PDA

View Full Version : The REAL "skinny" on FRANKLIN, North Carolina

solace
04-12-2005, 13:58
OK... I had wanted to write somthing reguarding FRANKLIN last year, but having now been here for my 2nd year in a row, and spending a few weeks in town, helping out fellow hikers, here is what you can TRUTHFULLY expect in this GREAT town!

Although there are MANY places to stay here, and lots of good people who are willing to give rides, there has been just one constant I want to give some props to.. and that would be Ron Haven and "Haven's Budget Inn &
The Sapphire Inn".

~ Ron has been helping hikers before anyone here knew what "trailmagic" was! Yes, he runs 2 hotels, with a FREE SHUTTLE to and from the trail.. (ie) Rock Gap, Wallace Gap, Winding Stair.. heck, he even runs hikers to Wayah Gap... a 40 min drive.

~ Even when hikers stay at other hotels, he still drops them off, and picks them up....

HERES MY BEEF.. ANY OTHER HOTLE IN FRANKLIN IS MORE EXPENSIVE, AND THEY CHARGE YOU TO GET BACK TO THE TRAIL!!!

Like the "LEECHES" at the "Franklin Inn" & the "Microtel" . . . I've had it with these folks! Honestly.. they will send up some nice old ladies to the trail crossing several times a day with some apples & oranges, they will appear to be this Nice old lady(and hey, it's like your grandma, so who is going to turn their grandmaother away!) And they will give you a ride into town to the Microtel or Franklin Inn, and then ask for a $ donation for gas... well, heres the truth the next day.... "Yeah, can I get a ride back back to the AT please?" . . . . AHH, WE DONT' GIVE RIDES, or.. well.. for $10 PER HIKER!

OR.. well.. "you need to call Ron Haven who drives a free shuttle"

SERIOUSLY!!! CMON! This is not how you treat people.. let alone thru-hikers!

~ For the past 7 years, Mr. Haven has been nothing but TRAILMAGIC to all who come to this great town! ANd if you stay anywhere else.. your crazy!

~ These "other establishments".. are ONLY interested in your MONEY! That i promise you! If you don't believe me.. then stay a night...

Heres the 2005 Hikers rates in FRANKLIN....

MICROTEL $49.95 for a single roomm ($10 for 2nd hiker)
FRANKLIN INN $44.99 for a single room ($5 for 2nd hiker)
HAVEN'S BUDGET INN & The SAPPHIRE INN
$35.00 for a single room ($5 for 2nd hiker)

***After 2 years of hiking here, and spending a few weeks to help out, I had to post the truth about Franklin!

My twin (Kick The Rocks "KTR") & Myself have never been treate dso well by the folks here...

THREE EAGLES OUTFITTERS is just great as well... Jackie & Kevin will do whatever thay can for you.. mail home old gear if your buying new stuff.. fuel by the ounce, a great staff, and the best selection I believe on the southern half of the AT!

*** For those of you who have stayed at any hotel in FRANKLIN, please post a reply with how things went for you, and your thoughts.. thanks!

This message was posted by SOLACE . . . . "Reach Farther"

Lone Wolf
04-12-2005, 14:11
The Franklin Motel is $32 single. I always stay there. Always will. They've been a "constant" for the 18 years I've been going there. Getting back to the trail was never a problem. There's a list of phone numbers in the office of trail maintainers who will shuttle you back to the AT for a few dollars which goes to the local trail club.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2005, 14:21
I just called the Microtel. Their single rate is $34.95 during the week.You shouldn't post false s**t, solace. And where is the Franklin Inn?

peter_pan
04-12-2005, 14:30
Stayed at the Franklin Inn in 2003. Nice clean room...owner made his washer and dryer available to us for free or next to nothing , I don't recall. he had a hike box...great chow in the resturaunt across the street and a grocery and hardware store all within 100 yards... two retired teachers, trail angles took us back to the trail...There were probably 20-30 or us there that night.

