PDA

View Full Version : Scott Williamson Yo-Yo: Backpacker Magazine

The Solemates
04-13-2005, 09:42
This past year I was following Scott's progress some on the PCT-L, so when the May issue of Backpacker came in and the main story was on his hike, I went right to reading it. The story was very well written, albeit a little different in style, but I did not realize the complexity and utter sadness of Scott's past. Whats more fascinating is that he did it NOBO in some 105 days, but cut his time in half SOBO down to 52 days. And he didnt see a sole for 1000 miles, literally. Absolutely unbelievable. I dont even know the guy, but I guess my congratulations and shear speechlessness is merited. If you havent read the article, its touching, if those are the right words.

Dainon
04-13-2005, 12:42
I also read the article and was very impressed by his accomplishments. He tried and failed many times because of inclement weather but never gave up. He seems to have met many interesting and admirable people on the trail, too -- including one kid who was able to churn out approx. 40 mile days, day after day, with little difficulty and a lady who tried to set the women's speed record but missed by a handful of days. I was also amazed that as a warm up to hiking the AT, he did the Florida trail in its entirity and then road walked the 400 miles to Springer. It's worth reading.

bulldog
04-20-2005, 14:37
That number is probably wrong. I met Scott in Washington when he was just starting the southward trek of his yo-yo. The man was in good shape, averaging 35-45 per day but I doubt he increased his pace to 50+ per day to complete the southward hike in 52 days.

The Solemates
04-20-2005, 15:46
That number is probably wrong. I met Scott in Washington when he was just starting the southward trek of his yo-yo. The man was in good shape, averaging 35-45 per day but I doubt he increased his pace to 50+ per day to complete the southward hike in 52 days.

i thought the same thing, but i swear thats what the article said. maybe im mistaken.

Nean
04-21-2005, 14:10
I heard about the article yesterday and rushed down to my local outfitter only to find out they don't carry BP. Scott is my friend and it would not surprise me if he did the trail in 52 days as he is as strong a hiker as there is IMO. White/blue blazing isn't the issue out west as it is in the east. I've had the pleasure of hiking several hundred miles with Scott and have no doubt he is a humble man, good friend and great hiker!

stickman
04-21-2005, 19:58
Does anyone know what Scott is doing now? I was totally impressed by his feat, and he sounds like a very idealistic and interesting person. But I was slightly sadened by the sense that he can't figure out where he fits into the modern world and how he will live, bounces from one place and relationship to another without making real connections, etc. It reminds me of a few fellow Vietnam vets I know who are stuck in a certain time and place (if you go to the Vietnam memorial in DC you will see these guys; they really got stunted and stopped growing about 35 years ago and some of them now can't seem to fit in anywhere).

I hope that sense about Scott was wrong, and I certainly wish him well.

Stickman

SavageLlama
04-23-2005, 10:00
I thought it was a great article.. Not the typical type of stuff you find in a hiking magazine. Definitely worth reading.