PDA

View Full Version : replacing tent pole cords

RockyTrail
04-11-2005, 14:25
The elastic cord inside the poles of my Sierra Design Light Year needs to be replaced. Does anybody know how you non-destructively remove the pole ends to attach new cord? Is it a friction fit or is there glue involved? Where can you get the cord? I don't mind fixing it myself; or maybe there are places that can do it for a reasonable price? Thanks in advance!

Stoker53
04-11-2005, 15:03
If you are not in a hurry simply contatc SD for a return authorization number and they can do it for you. Tips are a press fit and the old ones, once removed, cannot be reused.

Doctari
04-11-2005, 19:50
Most outfitters sell the very thin cords, even WalMart has kits from time to time. Not familure with the SD stuff, but all the ones I have fixed simply had the ends of the cord tied in a knot (one was also hot glued at each end, the repair has held for 4 years no hot glue) simply work the knot free, maybe using needle nose pliars, untie the knot or cut the cord, re-thread & re-tie. Takes me about 2 minutes per pole. Some kits (the one from Wally World did) have a thin piece of wire to help with the threading. You may want to take a piece of the old one with you, the bungy do come in a few different diamiters, you want one that will fit the opening or YOUR poles.

Doctari.

"ME & U"
04-11-2005, 22:53
EMS sells a replacement cord that will work and Iv'e repaired my SD's no prob. The ends do fit back in.

RockyTrail
04-12-2005, 21:51
Thanks everyone for the help; I figured out how to get the Sierra Design pole ends off to replace the shock cord.

The ends are threaded with a standard right-hand thread and simply unscrew (turn counterclockwise to remove). Mine were initally stuck, but once they turn, they come right out where you can reattach a new cord through a hole in the endpiece. Piece of cake. There is a slight dimple on the side of the pole near the end; this dimple forms the mating thread that the endpiece screws into. You can get replacement shock cord at REI or EMS, it measures out to be 3/32" in diameter, it's only about 15 cents a foot. :) Thanks again, happy trails...