Pan

TOW
04-12-2005, 15:01
Solace, no matter where you hike on that trail and thru the many towns that you will enter you are going to meet people that you think ought to give the thru hikers a break. What about you? Why don't you give them a break? Listen, for some here will tell you, I was a hiker that was critical in areas that I had no business being critical in. Go with who you go with, hang out with who you hang with and hike with who you hike with. What is the true meaning of "solace" is to be comfortable in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble. Another discription of the that trail name is to give comfort, to console or to cheer another or yourslef no matter the circumstances. In other words, look past the negatives and look at the positives. Those people that you think ought to give you and all your fellow hikers a break like the man at Haven's may not be financially able to do so. I don't know the reason, it doesn't matter. The fact is, if your going to have a trail name like "solace", then back it up pal......

Nean
04-12-2005, 15:02
When in Franklin I stayed at the Inn/Motel (orange doors?) I thought the people were very nice and the rates fair. So many nice people in town, getting back to the trail was never a problem. It sounds like Ron Haven is a super person and I hope to meet him someday, perhaps stay @ his place as I enjoy checking out different places! It is too bad, IMO, that you cannot praise your friend w\o implying that these other places are conspiring to screw hikers and your friend- hiring "grandma" no less, to do the dirty work. Does the Trail really need another Hostel\motel war? NPN, no poll needed

A-Train
04-12-2005, 15:26
I agree with Nean. Though admittedly I've never been to Franklin or stayed at any of these motels or met the proprietors, sometimes when someone becomes so well known on the trail for bending over backwards for hikers, other services get overshadowed. I'm not saying its possible other motel owners and locals weren't "screwing" hikers over, or trying to make a few bucks. Just that sometimes when one proprietor is so generous with his/her time and money, it can make others automatically look like bad guys, and this is unfortunate. Remember that when going to Franklin or any other town. Find out for yourself how other businesses treat hikers. And just because someone is trying to make an honest living helping hikers, doesn't make them a bad person. Asking for a few bucks for gas is not unreasonable as long as this is stated and having a rate more than other places is not bad, as long as it's posted.
For an example, I believe this happened to Laurel Creek Hostel at Dennis Cove. I stayed there, found it to be nice, cheap, and the owners were great. The bunkroom/hostel was as well equipped and layed out as any i've seen. But this place suffers greatly due to the over-extended kindness and ability for Bob and Pat to do so at Kincorra. Not saying they are bad people for this, absolutely the opposite. But just because they have the ability and financial security to only charge donations and give a lot of "free servies" doesn't make the other places bad or inferior. That's all.

Brushy Sage
04-12-2005, 20:24
Something about Franklin that I haven't seen mentioned: Franklin was built on the site of an ancient Cherokee settlement named Nikwasi. There is a large earthen mound in a fenced enclosure on East Main Street; this was the location of the lodge where various ceremonies were conducted. I got a ride into Franklin with a man whose ancestry was Cherokee, so I asked him to swing by the mound. It was most impressive, and it gave me a brief sense of the historic importance of the town. I stayed at the MicroHotel and felt that I was welcomed there.

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 20:51
A-Train:

I REALLY don't want to get into this, but you're leaving a lot out from your comments. Kincora suceeds primarily because of the extraordinary efforts of Bob and Pat, and you're right, it's different when you're talking about a non-commercial hostel, but you're simplifying things in re. to Dennis Cove, and you're leaving a great deal out: Previous owners and administrators of the other establishment did indeed turn off many hikers by overly pursuing hiker dollars; they turned off even more folks by repeatedly speaking poorly of Bob Peoples and Kincora, and a finer hiker facility simply does not exist.

A-Train, for you to say that this place suffers because of "over-extended kindness" on the part of Kincora is just nuts. It really sounds like you're upset that Kincora is such a great place. I'm sorry if another facility loses business, and of course, you're corect in that hikers will always gravitate towards the least expensive places, but if you'd been around longer, you'd know why the other place has "sufferred" over the years: Allowing the K.K.K. to hold rallies on your property and slamming one of the most beloved people on the Trail is NOT the way to endear people to your place, and this is only part of what was going on several years ago. A lot of folks knew about this, wrote about this in journals and elsewhere, and as a consequence, a lot of folks knew where they were going to stay in Dennis Cove long before they got there, and it did NOT necessarily have to do with Kincora's low cost. I realize that (for the most part) this involves owners and managers who were there long ago, but for you to flat out say that that the only reason Kincora prospers is because it has nice owners and is cheap is simply untrue. Kincora prospers because it's one of the most extraordinary places on the Trail, and it's run by extraordinary people. To imply that it's such a success primarily because of it's rates performs a great dis-service to folks who deserve a lot better.

