PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Sleeping Bag?

WineyJack
06-02-2012, 16:58
Hi all, I'm planning a week section hike in Georgia with my daughter in June. I'm feeling conflicted on the sleeping bags at the moment. They seem to take up so much of the packs (getting down is not an option as $$ is tight) What kind of temps will I have at night in Georgia in June? Will the lighter fleece bags be more than enough or should I just suck it up bulk wise and take the bags?

TIA!

Winey Jack

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2012, 17:09
I did all of Georgia with just a good wool blanket, over a summer of section hikes, and I was fine. Temps generally don't drop very low....even in the mountains, it's still Georgia in the summer! You'll be fine with the fleece, just sleep in your clothes if it gets too cool.

Rain Man
06-02-2012, 19:17
My experience was different that Hikes in Rain. I did Springer-to-Neel Gap from July 31-Aug 3, 2004 with a 45-degree down bag. Returned it to REI immediately after that hike as I was NOT nearly warm enough. Those mountaintop and mountain side nights in the clouds (or fog?) and rain with blowing wind are CHILLY!!!

The most miserable night I spent on the AT so far was on Standing Indian Mountain in a fleece blanket, with a strong wind blowing chilly wet clouds right through that blanket.

Depends on how warm a sleeper you are? How much of the wind you can block?

Rain:sunMan

WineyJack
06-02-2012, 19:32
I'm a very cold sleeper and my husband is not. I'm leaning towards sucking up the bulky bags, he's encouraging the fleece. Thanks for the info!

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2012, 20:22
Dang, Rain Man, that sounds like a miserable trip! Honestly, maybe I just was lucky, but I hiked Georgia in 98, back when we were having that severe drought. Even then, it rained most of my hike (which is where I earned my trail name), but it still never got below 65 or so by my guestimates. I've been using a Western Mountaineer 45 down bag ever since, and still haven't been cold. So far. :cool:

WhineyJack, I think you answered your own question. If you sleep cold (I don't) then yeah, it's worth taking the warm bags. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

WineyJack
06-02-2012, 21:15
Yes, Hikes, I believe I did! My husband is such a hot sleeper but he's not coming with us! I second guess myself but then I think of how sleep goes around here, him sprawled out, trying to cool off and me curled in a ball under the duvet. I just need to chat it out sometimes! On a good note though, we are packed and ready for our adventure!

Cadenza
06-02-2012, 21:21
My advice is NEVER, EVER go without a sleeping bag!
I let my buddy talk me out of it once. He said, "It's July. It's not going to be cold."
We nearly froze to death on Stratton Bald.

Lesson learned. I have never gone without a bag again,....and I've never been cold again.

mikec
06-02-2012, 21:28
I have a zero, a twenty and a forty degree sleeping bag. I always take one of the three when camping.

moytoy
06-03-2012, 07:45
My fleece bag ( I use in Fl most of the time) is just as heavy and bulky as my 20 degree down bag. I always take my down bag when I'm in the mountains. Fleece is for saving wear and tear on my down bag.

Hikes in Rain
06-03-2012, 08:35
My wool blanket was heavier and bulkier than my new down 45* bag, which squishes to smaller than my water bottle and only weighs a few ounces. It's warmer, too, and has the advantage of net letting me kick it off during the night, which was always a problem with just a blanket. All things considered, while I was generally warm and comfortable with the blanket, I can't really recommend it. I was just getting started back into hiking with old equipment, after a much too long hiatus, and heading out with what I had available at the time.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2012, 08:49
I can't recommend a fleece blanket under any condition except summer. I seen dads do it unwittingly several times with kids at the camp store, i hope they are sleeping inside... Remember hypothermia gets more people in spring and fall. And these are the first few days of summer.

Georgia mountain weather right now is in the 50's at night not including wind chill.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/30582?config=SZ=300x250*WX=FHW*LNK=SSNL*UNT=F*BGI= spring*MAP=null|null*DN=gamtnwx.com*TIER=0*PID=124 8554497*MD5=39506914c995fb6373f0c7bcfb86bb25&par=WOWs0_1248554497&site=300x250&cm_ven=WOWs0&cm_cat=300x250&code=link&promo=10day&cm_ite=link&cm_pla=10day

Velvet Gooch
06-03-2012, 09:38
WOO said it. Children lose heat faster than adults do. Take a real bag

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2012, 10:34
here is a possible solution - its heavy and steep and cheep

my thought on the fill - down is far more closely measured and poly fills are exaggerated! A poly fill 15 is a clear 30 degree bag at best. A young person has more room and that leads to a colder sleep. If it's warm they just sleep with it open or on top. Also kids beat up stuff. For yourself keep in mind a down bag is for life. You only buy them once, most with good storage last 25 years. but for your daughter take a look
here

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85292

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47327 (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85292)

daddytwosticks
06-03-2012, 14:55
If you check the long range forecast before you go and it looks warm, you will probably be OK if you bring a warm jacket and hat. However, cold fronts have been known to pass through this area even in June. A front went thru here (very close to the N. Ga border) on Friday evening. It was 49 degrees down here in the valley on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. :)

BigHodag
06-03-2012, 22:49
Ever considered using a U.S. military poncho liner? Weigh about 1 lb, stuff down small, and cost just $30 new at most surplus stores. I use mine down to the low-50s and carry a small, ultralight emergency bivy for unexpected Arctic fold fronts. Plan on using mine in two weeks for a NY section hike. Forecast is currently looking good for the poncho liner.

Theosus
06-03-2012, 23:03
I took my 20 degree bag for my first georgia overnight. It was supposed to be 55. It got down to 40, and there I was hanging in my hammock with no underpad or quilt. I stuffed my rain pants and jacket under me, and put on my long underwear, and STILL about froze to death.

Our group leader said you can tell the person who has had something bad happen to them. The guy whose filter broke and was thirsty will carry a filter, some aqua mira, and three liters of water. The person who went hungry will carry enough food to feed the whole camp. The person who slept or walked cold will be the guy with a pack full of spare clothes. On my next hike I won't be cold even if I have to bring a pulk to georgia in August.

Tinker
06-04-2012, 00:35
Don't waste your money on a fleece bag unless you want it for a liner (I find liners a limited use item, so I just carry extra fleece clothing which I can walk around in). Fleece is nice in that it doesn't lose loft when wet, but it doesn't lose loft when you try to stuff it, either :-?.

This: http://www.rei.com/product/731835/rei-travel-sack-55-sleeping-bag might be a better idea. I have one, and the temp. rating is accurate. Plan accordingly.

Oh, fleece is not the least bit windproof, which may be nice while hiking in variable temperatures (use a wind shell over it to dramatically improve its insulation qualities or, if you overheat, take the shell off briefly to cool down), but it's probably not the best for the typical drop in temperatures during the night. If it's comfortable when you go to sleep, it might be much too cool later on at night.

Wise Old Owl
06-04-2012, 22:53
good advice Tinker.

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 08:58
My experience is more like Rain Man's, in that we hiked the Georgia section of the AT in early June, 2003, and had frost the first couple of nights. I had a 45-F Kelty down bag and was very cold at night. I would not hike with only a fleece blanket even in the middle of summer.

You say a down bag isn't possible because of the cost, however, this Kelty bag gets very good reviews. Here's the men's version (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43185) and the women's. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43192)

Moose2001
06-05-2012, 09:33
The OP's statement that her daughter is hiking with them is what caught my attention. As WOO said, kids tend to get colder, easier. Don't spoil her hike by letting her get cold at night. If you do, you'll probably never get her to hike again! Plan for the worst, hope for the best.