PDA

View Full Version : YOu know what I would love to do right now?

ArkVol
04-12-2005, 06:55
Pack my stuff, kiss the wife and kids good by, call the boss and tell
him to $%^# off and start my journey north:sun :D

LIhikers
04-12-2005, 08:43
ArkVol,
There's another way to do the AT. Consider section hiking, that's what my wife and I are doing. As vacation time becomes available use it to hike. Make a general hiking plan for yourself and then start working on it. Our plan is to have everything north of Harper's Ferry hiked by the time I retire. Then we can start in GA and only have to make it to HF to have done the whole trail. But if things are going well, and we're feeling good, we can just keep going and try for a full thru hike.

MOWGLI
04-12-2005, 08:47

That's called Spring(er) Fever. There is no known cure.

I echo LIhikers sentiments. Start nibbling away at it. And remember, it's not all wine & roses out there.

"ME & U"
04-12-2005, 08:48
him to $%^# off and start my journey north:sun :DDo it man! Do it!! Let us all live vicariously through you!!

Doc
04-12-2005, 09:25
I just have to reply. Two more days here at the office and I'm done. I call it quitting my day job out of fear of scaring my wife who shudders at the thought of me retiring. First plan is to bike the C and O Canal with her and then to hit the trail about May 1 or so. I will return to Pearisburg and head north, taking trail breaks for Trail Days and the ATC meeting in TN. No obligations or commitements until I decide another change is called for. I have about 700 miles left to complete and this seems to be the time to do it. Feels good to have other more traditional responsibilites behind me and to be unencumbered. See you on the Trail.

Doc

Kerosene
04-12-2005, 09:29
Congratulations, Doc, your "semi-retirement" sounds like a great way to ease into finishing the Trail. I especially like the C&O biking with spouse as a way to get her out with you a bit.

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 10:56
I get that feeling every spring. It is worse now that I live this close to the trail. :(

Hammock Hanger
04-12-2005, 11:31
Doc, congrats, enjoy.

I have the fever, bad!! Luckily I have a Benton MacKay Trip scheduled for the first of the month. I need to feel the trail under my feet and some sweat on my brow. :D

Hammock Hanger

MOWGLI
04-12-2005, 11:51
I have the fever, bad!! Luckily I have a Benton MacKay Trip scheduled for the first of the month. I need to feel the trail under my feet and some sweat on my brow. :D

Hammock Hanger

HH:

Licklog & Walhallah Mountains will certainly put some sweat on your brow! Day 2 is the toughest on a NOBO hike. I might even hear ya cussin' all the way up here in Chattanooga as ya climb those mountains. :D IMO, the BMT in Georgia is significantly tougher than the Georgia section of the AT. Youngblood happens to agree with me on that one.

Have a great hike! Keep your eyes open for Dances With Mice. I hear he's been known frequent the BMT in spring.

Little Bear

ArkVol
04-12-2005, 18:53
I get this feeling every time I finish an AT book(just fisnished Schuttes book) and reading about everyone starting their thru hikes.

Lilred
04-12-2005, 21:03
ArkVol,
There's another way to do the AT. Consider section hiking, that's what my wife and I are doing.

That's what I'm doing too. I'm going for 4-6 weeks this summer and am itching to leave like crazy. Still it's not the same as a thru.

Daddy Longlegs
04-12-2005, 21:03
go Doc go! I am right behind you! but it will be about 20 more years. as long as I get around a weekend a month and one week a year then I will be able to hold on for another 20 years.

Tractor
04-12-2005, 21:47
Do.........Not........Seek........The........Treas ure unless u are comfy with condition of family and future after and during.

I, too, have these thoughts from time to time but have settled into section hiking (500+ now, going for 700+ in about 3 months). Man I wish I could haul off and just go (actually I could do just that) but I have to consider all else as well.

I could of, I would of, I should of gone for it long ago but it didn't happen. I sorta missed the golden op.. Oh well. This has given me hike time with my son, my daughter, and not the wife but she understands. This has given me something to look forward to every year, although not the big chunk, but enough to last me until next year. If I had gone for it long ago, I would probably have not had the opportunity to have had these fond memories of the past few years because I would have already "done that".

I say test the waters, lay down a plan, look beyond a long walk and what do you see? If (and when) you see a stable homecoming - GO FOR IT! If not, have no fear, you can make it to Maine before the plumbing and the joints keep u from it. Many do and will do for years to come, just in spurts.