Oh, and while I respect your opinion, for you to say that another place isn't inferior simply because it can't afford to only take donations misses the point entirely: The other place is indeed inferior to Kincora----as are 99% of the other facilities on the Trail, by the way---the other place is inferior in all sorts of ways, and it has very little to do with how much is charged at the front door.

tiamalle
04-12-2005, 21:36
Friends,
Franklin,NC is a friendly little trail town where most everyone is friendly
and with the religious upbringing taught by their parents.They will most all try to help each other and strangers as well.As a teenager my family was poor and the
Blue Ridge and Smoky mountians were our free playground.I remember driving to
Burningtown & Tellico Gaps in an old raggy jeep.We would build a fire and cook food for the hikers.Lots of times we would meet great hikers and go hiking with them for days.This is why hikers are so special to me and I always try to help them,encourage them and give good advice.
My Lord has blessed me more than I deserve but I am far from being rich.
I'm just in debt like a lot of other people.Us motel owners work hard in Franklin to help each other.When we are filled we call the other motels and ask if they have rooms and we pass this information to help.The other motel owners are our
friends not our competetors.2 good friends of ours are owners of microtel.I don't
personally know the new owner of Franklin Motel but they seem like great people.The prior owner Bobby Patel and I are good friends.He helped me when
he was filled and I helped him when I was full.Also the prior owner of Sapphire Inn was our friend and we helped each other also.I know some retired people
are around trail crossings hoping to make a dollar by transporting people.As
far as rates they charge I don't know and motel rates,I think we are all very competable with each other and all seem to give hikers are break.
I have a little shuttle bus and when I unload at the trail heads I always take a moment to thank each hiker for their patronage to Franklin and our
community.I transport hiker to/from the trail even if the don't stay in my
motels.They are all just as special to me and our economy.By what I do for the hikers,I give back to my community and friends,Also I give something back to hikers my friendship and trust.When I started the The Trail Angel Free Hiker
Shuttle It was an inspiration to help everyone I could to make this a good thing for everyone.In 1999 my Mothers life was cut short to cancer.For weeks
newspaper articles kept listing all the great things she did for the elderly,kids,
less fortunate,churches and charity groups.If she were still alive she would be
so proud to have helped.I've traveled all over North America and met lots of
great people.But Here in Franklin we have so many Me and my wife decide to
settle here to live our lives.Please all of you,visit us in Franklin when you can
and look for the love and kindness you find here.Where ever you choose to stay or will be welcomed if you just pass through.Ron Haven/Haven Budget Inn &Sapphire Inn
:welcome

RockyTrail
04-12-2005, 21:40
Something about Franklin that I haven't seen mentioned: Franklin was built on the site of an ancient Cherokee settlement named Nikwasi. There is a large earthen mound in a fenced enclosure on East Main Street; this was the location of the lodge where various ceremonies were conducted. I got a ride into Franklin with a man whose ancestry was Cherokee, so I asked him to swing by the mound. It was most impressive, and it gave me a brief sense of the historic importance of the town. I stayed at the MicroHotel and felt that I was welcomed there.Brushy Sage, thanks for posting that very interesting piece of info. I grew up in NC and when I was in Boy Scouts we often visited a (now-extinct) scout camp near Browns Summitt that had an unusual name - Nikwasi. Now I know "the rest of the story":) thanks

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 21:49
I think I've said this several times already, but it needs to be said again:

I've met dozens of the 2005 thru-hikers, and I've talked with many of them, in Hot Springs and also here in Erwin about their experiences in the Trail towns south of here.

I have heard nothing but good things---more than I can count---about Ron Haven, and I say this with no dis-respect at all to other service providers in Franklin, many of whom have been taking care of hikers for years.

What I've heard repeatedly is that his kindness (particularly in providing rides to hikers around town and to and from the distant Trailhead) extends to folks who don't spend one minute or one dime in any of his facilities. Mr. Haven evidently doesn't care, and I think this is a pretty amazing thing.

