PDA

View Full Version : shuttles

jkhiker
04-12-2005, 10:45
i am wanting to backpack from max patch to davenport gap in the fall and i have never used a shuttle service before. how do they work and how much money do give them etc... just curious.

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 11:00
The are all a little different. Sometimes they charge about $1 per mile driven, sometimes it is just someone that likes to do it for free because they are in the area. Best bet is to go to the ATC and see what the local list contains:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/pdfs/ATshuttle.pdf

T Rex
04-12-2005, 12:38
i am wanting to backpack from max patch to davenport gap in the fall and i have never used a shuttle service before. how do they work and how much money do give them etc... just curious.There is an outfitter in Hot Springs, I forgot the name, who I 've used before and is reasonable. You can call them in advance and reserve the time and they will give you a price.

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 14:48
Rock is correct; some folks shuttle for free; some ask only for gas money. Some have set rates depending on mileage, distance. quality of roads, ammount of time the shuttle takes, etc. (Sometimes it can take somone a good deal of time to take you somewhere comparatively nearby because of the way the roads go, how they're maintained, etc., sometimes getting a hiker to a spot only a few miles away as the crow flies might take the driver an hour to get there).

The $1.00 a mile figure is quite dated; due to the much higher costs of car maintenance and especially the rising costs of insurance and gasoline, some folks will charge more than this. Any reputable shuttler will tell you EXACTLY what a trip will cost at the OUTSET of your trip; be sure of this before you accept the ride, so that there are no surprises when the ride is over.

The ATC has a great state-by-state list of shuttlers. In that area, either Curtis at Standing Bear Farm Hostel or Dan at to Bluff Mountain Outfitters would be happy to help you out.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2005, 14:52
Ask at Mountain Momas too. 828-486-5995

Brushy Sage
04-12-2005, 20:34
When I was in Hot Springs a few weeks ago, I picked up a card from Wild Bill's Shuttle Service ("You Call... I Haul..."). I know nothing about his rates. The drive from Hot Springs to Max Patch and/or Davenport Gap is more than a casual ride. If you wish to contact this gentleman and find out in advance: [email protected] or cell phone (828) 712-8083.

owl
04-12-2005, 22:06
Best bet between those points call Standing bear Hostile "Curtis" I don't know his last name at old waterville school road

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 22:32
Curtis Owen can be reached at (423) 487-0014, and he's anything but "hostile".

Standing Bear Farm and Hiker Hostel is an outstanding facility, and Curtis and Maria who run it are great frolks.