PDA

View Full Version : Started training for a marathon

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 10:19
I'm running the Marine Corp marathom in October in DC, I hope it will get me in shape for an all out assault on the AT next March.
wish me luck
David:)

Lone Wolf
04-11-2005, 10:44
I'm running the Mountain Masochist 50 mile Trail Run in October. Anybody want to join me? Good luck ArkVol.

Mags
04-11-2005, 11:26
That's awesome! Training for a marathon will get you in great cardio shape for any endurance sport (like thru-hiking!), just realize that while there are some similariries there are some differences as well.

Started running myself a little over 2 yrs ago. Have done two marathons so far and one ultra (52.4). Since I'm slow, the long distance races appeal to me. :) I am doing the Ft. Collins marathon in one month, then another ultra in June (San Juan Solstice 50 miler).

Anyway, best of luck! Running can be a another great (if different way) of enjoying the outdoors. Have you tried trail running? On a cool crisp fall day with some gently rolling trail, trail running can be fun.

Finally: Start slow...then taper off! The Penguin Motto!
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-187-189-0-911,00.html

The author of the article has a great quote for not just runing, but for thru-hiking or any activity that requires commitment:

"The miracle isn't that I finished..the miracle is that I had the courage to start"
--John "The Penguin" Bingham

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 11:41
Im just bought Penguins book, thanks:D Yes Im starting very slow, Im 6'1" x 275, but solid steel and sex appeal underneath, used to be a a good athlete until I got married and had to get a job. ;)