I also have the benefit of having met and spoken with Mr. Haven when Miss Janet and I vistited Franklin several weeks ago after shuttling a hiker. Ron is friendly, genuine, unassuming, down-to-earth, and looks you in the eye. He's also a pretty funny guy and is a great story-teller. I think the Class of 2005 is very fortunate that there are friendly folks like this in Franklin, and I wish Ron many fruitful seasons, both with hikers, and anyone else lucky enough to encounter him.

owl
04-12-2005, 22:27
I never had that much troble in franklin...

as for price, motels will usally bargin...

maybe you need more deorderant or a breath mint.

A-Train
04-12-2005, 22:38
Jack-

I only have first hand knowledge from what I saw in 03'. I stayed at Laurel Creek because Kincorra was too crowded (even though Bob offered to make room) and a friend of mine's folks were entertaining hikers over there, where things were severly less chaotic. I had no previous knowledge about the hostel's allowing KKK meetings or anything else, and never heard anything bad about the place. In fact I never heard much at all, good or bad, since so many folks are drawn to Kincorra.

Anyway, as much as you don't wanna get into it, neither do. I think we can both agree Kincorra is one of the best on the trail, if not the best. Partially yes, because of the price, but also for all that Bob does for other hikers, both with providing friendly services, but also in what he does in the form of trail maintenance.

I was saying that Bob has the unique opportunity to give the majority of his time to the trail (the hostel and maintenance) and to allow hikers to stay there, whether they have the funds for it or not. I'm not saying it's about the money, because that would discredit what he does for others, which is worth much more than a nights stay.
My initial point was that many other places are overlooked because they play second fiddle in towns. Is there a reason why they are second? Of course because they are inferior in some way, as are most other hostels to Kincorra. This doesn't make anything wrong with them though, which was my point, regarding lodging in Franklin. Just because a motel charges more than someone who happens to lower his rates and is very friendly to hikers, doesn't mean they are bad people (as was somewhat stated on this thread earlier on).

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 22:46
A-Train:

Good post, and I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. "Commercial" hostels are always going to come in second to non-commercial ones......hikers are always looking to save a buck, and you're right, in some cases, this isn't always fair, but that's the way it is. The great thing is that different folks have different budgets and different needs.....some want a simple spartan hostel, some want hot tubs and private cabins. Some are happy with a simple $29.00 motel room; some insist on a 99 dollar a night fancy place. In the best of all possible worlds, hikers would have all sorts of options everywhere they go, and could decide for themselves where they wished to stay, based on what they were looking for, what they wanted to spend, and what they'd heard about the place in question. As for the "OTHER" place in Dennis Cove, I wish them well, and I'm happy they are there.....there simply is not enough room for all the folks who want to stay at Kincora! (I should further add that Suton Brown's place, ther Breaemar Castle, in the center of Hampton, is also a wonderful place to stay. Like I said, the more options, the better off for everyone).

Lone Wolf
04-12-2005, 22:54
Too bad the Braemer Castle in Hampton is overlooked. For a few bucks more you have LOTS of space and easy access to hiker needs. No shuttles needed. It's been a constant long before Kincora or Dennis Cove. And Solace, quit your ******* brown nosing. Motels are a dime a dozen.

owl
04-12-2005, 22:56
How did a thread about franklin get talking about hampton is there no protocol to stay relevent to the thread?

Lone Wolf
04-12-2005, 22:59
Deal with it owl.

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 23:01
Owl, lighten up. The thread deals with hiker services, and is located on a part of Whiteblaze devoted to the subject. Like many threads, it might wander a bit, but remember what the subject is here; it's Trail Towns and Services, and it's perfectly OK to bring up other places as well as Franklin.

owl
04-12-2005, 23:04
OKEY DOKEY this thread business confuses me..

MedicineMan
04-12-2005, 23:26
Years ago Sutton and Chip (a dentist in Hampton) saved my stupid arse when i was learning to windsurf and was over my head on Watauga lake...they went way out of their way to help me.

Too bad the Braemer Castle in Hampton is overlooked. For a few bucks more you have LOTS of space and easy access to hiker needs. No shuttles needed. It's been a constant long before Kincora or Dennis Cove. And Solace, quit your ******* brown nosing. Motels are a dime a dozen.

solace
04-12-2005, 23:40
I just called the Microtel. Their single rate is $34.95 during the week.You shouldn't post false s**t, solace. And where is the Franklin Inn?

