altras so much I actually own the Lone peak for hiking and two pair of Instincts, one pair of Adams and one pair of Samsons all for street use or casual wear. You won't find a wider shoe out there with such a round toe box.

Tony

LadybugPicnic
08-31-2012, 10:31
There is a women's model of Lone Peak - http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_15151_18952_75508_176914 I have "problem" feet and have been wearing Vibram Five Fingers (Spyridon & Treksport) for my day-to-day walking around as well as for day hikes and they have done my feet a lot of good. However, for longer hikes, I need a bit more protection and both of these shoes (Lone Peak and Roclite) look like just the ticket, so good to see the comments here. I start the A.T. next April and need good trail shoes that are light, durable, and comfortable. There are so many options out there it makes it very difficult to narrow it down!

Rif
08-31-2012, 11:46
Ladybug,

Thanks for the correction on the womens models. The sizing on Altras do vary just as they show on their website. The Lone Peaks fit my just as labeled and i went a full size up on the Intuition, Adam and Samson and they feel the same to me. There is a good half to full size difference between the running models and the trail model with the trail model feeling true to size in the mens at least.

Great shoes!

Tony