PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Blue Ridge Outdoors "Best Of" Edition

One Leg
04-13-2005, 05:54
Yesterday, April 12, 2005, my wife went to Tazewell to check our post office box. We haven't checked that post office box since late December/early January. It isn't our primary mailing address, therefore, we honestly hadn't given any thought about checking it.

When she returned home, she gave me a huge envelope from Blue Ridge Outdoors. Enclosed was a B.R.O. magazine titled "Best Of The Outdoors: 2004 Readers' Choice Awards." It was sent sometime back in January. Earmarked was page 10, where they featured me as their '2004 Hiker of the Year'. Also enclosed was a certificate of congratulations for being the 2004 Southeastern Hiker of the Year.

As humbling as it was to learn if this, I am returning the award, as it isn't rightfully mine to keep. Personal honesty and integrity will not allow me to keep it, and I am ashamed for even considering keeping it. It was given under the assumption that I'd completed the trail in November, as was the original plan. However, my brother's suicide changed all of that. I guess news of that didn't reach the editors of B.R.O. in time to make the necessary change, and I hope that it isn't too late now to rectify this situation.

Honorable mention went to "Easy One" for being the oldest hiker, at age 81, to complete the trail. It is my hope that they will take the award from me and rightfully give it to Easy One.

Thank you,

Scott 'One-Leg' Rogers

MOWGLI
04-13-2005, 06:43
As humbling as it was to learn if this, I am returning the award, as it isn't rightfully mine to keep. Personal honesty and integrity will not allow me to keep it, and I am ashamed for even considering keeping it. It was given under the assumption that I'd completed the trail in November, as was the original plan. However, my brother's suicide changed all of that. I guess news of that didn't reach the editors of B.R.O. in time to make the necessary change, and I hope that it isn't too late now to rectify this situation.

Thank you,

Scott 'One-Leg' Rogers

Hey Scott, for what it's worth, I think you should definitely keep the award. This was a "Readers Choice" award -not an Editor's choice. Anyway, Will Harlan, one of the BRO Editors wouldn't think of not giving you the award because of the manner in which your hike ended so tragically & suddenly.

It's not like folks would change their vote if they knew you "only" walked 2100 miles. What you accomplished was truly amazing. Most folks with two legs and a far simpler family situation couldn't have accomplished 10% of what you did.

I know - for a fact - that outside the small group of hikers who insist that you pass every white blaze in order to be a "real" thru-hiker - the "readers" of BRO could care less that you missed some miles. Obviously this weighs on you a bit heavy though.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I look forward to seeing you at Trail Days, and shaking your hand.

Jeffrey Hunter aka Little Bear

One Leg
04-13-2005, 07:03
Jeff:

You're correct, this is something that is weighing very heavily on me at the moment.

To give me the award based on an assumption that I completed the trail, and didn't, is wrong, able bodied or not. Especially when you factor in the equation that an 81 year-old gentleman hiked the whole thing. I shouldn't be awarded anything based on something I didn't do, when someone who did was only given an 'honorable mention'.

Likewise, I am very much looking forward to meeting you.

Scott

shades of blue
04-13-2005, 07:26
One leg...
Perhaps you could contact BRO and explain the situation to them. Then, they can decide why the award was given, and if it still applies. In the end, you know what you accomplished, and wasn't able to accomplish. I believe the joy comes from the journey, although we are motivated by the destination. I think by being truthful with these people, it will put your worries at rest, and just remember. Regardless of awards by other people, you hiked an incredible journey, one many people will never attempt. Also, the trail is still there, one day you may go back and complete whatever few miles you didn't complete last year. (This is a section hikers attitude...)
Peace
Shades

Mountain Hippie
04-13-2005, 08:05
Scott, I also think that you are deserving of the award but I also realize that you will have to settle the issue in your own heart. If you do not feel that you deserve it, although I feel you do, then maybe you should do as shades suggested and contact BRO.
I think that the phrase that you use in your signature is more true now, than ever. I have been fortunate that I have not had to endure the pains and struggles on the trail and off the trail that you have. I hope that you and others will realize that the trail you had to hike went beyond your time on the A.T. and continues to this day, when you show your concern for receiving a award that you believe you don't deserve. with or without the award you have already shown that you possess the qualities of not merely a "hiker of the year" but of a good person that in today's society should be "person of the year".
I will say one more time that I think you are deserving of the award, yet I will support whatever decision you make.

One Leg
04-13-2005, 08:12
I sent an email to BRO, and am awaiting their reply. Additionally, I phoned "Easy One" this morning and discussed the issue with him. His mindset is right along with you all's.

But..........

I'm raising children, and am trying to teach them to do what's right rather than what's popular.

Will let you know what I hear back from BRO......If I don't hear from them pretty soon, I'll just call, as this has me all in a "tizzy".

Scott

Youngblood
04-13-2005, 09:56
Scott,

It is a "Certificate of Congratulations" not a "Certification of Completion". You made an honest and reasonable effort to accomplish what you set out to do. Keep the award, you earned your's... so did Easy One. If there is any misjustice, it is that they didn't give the same recognition to both of you, because as you realize you both deserve it but that isn't anything you have control over.

Youngblood

The Cheat
04-13-2005, 10:19
Was it 'Hiker of the Year' or 'Completed Thru-Hiker of the Year'? :)

Skyline
04-13-2005, 10:21
One Leg, it sounds like you might be thinking of the "rules" surrounding ATC's "Certificate of Completion" which is accompanied by a rocker bar and publication of your accomplishment in ATN--and applying the same thought process toward a privately-owned magazine's reader-voted award for doing something amazing and noteworthy.

If it was ATC's certificate that had arrived in your mailbox and had you in a quandry, the obvious solution--after the fact--is to simply go back and complete the miles left undone. Then it would be legit. But I have to believe that very few if any of BRO's readers would have withheld their vote for you just because you had some miles to finish.

So my $.02: Keep the BRO award, and if it's important to ya, fill in the gaps and apply for ATC's certificate after you do. You've earned the first, and you're very close to qualifying for the second.

One Leg
04-13-2005, 23:06
Posting as a follow-up to my original.

Scott,

Your decision to return home from the trail to help your family deal with
the loss of your brother makes you even more deserving of the award. That
was a heroic, selfless, and courageous decision. Thanks for your thoughtful
email , but please keep the award, as it is definitely well-earned.

Will

My thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. I never expected the outpouring of friendship & support here. My heart is truly warmed as a result.
Hope to see you at Trail Days.

Scott

Tha Wookie
04-13-2005, 23:33
Will is right. The people have spoken. But you did the right thing. Much respect.