... Hmmm, that's funny Little Wolf, I've been IN FRANKLIN for the past 2 weeks, and not only drove by the microtel TODAY... (SIGN OUT FRONT $49.99 SINGLE! $59.99 DOUBLE!) Also... I am helping to drive back 43 hikers in the morning to the trail, 6 of which called from the Microtel... who told them to "call someone else" for a ride back to the AT.. I chatted with 2 thru hikers TONIGHT, who got their hiker rate.. $47.00 plus tax.

Look... these Motels here honestly have people who get $10-$15 per hiker they bring back to a couple hotels.. and, come morning... our fellow hikers are left for dead! IT'S NOT HOW YOU TREAT ANYONE!!!

And.. yet here you are ... not knowing the FACTS on Franklin.. sticking up for people like this! Hey Little Wolf... why don't you come down.. and see how much $$$ you can make! These Grannies would love you!

Franklin is one of THE greatest AT towns.. hands down... and yes.. there are good people... everywhere you go.. My post was to warn fellow hikers, esp for '06 about this... so they won't have the same problem...

Oh.. and Little Wolf.... lots of folks here hope your RASH clears up....
(you caN GET THAT CREAM YOU NEED WITH $ YOU'LL SAVE BY CHECKING OUT THE HOTEL PRICES FOR SURE.. IN PERSON.. WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE ANYWAYS!)

Cheers.. Solace

solace
04-12-2005, 23:48
Solace, no matter where you hike on that trail and thru the many towns that you will enter you are going to meet people that you think ought to give the thru hikers a break. What about you? Why don't you give them a break? Listen, for some here will tell you, I was a hiker that was critical in areas that I had no business being critical in. Go with who you go with, hang out with who you hang with and hike with who you hike with. What is the true meaning of "solace" is to be comfortable in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble. Another discription of the that trail name is to give comfort, to console or to cheer another or yourslef no matter the circumstances. In other words, look past the negatives and look at the positives. Those people that you think ought to give you and all your fellow hikers a break like the man at Haven's may not be financially able to do so. I don't know the reason, it doesn't matter. The fact is, if your going to have a trail name like "solace", then back it up pal......

Dear "wanderer" . . . . thank you SO MUCH for helping me to understand my trail name.. I can now die in peace!

Look... I got on to post for the benifit of ALL HIKERS.. esp the class of '06!
Here I am trying to HELP.. and you want to rip my AT name???

Am I ticked off.. heck yea I am... so I'm going to vent @ these places... because I'm human and I have an opinion.... the way these 2 places treat hikers is just plain WRONG! ANd having stayed in Franklin this year to help out thru-hikers... my eyes were opened to this SCAM! It's total crap.. you can sit at home and reply.. blah-blah-blah.. or.. you can put down the beer, get in the dang car, and come volunteer a bit with me to get the real story...

But, go ahead.. reply.. and get back to being the ONLY WANDERER...

let's hope indeed.. you ARE the "only" one....

Happy Late Easter...... Cheers... Solace

PS.. April Fools is over.... get a real trail name :datz

solace
04-12-2005, 23:52
OKEY DOKEY this thread business confuses me..

Hmmm... deoderant is far to much weight to pack.. but, some mints would be dandy! THANKS SO MUCH....

HOOT! HOOT! ~ Solace :dance

solace
04-13-2005, 00:15
:clap that solace is ONE sexy hiker! :clap

:-? Hey.. "little wolf" :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse

And OWL... dude.. get me those mints god love you lad! :jump

Good reply Tarlin... as always....

and please.. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.. SOMEONE WAKE ME UP SO I CAN GET BACK ON ALL THIS!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL!! GOODNIGHT CRUEL WORLD!!! :datz

ps.. little wolf.... dude.. we are ALL hoping that rash goes away.. quick! :eek:

(really... you have to set your sights higher than farm animals!) :o

ps.. I heard that wolves love owl's!!! ANY TRUTH TO THIS!!! :-?

Cheers.. Solace

Lone Wolf
04-13-2005, 05:36
What apathetic little moron you are solace. The Haven must be proud to have you as a spokesman. It's JUST a motel. Dime a dozen. Is that s**t I see on your nose? :D

One Leg
04-13-2005, 06:10
or.. you can put down the beer, get in the dang car, and come volunteer a bit with me to get the real story...

Seems that others here aren't the only ones enjoying some suds. Please sober up before you attempt to drive the shuttle van.

