PDA

View Full Version : What kind of alcohol stove do you have?

Pappa Green Jeans
04-12-2005, 20:32
:confused: I am pretty sure I will be going with an alcohol stove for my SOBO this year. What kind have you hikers used/do you use? What kind of fuel do you use, and how much did you carry? I appreciate you feed back. God Bless.

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 20:38
I've tried a plethora of them. ou can get multiple flavors of stoves depending on what you want in fuel efficiency and boil time. What are you looking for.

Do you plan to build your own?

Lilred
04-12-2005, 20:55
I've used a pepsi can stove I made ever since I started backpacking. It's virtually weight free. I carry a spare stove just in case mine gets flattened. Or someone needs it. Gave one spare away to a thru that had accidently left his jetboil at home.

rpettit
04-12-2005, 21:55
Soda can stove. Denatured alcohol. 1 fluid oz. per day. I only boil 12 to 14 oz. of water for dinner once a day. Stove, windscreen, pot stand=1.3 oz. Fuel bottle=1.2 oz. Total weight for 5 days 7-8 oz.

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 22:22
Since you asked, I carry my own Ion stove

Stove and screen - 0.9 ounces
Fuel bottle is a 16 ounce collapsable that is a knock off of a little nipper - 0.7 ounces
Scripto Lighter - 0.6 ounces
Measuring cup from a cough syrup bottle - doesn't show up on the scale.
Pot cozy is a machine washable fabric cozy - 0.9 ounces
Evernew 0.9L titanium pot - 4 ounces
I use 1.5 ounces of fuel a day. that is enough for boiling 16 ounces of water for dinner, 16 ounces for breakfast, and 16 ounces for extra tea, coffee or whatever whenever I want to a day - 1.3 ounces weight per day.

So for a 7 day section I carry 16.2 ounces to start with. My stove is slow though.

Working on a different stove that would have a higher stove weight, but would also use wood, so I can carry less alcohol and use the alcohol only as a back up when I can't get wood or fires aren't permitted.

PKH
04-13-2005, 04:42
Brasslite Turbo I and IId.

Cheers,

PKH

MedicineMan
04-13-2005, 04:53
brasslite turbo 2 d and 2 f

works of art

JoeHiker
04-13-2005, 10:42
Brasslite Turbo II-D. Love it.

http://www.brasslite.com

Mags
04-13-2005, 10:46
What I call my hack job stove (essentially the Pepsi can stove). THe difference? I made it, so it is hack job. :)

But it works quite well. Just under 4000 long trail miles on this guy (LT,CT, PCT). Debating if I should make another one if I should do the CDT? Have sentimental attachment to it! :D

Footslogger
04-13-2005, 10:54
You name it ...I've got it. The stove I use the most though is the Trangia. Heavier than the rest but it's like a BIC ...works first time, every time !!

'Slogger

Oracle
04-13-2005, 20:17
I use the Vargo Triad. Has an integral pot stand, so you don't have to bring one along (or the weight it usually entails). It's fairly bombproof, I haven't had one problem with it so far. Also, it is made of titanium, so it cools down pretty quickly after it's extinguished.

foodbag
04-13-2005, 21:52
Tin Man's aluminum can stove (antigravitygear.com). I'm not real handy about making things so it was worth the 12 bucks to buy one plus it comes with a nifty windscreen.

generoll
04-21-2005, 21:36
i hope this is the right place for this. i got what turns out to be a Swedish Army surplus mess kit complete with windscreen and Trangia stove off Ebay recently. the whole rig weighs a bit more then i had hoped but i do like the stove and see possibilities. the Trangia site shows simmer rings for some of these stoves. do any of you have and information on how these work and how well they work? i'm experimenting with different arrangements for cooking and while i still have a warm spot for my Svea 123 i like the concept of alcohol over gas. safer and easier to light even if the BTUs are less.

Alligator
04-21-2005, 21:51
i hope this is the right place for this. i got what turns out to be a Swedish Army surplus mess kit complete with windscreen and Trangia stove off Ebay recently. the whole rig weighs a bit more then i had hoped but i do like the stove and see possibilities. the Trangia site shows simmer rings for some of these stoves. do any of you have and information on how these work and how well they work? i'm experimenting with different arrangements for cooking and while i still have a warm spot for my Svea 123 i like the concept of alcohol over gas. safer and easier to light even if the BTUs are less.
The simmer ring on the Trangia is a circular piece of metal that attaches to a metal ring. The attachment point is right near the edge of the circle. If you have a canning jar, it is just like the two part lid. The circle swings out, opening more and more space in the ring (think lunar eclipse). I can cook pancakes on my Trangia with the simmer ring. Fine adjustment of the simmer ring is trying, as you have to pull the ring out of the fire. For this reason, I consider there are only two settings on the stove, simmer and full. The Trangia is a decent stove for the beginner alcohol stove user. The nice part about it is that you can leave unburned fuel in it.

Did your stove not have the simmer ring? I have the Trangia 28, but am aware that there are a number of pot variations to the Trangia line. The pot kit that comes with the 28 is a very lightweight option, I especially like the nonstick fry pan.

Dances with Mice
04-21-2005, 21:56

Yeah, I bought one of those a couple years ago. The alcohol burner's fine but there are some differences between it and a Trangia. My burner was made by Svea, btw, and I thought that was cool.

If you just use the burner from the kit you'll need a pot stand and wind screen. There's lots of ways to do that. Look in my gallery for photos of how to construct one.

The Trangia simmer ring simply blocks off the burner holes so only the pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove can burn. The Trangia simmer ring is adjustable but in use you just set the opening based on experience, put it in place, and don't fool with it again.

So to emulate it, go to a grocery store and look in the section with heavy duty foil cookware - like foil meatloaf pans, bread pans, casserole dishes, etc, and buy a couple of foil muffin tins. Cut a hole a tad smaller than the holes in the burner ring. Light the stove, let it get hot, then drop the muffin tin on top. It should block off the holes and flames should only come out the hole in the middle. If it simmers too slow then enlarge the hole. If too hot, start over and make a smaller hole. If you don't get it right on the first try, you'll probably hit it on the second. There's a rather large window of acceptable sizes. If the tin is too high, trim the bottom rim. It ain't rocket science.

Carry an uncut tin for a snuff plate to put the stove out. Another good snuff lid is....well, a snuff lid. From a can of Copenhagen brand smokeless tobacco, they use metal lids.

generoll
04-21-2005, 22:02
no, this stove has no simmer ring, only the screw on lid. the 'threads' are actually for fairly coarse protrusions on the side of the burner ring which mate to matching rings in the lid. i was just wondering if simply covering part of the burner was what the ring did. if that is the case then presumably all i would need to do is to make a partial burner cover out if foil if that will hold up and simmer that way. my wifes beginning to act concerned over my kitchen experiments with this burner and messkit.

i have the 'tinman' stove and found it very useful if all you want is a cup or two of hot water, but some of the foods that i like to take along require a bit more then just pouring hot water into a bag and eating. a simmer setting would extend the usefulness of these stoves. now if i could just get them to purr like the 123

Stoker53
04-22-2005, 07:15
Stove I use was purchased on eBay. One day I'll get around to making my own but for now I'm very pleased with this stove. Billinmt also ships them free.

Stove is a little larger in dia in most and is very stable. The fuel gauge sys is nice too and it is accurate.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=87136&item=5185314648&rd=1