PDA

View Full Version : Need Sleeping Bag suggestion

Newb
04-11-2005, 11:25
hey all.

I just got done camping in 37 degree sleeping weather and had a terrible time in my North Face Down 20 degree bag (I think it's model name is Aztec). My head was cold, and then my body sweated and I couldn't get my temp right.

Well, for the spring and summer the evenings will be warmer. What rate bag do people use in the summer on the trail? Down or synthetic? Is 50 degrees about the right rating?

"ME & U"
04-11-2005, 12:30
We used 20 degree TNF Cat's Meows and have been using them since. Good bag, good rating, and not too expensive. The EMS boreal 20 is the same bag and even cheaper.

schwenkler
04-11-2005, 12:37
My head was cold, and then my body sweated and I couldn't get my temp rightFirst thing I would do is PUT ON A HAT, then, depending on how hot I was, take off some clothes, unzip the bag part way, etc. The hat is the important part, especially for colder temperatures.

In the summer I use a Marmot Trails rectangular bag. I think the lining/insulation is their DriClime material, it feels like microfleece and it wicks sweat, the bag is cheap ($100) light (20 oz) roomy, comfortable, and feels great to sleep in naked.

Unless it's cold. As a summer (not 3-season) bag it's perfect for me.

I forgot, one more thing. Unlike a down/synthetic bag, the insulation doesn't absorb moisture (it breathes REALLY well), so if you're cold or sleeping late or whatever, you can pull your head into the bag and close the drawstring over your head. This is totally comfortable, you can breath right through the bag. I did this at least half the time I slept in it. In this configuration, with long johns and a hat, I slept in mid-30s one night. (I think because it makes a huge difference not to lose the heat you exhale.)

chris
04-11-2005, 14:35
A western mountaineering highlite weighs a pound, costs about $200, and is an honest 40 degree bag. If you are expecting colder temps, wear a set of thermals and a fleece, hat, and socks to bed. I wouldn't go pushing much into the 20s, though. I used the Highlite on the PCT in 2003 with (mostly) good success and on last summer's section hike of the AT, where it was perfect. I'm still debating if it or the WM Ultralight (20 degree version) will come with me this summer.

Peaks
04-11-2005, 16:32
We used 20 degree TNF Cat's Meows and have been using them since. Good bag, good rating, and not too expensive. The EMS boreal 20 is the same bag and even cheaper.

That's a good bag, and a popular bag for cool weather. However, in the heat of the summer, it's too warm for me. I use a TNF 40 degree bag then.

plodder
04-11-2005, 18:42
The EMS bag I crawled into was considerably tighter than the Cat's Meow. Old style was $79 last week in Augusta. 3D. New was delta. Check the zipper for yourself, but $79!

jackiebolen
04-11-2005, 23:40
I picked up a Mountain Hardwear Phanton, 45 degree down bag at the outfitter in Waynesboro and was very happy with it. It weighs just over a pound and packs crazy-small. It really did keep my quite warm even when it hovered around freezing, although I did use a fleece hat, and a silk sleeping bag liner.

Bmillonduhat
04-12-2005, 00:05
I'm going to be starting my thru in mid february of 06 at springer... Would the cat's meow and a liner be sufficient enough? Some say that I should definitely have a down bag instead. I was also looking at the REI sub kilo but if I can save that $50 I'd be happy. Somebody let me know what ya think please.

The Will
04-12-2005, 11:52
Well, for the spring and summer the evenings will be warmer. What rate bag do people use in the summer on the trail? Down or synthetic? Is 50 degrees about the right rating?
Is there a specific region you will be hiking in? If I had to provide a general answer the question of what is a good temp rating for a summer bag I would say is between 30-40 degrees....considering that backpacking often takes place a higher elevations, upper 30's to lower 40's are not out of the question even in July and August.

erichlf
04-12-2005, 13:37
Any thing Western Mountaineering

LIhikers
04-13-2005, 08:03
For summer hiking, where night time temps will still be warm, I use a fleece blanket. It weighs almost nothing, but it is kind of bulky.

erichlf
04-13-2005, 13:21
With my Highlight I have been down to 20F. I had all my clothes on and was toasty warm. I don't think I actually needed all my clothes, but... I may sleep warmer than most though. I love my Highlite.