Jaybird
04-13-2005, 07:28

I totally agree L.W.!

SUtton Brown & his family were "SUPER NICE" folks to me & my bud: "TeePee"
in 2003 when we got in a FALL SECTION-HIKE that started in Hampton.

The Braemer "Castle" is often overlooked....& they provide shuttles for a nominal price, too.

As for FRANKLIN, NC....my bud, "Jigsaw" & i stayed @ the FRANKLIN MOTEL..& had no problems...i think our bill was less than $50 for both of us....& we had pizza delivered to our door! woooooooooo-hooooooooo! :D

Lilred
04-13-2005, 08:13
Solace,
It's not always what a person says but how they say it that conveys to others their character. You're attacks aren't cool. Calm down and choose your words more wisely. Bad service is everywhere and being a thru-hiker does not entitle one to good service. If a hiker goes to a certain hotel and pays more but gets less than another hiker staying somewhere else, oh well. That's called free enterprise. It's great that you're giving your time to help out hikers, but I'm afraid they may be having to listen to you ranting about other business' in town, and negativity like that is not good for the trail community.

Skyline
04-13-2005, 09:53
I could be mistaken but my (unperfect) memory is that it was the Castle in Hampton, not Laurel Creek Lodge in Dennis Cove, that hosted KKK people once in the mid to late '90s. I also recall reading that the proprietor (of the Castle) later said he did so unknowingly. Does anyone else remember it this way?

Jack Tarlin
04-13-2005, 11:40
You are absolutely mistaken. Sutton Brown and Braemar had NOTHING to do with this incident.

And as to the campground folks hosting this gathering unknowingly, as they claimed at the time, you'd think the white robes and flaming cross might've given them a bit of a clue as to what was going on.

The Solemates
04-13-2005, 11:57
Dont want to get into this argument, but for what its worth..

we stayed at the franklin motel on our thru. we got a room with a king bed and a double bed for $30 (it was around $36 with tax) (two hikers, my wife and I). they treated us right, took us back to the trail for free (although we did give them $5 for it), and we were all-around pleased with our stay.

im sure the haven in nice too, but theres nothing wrong with the franklin motel. quit the name bashing.

Skyline
04-13-2005, 13:46
You are absolutely mistaken. Sutton Brown and Braemar had NOTHING to do with this incident.

And as to the campground folks hosting this gathering unknowingly, as they claimed at the time, you'd think the white robes and flaming cross might've given them a bit of a clue as to what was going on.

My bad then. The source, as I'm remembering it, was probably the AT-L email list when I participated back then (late '90s). Could have just been an errant report. Or I could be remembering wrong.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2005, 20:50
Our boy solace PMed me with sexual comments about my "wife". He's ***ed.

One Leg
04-13-2005, 23:02

Wolfie:

Consider the source, man. He ain't worth it.

LEGS
04-13-2005, 23:19
DAMN BOY,WHATS UP WITH THAT, YA DONE AND GOT HITCHED TO DA GYPSY AND DIDN'T INVITE US, WHAT DA HELL YA DOIN MAN!!!!!!! HERE WE WAWS A THINKIN WE WAQS GONNA HAVE A PARTY SOMETIME IF IT EVER WAS TO BE ! DAMN, I'SA HEART BROKEN, BUT WISHES YA DA BEST MAN, AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF DA GYPSY, SHES A GOOD'UN!!!!

ATSeamstress
04-13-2005, 23:31
I am a section hiker who plans to thru-hike in 2009. I always thought I wouldn't want to stop in a town where I needed to hitch, but last year I was piecing together some miles and did pass through Franklin to do laundry, eat lunch, a buy a few groceries. I found Franklin to be very clean and pretty, and the people were friendly. I didn't stay but I hope to stop in during 2009. It sounds like I will find a warm welcome!

Kathy
aka Ragamuffin
:sun

tiamalle
04-14-2005, 16:40
I am a section hiker who plans to thru-hike in 2009. I always thought I wouldn't want to stop in a town where I needed to hitch, but last year I was piecing together some miles and did pass through Franklin to do laundry, eat lunch, a buy a few groceries. I found Franklin to be very clean and pretty, and the people were friendly. I didn't stay but I hope to stop in during 2009. It sounds like I will find a warm welcome!

