PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Trail info

bigjenz
04-12-2005, 13:04
I need info on the Dry Sluice gap trail and Hughes Ridge trail. I will be staying at Pecks corner. Thanks

Mark

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 13:13
Do you mean guid info, or do you mean info over and above the gid like current conditons? I haven't been there recently but I might try to get up there for a hike this week.

bigjenz
04-12-2005, 16:51
Just basic info on the trail. Good, Bad etc.

chris
04-12-2005, 17:31
Dry Sluice is very scenic on its upper reaches, but is, in my opinion, one of the toughest trails in the Smokys. The elevation gain from where it splits off at Bradley Fork is significant. It spits you out just to the east of Charlies Bunion, so definitely take a walk over to it. The trail was in good shape when I was last there, but that was in the fall of 2003. I'm pretty sure that I didn't have to ford Bradley Fork, but can't remember if there was a bridge or if it was a rock hop.

The upper reaches of Hughes ridge were rather overgrown last spring, and I suspect they will be this spring as well. Some nice view points. South of Pecks Corner there is a cabin that is for, I think, maintenance, but doens't show up on maps. If you go up from Smokemont on the Chasteen Creek, be aware that it is also something of a grunt, but pretty as you near the junction with Hughes Ridge.

Pecks Corner is one of my favorite shelters in the Smokys, despite the water source (it is a bit down hill). One of the remodeled shelters, it doesn't have a bear fence on it.

If you are looking for other options and really don't want to run into too many people, consider coming up from Smokemont and then cutting over on Enloe, Hyatt, Beech Gap, and Balsam Mnt. to Laurel Gap shelter. There is a ford on the 100 yards of road you have to walk between Beech Gap I and II, but it is super easy and you could take off your shoes for it.

Then, take the Balsam mountain trail up to the AT, along the AT to Pecks, and down to Smokemont on Hughes Ridge. This is a bit of trek, but there is a real sense of remoteness out there, along with excellent ramp picking (illegal) and lots of nice flowers. The connection to the AT was very brushy a few years ago, but is a nice, flat walk otherwise. Smokemont to Tricorner shelter is about 22-25 miles and something like 7000 feet of elevation gain. Enjoy!

Chip
04-12-2005, 17:56
I need info on the Dry Sluice gap trail and Hughes Ridge trail. I will be staying at Pecks corner. Thanks

Mark
Heads up! Don't forget you permit / reservation (if your not a thru hiker). I was
up on the AT at Low Gap (.8 mile north from Cosby Knob Shelter) and for the first time actually met a ranger with backpack on patrol (back on March 26th).
Have a good time !!!

Happy Trails,
Chip :)