PDA

View Full Version : Boot Fit i.e. "last"

TickPicker
04-11-2005, 19:30
The guy at the local backpacking store told me that Vasque boots had a "last" (sp?) made to fit American feet and that not all boots did. Does anyone know what other boots have an "american last" if there is such a thing................:jump

kncats
04-12-2005, 07:02
The guy at the local backpacking store told me that Vasque boots had a "last" (sp?) made to fit American feet and that not all boots did. Does anyone know what other boots have an "american last" if there is such a thing................:jump
Be careful, you may not have an "American" foot. Different footwear manufacturers are known to generally have a last that fits a particular type of foot better than others. From what I've been able to determine, Vasque boots tend to fit what is an "average" foot for people living in the States. I have an extremely average American male foot (9 1/2 D) and Vasque boots fit great. My wife however has a low volume, long foot. When looking for boots for her we were steered towards Montrail as that is their reputation. My limited experience with Salomon indicates that their footwear tends toward the high volume side. I would only use any of these (or any one elses) recommendations as a guideline for starting though, the fit on your own foot is all that really matters. And manufacturers tend to vary between their boots and trailrunners. When we switched from mid-weight hiking boots to trailrunners my wife ended up with a pair of Vasques that fit her low volume feet fantastically.

Peaks
04-12-2005, 07:52
OK, but what makes you think that you have an "average" American foot?

Every boot manufacturers uses different lasts. So, your challenge is to find the boot manufacturer that fits your feet the best. Certainly there is no one boot that fits all.

As previously posted, to find what boot fits you best, make an appointment with the best boot fitter at your local outfitter. Go late in the day. Take your hiking socks with you. (And if you use a footbed like Superfeet, then take them with you also. They do change the fit.) Be prepared to spend hours trying on different boots and walking around.

It doesn't matter what brand fits me best, or fits others best. It's all about what fits your feet the best.

Newb
04-12-2005, 08:21
I have a 10 1/2 narrow foot and my feet slide around in most boots which is bad. I was at a DISCOUNT shoe store in Illinois and found Hi-Tech hiking boots on sale for 27.50. They fit perfectily. I've now broken them in and hiked over 80 miles in them on rough terrain with NO blisters.

It's all about tryin on the boots and seeing what fits. Don't be seduced by a fancy brand name or think that it has to be expensive to be good. Hi-Tech makes a good boot, they are even used by the US Air Force. Try on everything.

dje97001
04-12-2005, 09:33
Okay, so it is probably just a commercialized version of what your "experienced" local boot fitter can do... but a lot of us don't have "experienced" local boot fitters... we got help from a guy whose company (Trailblazer) had just sent him to a course in the fitsystem... he measured volume, standing and sitting lengths, width, checked for overpronation, etc. We got my wife a pair of boots that day, and she hasn't had any blisters yet either... and we are talking about some pretty solid leather boots too (scarpas). She says they fit really well. When we're ready to get my boots we are going back.

TickPicker
04-12-2005, 09:50
This is all great information folks......unfortunately, I live in the land of the dimpled chad (florida) and there are very few experienced hiking shoe folks near me. There is only one backpacking store and he only sells two styles off vasque (can't affored to stock more) so I'm very limited. Several online stores have told me they have liberal return policies....but are there online stores that have someone who can "talk" you through a purchase and get it close????

Steve..........the land of the dimpled chad:jump