Kathy
aka Ragamuffin Ragmuffin come when you can and I'll help you any way I can
:sun Ron 828-524-4403:welcome

Lucy Lulu
04-15-2005, 15:29
I stayed at the Franklin Hotel a week ago. The rate for a double room was $35. The owners were very nice. They kept a list of free shuttle offers from trail club members, and numbers you could call at the front desk.

Also met Ron from the Haven...super nice guy. Checked out both establishments, and they seemed fairly comparable. There was more hiker traffic at the Haven. The Franklin Hotel seemed a little quieter.

I will admit, one advantage to the Haven was Ron running free shuttles around town. The Franklin Hotel did not do this, and things were a little spread out in town if you wanted to go to the PO and the outfitters from the hotel.

Mayfly

tiamalle
04-16-2005, 01:33
:p
I stayed at the Franklin Hotel a week ago. The rate for a double room was $35. The owners were very nice. They kept a list of free shuttle offers from trail club members, and numbers you could call at the front desk.

Also met Ron from the Haven...super nice guy. Checked out both establishments, and they seemed fairly comparable. There was more hiker traffic at the Haven. The Franklin Hotel seemed a little quieter.

I will admit, one advantage to the Haven was Ron running free shuttles around town. The Franklin Hotel did not do this, and things were a little spread out in town if you wanted to go to the PO and the outfitters from the hotel.

Mayfly Mayfly thanks for the good compliment about me and our town
If you come back you're welcome on our town shuttle even if you stay other places.I don't know how I got tangled up in this discussion because all I ever done was try to help the hikers while they are visiting our town.What other motels and other businesses do I don't get involved.As I stated before"I think all of our motel prices are fairly closely priced here in Franklin",but I haven't ask.One thing I do is this.My hiker rate is $35 year around for 2 guest and $5
for each additional.In October At Sapphire Inn the rate is $89.99 and at the
other motel Haven's Budget Inn is $79.99,and we get lots of south bound hikers during that time of year.The hiker rate is $35 for 2 guest and $5 for ea
additional even then.Take care I'm coming to trail days.This year I'm going to hike from Damascus on up to Harpers Ferry.
:p

Rebel, with a Cause!
04-18-2005, 08:08
I stayed at the Haven on Easter Sunday when i drove down to meet my Son, Captain Chaos on his Thru Hike. Rons Place is clean, cheap and very hiker friendly. Best of all was the fact that all of the thruhikers were outside, sitting in chairs outside their rooms and it was very easy to see everyone and say hi.

There is a great all you can eat buffet just around the corner and the PO is very close by also. The free shuttle is great and Ron makes runs to the outfitter and other places in town as well. Ron also has internet service and if i remember, it was a LONG walk to get to the library from the MicroTel in 2002, which i did not enjoy at all.

In my hike in 2002, I stayed at the MicroTel and it was more expensive then and not nearly as hiker friendly.

Prior to this year, I was not aware of the Haven, but for now it gets my vote for sure.

Last, lets all be nice and agree to disagree, OK?

Ron, thanks for a good stay at the Haven. I enjoyed it for sure :)

tiamalle
04-18-2005, 19:25
I stayed at the Haven on Easter Sunday when i drove down to meet my Son, Captain Chaos on his Thru Hike. Rons Place is clean, cheap and very hiker friendly. Best of all was the fact that all of the thruhikers were outside, sitting in chairs outside their rooms and it was very easy to see everyone and say hi.

There is a great all you can eat buffet just around the corner and the PO is very close by also. The free shuttle is great and Ron makes runs to the outfitter and other places in town as well. Ron also has internet service and if i remember, it was a LONG walk to get to the library from the MicroTel in 2002, which i did not enjoy at all.

In my hike in 2002, I stayed at the MicroTel and it was more expensive then and not nearly as hiker friendly.

Prior to this year, I was not aware of the Haven, but for now it gets my vote for sure.

Last, lets all be nice and agree to disagree, OK?

Ron, thanks for a good stay at the Haven. I enjoyed it for sure :)
Thanks Rebel,May God Bless/Rascal,Ron Haven:)

Kozmic Zian
04-18-2005, 23:17
Yea....Damn, dosen't our 'wonderboy' k-now who's he ***ng wid?:datz KZ@