PDA

View Full Version : Journey VS Destination...

Minnitonka
06-01-2012, 23:51
Everyone has a different style. I like to take my time hiking, backpacking, enjoy the scenery and not worry too much about how fast I am going or how many miles I am covering. I know a lot of people are concearned with how many miles they hike or making it to a certain destination( it is easier for me, since I tent camp and dont have to wait to get to a shelter).

What are your thoughts? For you, is it about the journey, or the destination? And why?

jos2thehua
06-02-2012, 07:14
I'd be willing to say both. I enjoy the journey to the destination because it's the journey that matters most in the end.

Bobby
06-02-2012, 08:51
I like to hike- so I tend to keep moving until it is dark or I get to a spot that I decided a head of time is a good place to end. I too use a tent and have mastered the art of setting up almost anywhere. Sometimes I get sucked into the miles - I like to cover ground, but I like having the flexibility to stop and enjoy an unexpected adventure or beauty spot.

Thing is - hiking big miles is not about hiking faster, but just hiking longer each day. More time walking = more miles covered. To me the journey is a big big part of the destination.

Minnitonka
06-02-2012, 08:54
I like to hike- so I tend to keep moving until it is dark or I get to a spot that I decided a head of time is a good place to end. I too use a tent and have mastered the art of setting up almost anywhere. Sometimes I get sucked into the miles - I like to cover ground, but I like having the flexibility to stop and enjoy an unexpected adventure or beauty spot.

Thing is - hiking big miles is not about hiking faster, but just hiking longer each day. More time walking = more miles covered. To me the journey is a big big part of the destination.

Well stated. Thanks :sun

Old Boots
06-02-2012, 11:12
Like life it is all about the journey ---

Grampie
06-02-2012, 11:39
It makes your hike more enjoyable if you have the ability to stop and camp when you want to. If you come by a nice spot to spend the night, just do so.

topshelf
06-02-2012, 11:51
journey, when you reach the destination your hike is over...

WalksInDark
06-03-2012, 13:00
More about the journey...of course being a hammock camper....there are lots of places to stop for the afternoon or the night. When I tent camp, not so much.