PDA

View Full Version : Roclites, Lone Peaks or ???? Adidas?

Barbarella
06-01-2012, 17:14
I am a weekend warrior. Hoping to hike the AT next year. Plantar Fascitis put me under this year. Coddled my feet for 3 months with no relief. Have decided to swing 180 with my approach. Hiked for 4 days this past weekend in Crocs. Cannot wear my running shoes or my Keen boots. KILL MY FEET. Walking barefoot whenever possible and strengthening my feet. The crocs felt wonderful in that my feet were protected but could flex and move freely. Tried on minimus and pace glove. Not enough protection. Worried about rocks, stubbing toes and roots. Also don't want gortex. Want to be able to walk through streams, creeks, rain, etc and shoes dry quickly. Anyone worn Roclites or Lone Peaks and have feedback? I have a long skinny foot with a super high arch and do not want stability shoes. I need a neutral, flexible, lightweight shoe that can support the weight of me and my pack ( 200 lbs combined) I'm not fat, just tall and solid.

leaftye
06-01-2012, 17:41
There are lots of different Roclites. I've tried the 295, 315 and 370. The 370 is the discontinued non-goretex version of the 390. I like the 295 best. I haven't tried the Lone Peak shoes, but they're next on my list.

I don't know that either of these shoes are right for you though since you say you have skinny feet.

The weight of me and my pack are usually well north of 250 lbs.

Miner
06-01-2012, 18:12
The Roclite 295 is a good flexible shoe that lets you feel the terrain you are walking on, but the softer rubber sole doesn't last that long as a result. The roclite 315 is a very durable shoe that will last a long time, but its a harder sole that doesn't flex as much. I used 315's on my PCT thru-hike and they easily went the 600 miles I required of them (the outsides and sole could have gone much farther) though I had to add some insoles for more support otherwise my feet would hurt.

Barbarella
06-01-2012, 21:50
I'm looking at the women's 268. Claims to be narrower to fit a woman's foot. Don't think i want Gortex.

There are lots of different Roclites. I've tried the 295, 315 and 370. The 370 is the discontinued non-goretex version of the 390. I like the 295 best. I haven't tried the Lone Peak shoes, but they're next on my list.

I don't know that either of these shoes are right for you though since you say you have skinny feet.

The weight of me and my pack are usually well north of 250 lbs.

Deacon
06-02-2012, 07:21
I've coupled the 295's with Sole brand moldable insert, which gives great support, especially if you have high arches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
06-02-2012, 16:15
I'm looking at the women's 268. Claims to be narrower to fit a woman's foot. Don't think i want Gortex.

Many woman I know, prefer to wear men's shoes on long hikes due to how their feet end of up spreading and swell. Your feet will likely enlongate some as well. What ever you use, make sure its sized up over what you normally use at home. It will at least help keeping you from bruising and possibly loosing your toe nails from your toes jamming into the front of the shoe on steep downhills.

I developed a minor case of what seemed to be Plantar Fascitis on my PCT thru-hike. Stopping every hour or so to so stretches related to it kept it from getting worse. At the very minimum, I'd recommend stretching at every break.

grok120
06-03-2012, 08:53
The low cut Keenes don't bother my feet and I've had plantar fasciitis 3x.

Barbarella
06-03-2012, 19:51
thanks guys, ive decided. purchased some saucony kinvara 2's to start walking and hopefully running in and I plan to purchase the Terrafly 297 GTX for hiking. Going to start working toward dropping my heel and strengthening my feet. the conventional wisdom has not panned out, so I got nothing to lose, except some more dough. appreciate all the feedback.