PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Pinhoti Trail, end of May

Tractor
04-11-2005, 21:21
I've about decided to take a walk on the Pinhoti trail, about May 27 thru June 3 ish. Just downloaded Solo's "Handbook" and the section info from alabamatrail.org. I'll go nobo (seems natural to me). I've read a few posts and would like any other advice ya'll might want to share. Also let me know if any of u are going there about that same time and we might save ourselves some trouble with transportation. Anybody want to hike Alabama?

neo
04-11-2005, 21:50
I've about decided to take a walk on the Pinhoti trail, about May 27 thru June 3 ish. Just downloaded Solo's "Handbook" and the section info from alabamatrail.org. I'll go nobo (seems natural to me). I've read a few posts and would like any other advice ya'll might want to share. Also let me know if any of u are going there about that same time and we might save ourselves some trouble with transportation. Anybody want to hike Alabama?
i have done alittle backpacking on the pinhoti trail and other trails in talladegga national forest,its awsome,me and my 2 boys went on a 3 day hike in oct 2002
i am planning on doing the pinhoti this year also,the trail pass thru cheaha state park,alabamas highest point 2407 ft.the inn in the park has a great resturant
we had breakfast there,also a camp store next door,i love that area,the inn and
store are only a few minutes walk from the trail:cool: neo

SGT Rock
04-11-2005, 22:10
I did it in 2000. Personally I reccomend you try to do it all in one shot without re-supply.

I did it North-south which is also fine. The only problem I really had was figuring out exactly where the trail was around one public like area.

greatbahen
04-12-2005, 01:20
I was looking into doing it sometime in May. I was thinking early to mid May though.

Tractor
04-12-2005, 11:51
Rock. So you recommend north to south then?

Neo. I will try to work in that breakfast. Sounds good.

I just might have some flexability on when I go? Might could work out some tranportation arrangement(s) with someone(s). Even if we crossed paths toward the other side, whatever works.

If this all goes, I will try to post back on what i find and how it went. Thanks Muchly.

MOWGLI
04-12-2005, 11:55

Tractor, I did a NOBO and that was cool. A SOBO would give you a perspective of reaching the end of the Appalachian Mountain Chain. The northern section is more rugged than the southern section. Whatever you choose, have a great hike. Here's a link to my Pinhoti journal;

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2761

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 13:09

Neo. I will try to work in that breakfast. Sounds good.

I just might have some flexability on when I go? Might could work out some tranportation arrangement(s) with someone(s). Even if we crossed paths toward the other side, whatever works.

If this all goes, I will try to post back on what i find and how it went. Thanks Muchly.
I think you will have a good time whichever direction you go. I chose southbound because it would work better for my shuttle (wife) to get me there and get home with plenty of time on the drop off day, and on the pick-up day it would be a shorter trip so she could be more responsive when I called and have less driving on that day.

You could re-supply around the middle of the trail - there is a grocery store about 4 miles east on that highway that runs parrallell to I20 (I think that was the interstate) but if you could do it all without re-supply it means no worries about getting off the trail.

jeepcj258
04-12-2005, 16:20
I have hiked a few of the southern sections of the Pinhoti and loved every minute of it. I have also hike the silent trail and skyway loop trail that go down by lake Chinabbe, HIGHLY recommend this side trail. I have wanted to hike all of it but just have not yet. You will really enjoy it, very good trail in my opinion.

Have fun!

God Bless
Seth

NECKBONE
04-12-2005, 21:46
Tractor,
if you will still need a shuttle (& if anyone else does), let me know. Little Bear's trail journal is about the best info you can get on the trail itself. there are also some other good journals which do a good job of describing the trail on the Ala. Pinhoti Trail site. it seems like Cheaha seperates the character of the trail; north is very different than south of Cheaha. on the Pinhoti, if solitude is what your after, you will find it. in it's own way, it is a trail not to be taken lightly.
Happy trails 2 u, NECKBONE

Tractor
06-02-2005, 08:47
Well. Just completed Section 7-8 NOBO and Section 3-6 SOBO (left car at Cheaha Park - shuttled to Porter's Gap).

Neo - Did have breakfast at the park Sunday morning. Great food, great view and great place to dry off before getting a ride up to Coleman Lake area.

Over the past few months I have read several trail journals and posts about this Pinhoti Trail. Here are some of my thoughts after my little hike:

1) DO bring gaiters! or long pants or stove pipe sections for your legs (tinman look)
I failed to prepare, as such, and my legs look like a herd of cats used them as scratching posts for the past few days.

2) DO bring a compass and know how to use it because you will need to use it (or get lucky perhaps...) Also (i learned) that compass doesn't work so well under power lines.

3) I had read this was a place for solitude. You bet it is! There are some stretches that seem to have had no foot traffic in weeks/months. I didn't see anyone on trail for 3 days.

4) Although some sections are in rather good shape, others are not so good right now. There are dozens of blowdowns & leandowns as well as hundreds of slapping sapplings (say that 3 times real fast...). A few campsites and waypoints are obscured by these also (plus some of the trail markings were/are on those trees now near/horizontal rather than vertical. One LARGE/Fresh maple (north of Lower Shoal Shelter) is across at a sttep slope. Can't go around. Either backtrack and bushwack or go thru (bull in china shop). A mass-of-mess north of Cheaha Park, at the power line cut. So many trees, in so many positions, I spent maybe 30 minutes right around there and bushwacked in and around until I re-found the trail.

5) Some sections are well marked, some are not. Some blazes were on pine and the bark has fallen off. Some markings have been shot away. Some have been removed. A few spots have way too many blazes (not official and very confusing but some are just downright obvious as not real). There are some hungry trees in there (they are eating the diamonds).

6) There were several places where I may have been on the Pinhoti Trail and, then again, I may not have been on the Pinhoti Trail. Didn't matter as I was going in the proper general direction and eventually wandered into a footpath with a diamond or blue blaze. One time, NOBO in Section 7, I looked back and saw two Pinhoti Trails converging into one (diamonds in the trees). I think this was "Rocky Top #2 or was it #3?). I had not been on either one darn it.

I hope to return and check out some of those side trails and catch sections i missed this trip. Feel free to contact me on specifics about Sections 3-8 and I'll share what I can.

jeepcj258
06-03-2005, 10:28
Glad you enjoyed your trip, wish I could have gone with you. I have every intention of getting back on it and finishing it before the year is out.

God Bless
Seth