PDA

View Full Version : Cooking at Shelters

WIAPilot
06-01-2012, 15:57
I know that for everyone who has hiked the AT, this will seem dumb, but do most of you cook dinner in one of the camp areas at a shelter and then tent elsewhere?

Monkeywrench
06-01-2012, 17:05
Most people cook dinner at the shelter, then either sleep in the shelter or camp adjacent to the shelter.

Moose2001
06-01-2012, 17:26
Most people cook dinner at the shelter, then either sleep in the shelter or camp adjacent to the shelter.

My experience as well.

Slo-go'en
06-01-2012, 17:28
Many shelters have a picnic table which is used for cooking on. Some shelters have a place along an outside wall for cooking. If neither of these options are available or if it's raining out, most cook inside the shelter.

mountain squid
06-01-2012, 17:28
If I am eating dinner at the shelter I'll likely be staying there (I can't recall a time when I didn't). There have been a few times when I ate before getting to the shelter and then hiked to the shelter and camped. But those were usually longer mileage days when I would arrive at the shelter after dinner time.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2012, 17:32
I almost always cook diner where I sleep, regardless if it's a shelter or just a camping spot.

moldy
06-01-2012, 19:24
I usually camp near shelters then cook at the shelters picnic table. I hike alone all day long and it's the only way to get social interaction,shoot the bull and catch up on the latest news etc.

Miner
06-01-2012, 21:37
As I'm planning on camping away from shelters, I was planning on stopping at a shelter for dinner (if I'm by one near dinner time), chatting with other hikers, looking through the register and then hiking on a couple of miles further til my body says its ready to stop for the night. But I'm from out west where such things are more common, especially in bear country.

BobTheBuilder
06-01-2012, 22:07
I almost always tent or hammock, but I plan my daily mileage more or less around ending at a shelter. The picnic table for cooking and eating is a pretty good deal, as well as reading the register, doing a crossword, and seeing other humans. Alot of times I make a little fire in the fire pit, which can be surprisingly enjoyable after a day of hiking. Also, after dinner, all I really want to do is watch the sun set and go to sleep, so I would struggle with the concept of hiking on and getting all sweaty again. Shelters usually have a water source, too, so that makes them a nice place to spend 12 hours.

fiddlehead
06-01-2012, 23:02
I'm one of those who tend to cook and eat at or near the shelters because that's often where the water is. (and I like to read the journal)
But then move on.
The first and last hour of sun for the day is my favorite time to be hiking.
More wildlife, less people on the trail.

I like to walk until dark and then sleep wherever that happens to be.
I've even slept right on the trail already. (yeah, yeah, i know it's against the rules, but who's finding me?)

As my wife would say: Up to you!

Slo-go'en
06-01-2012, 23:19
I've even slept right on the trail already. (yeah, yeah, i know it's against the rules, but who's finding me?)

Umm, that can be dangerous up in Maine/NH or Vermont. Moose often use the trail as a highway and you don't want to have a moose step on your head while laying in the middle of a trail !!! Of course, deer and many other critters also use the AT highway at night. That's why it's advisable to at least move off the trail by a few feet.

Skyline
06-01-2012, 23:55
More often than not, I'll cook and eat dinner at a shelter. About half the time I'll set up a tent within 1/4-mi. of the shelter....but never sleep in the actual shelter. Other times, I'll get water there but after dinner I'll hike on until just before dusk and set up the tent in a good place (look for one or more of these: level as possible/views/near stream or spring).

Of course, bad weather will necessitate being more flexible but I hardly ever sleep inside a shelter.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2012, 23:02
Yes. Although I usually stop at a water source to make my dinner . Then I move on after and keep hiking and later find a camping (sleeping) spot.

Not Sunshine
06-06-2012, 00:09
Yes. Although I usually stop at a water source to make my dinner . Then I move on after and keep hiking and later find a camping (sleeping) spot.

I agree. It's nice to get the water filtered where you're cooking; chat with hikers at the shelter; jot a note in the register; then hike a little more and sleep soundly not listening to mice scurrying around your head or someone in the vicinity snoring. I leave the smell of food/cooking at the shelter; some part of my subconscious makes me think I'm safer from bear/mice when I'm not sleeping where I'm cooking.

fiddlehead
06-06-2012, 05:36
Umm, that can be dangerous up in Maine/NH or Vermont. Moose often use the trail as a highway and you don't want to have a moose step on your head while laying in the middle of a trail !!! Of course, deer and many other critters also use the AT highway at night. That's why it's advisable to at least move off the trail by a few feet.

How's this? 16208

coach lou
06-06-2012, 05:43
That looks like 200mm from trail.

Del Q
06-06-2012, 21:24
OK, can't resist.............I'LL BE THE BIG BAD BEAR

Cooking at the shelter, in the shelter, picnic table, whatever.

Remember guys, I can smell for like 5 miles.......................FIVE MILES

There's NOT A LOT OF GREAT FOOD IN THE WOODS.................RIGHT?

I am big, hungry, I smell too, (get over yourselves), be my size and try to fill up every day...on friggin berries, right! BS on that!!!

You are cooking pasta, ramen noodles, peanut butter, beer(yum), beans, whatever..................smells awesome to me and all of my buddies

Mice, chipmunks, skunks, possums, raccoons, porcupines, bears...............and you bitch that we show up at the shelters????

Then you hang your leftover food just out of our reach?

Come on, play fair this year!

fredmugs
06-07-2012, 22:02
I have a hard time making myself take long enough breaks so if I'm bringing a dehydrated meal I will sometimes prepare it during a break and then it will be nice and ready to eat when I get to my final destination. If I'm not cooking food at night I pretty much graze all day and don't really have a big meal at the end of the day.

Whack-a-mole
06-08-2012, 10:27
Ya'll are missing THE most important part about a shelter.......the privy!

Toli
06-08-2012, 10:42
OK, can't resist.............I'LL BE THE BIG BAD BEAR

Cooking at the shelter, in the shelter, picnic table, whatever.

Remember guys, I can smell for like 5 miles.......................FIVE MILES

There's NOT A LOT OF GREAT FOOD IN THE WOODS.................RIGHT?

I am big, hungry, I smell too, (get over yourselves), be my size and try to fill up every day...on friggin berries, right! BS on that!!!

You are cooking pasta, ramen noodles, peanut butter, beer(yum), beans, whatever..................smells awesome to me and all of my buddies

Mice, chipmunks, skunks, possums, raccoons, porcupines, bears...............and you bitch that we show up at the shelters????

Then you hang your leftover food just out of our reach?

Come on, play fair this year!

Seriously??? Thats classic... Thanks :D