PDA

View Full Version : State of Bug Season in The Pemi?

Monkeywrench
06-03-2012, 11:17
I am contemplating a 3 or 4 day loop in the Pemi, and wondering what the bugs are like there now. I'm guessing it's the height of black fly season, but perhaps I'm wrong. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge about what it's like now, and if it's bad, when it usually eases?

Thanks!

Chaco Taco
06-09-2012, 19:41
They are pretty intense. Probably will start getting better in a couple of weeks.

peakbagger
06-10-2012, 06:07
THey are usually gone by July 4th. I wasnt bothered by them much a week ago.

Slo-go'en
06-10-2012, 13:49
They were pretty thick yesterday and today. If it stays warm (and it should), they will at thier worst the next couple of weeks.

Monkeywrench
06-12-2012, 07:35
It turned out I didn't have enough time for a Pemi trip anyway. Just got back from a 2-day circuit of the Tully Trail in Massachusetts instead. Mostly good conditions, though the mosquitoes for the first couple of hours yesterday were vicious. Ended up with legs and arms smeared with blood and crushed mosquitoes.

It's a bit of a lopsided hike as there is only one legal camping spot. It's a 22-mile loop, but it breaks down to 6 1/2 one day and 15 1/2 the other. I haven't hiked 15.5 miles with a pack on since my thru-hike 3 years ago, so I was a bit sore at the end.

jakedatc
06-17-2012, 21:05
It turned out I didn't have enough time for a Pemi trip anyway. Just got back from a 2-day circuit of the Tully Trail in Massachusetts instead. Mostly good conditions, though the mosquitoes for the first couple of hours yesterday were vicious. Ended up with legs and arms smeared with blood and crushed mosquitoes.

It's a bit of a lopsided hike as there is only one legal camping spot. It's a 22-mile loop, but it breaks down to 6 1/2 one day and 15 1/2 the other. I haven't hiked 15.5 miles with a pack on since my thru-hike 3 years ago, so I was a bit sore at the end.

whoa someone else did this trail? lol i did it a month ago. definitely lots of hiking day 1 if you go up Tully mtn first and do the falls day 2. glad i did it that way though since having the long day 2nd without much to look forward to would be depressing. shelter is pretty sweet. hopefully the water in the river was better than i had.

Monkeywrench
06-18-2012, 08:46
whoa someone else did this trail? lol i did it a month ago. definitely lots of hiking day 1 if you go up Tully mtn first and do the falls day 2. glad i did it that way though since having the long day 2nd without much to look forward to would be depressing. shelter is pretty sweet. hopefully the water in the river was better than i had.

I did it CCW, so the short day first. It made sense to go that way since I didn't get started to mid-day. It was nice taking my time to wander the 6 1/2 miles to the shelter with no pressure to make miles.

The water source at the shelter is a brown water stream, so not all that appetizing, but common enough in New England.

There was a bit too much road walking for my taste on the second day, but all in all it was an enjoyable trip. Sometimes it's just good to get away from daily life for a couple of days.

jakedatc
06-18-2012, 09:00
Yea, didn't taste great when i was there either. definitely too much road walking.. that got old really quick. did get a good view of Monadnock from Tully mtn

Driver8
06-18-2012, 22:25
I got to the edge of the Pemi Saturday night, hiking in from Lincoln Woods parking lot on the Kanc and hiking to Franconia Brook East tentsite. Pretty buggy, and the skeeters didn't seen to mind that I'd applied deet spray. Nasty little buggers.

House of Payne
06-19-2012, 06:08
I'll be on the other side at the end of June, the wildcats, carters and imp. Was concerned about the nasty little buggers as well.

Tom Murphy
06-19-2012, 09:02
The lower elevations were pretty such clear of black flies but the summits of N&S Hancock were bad enough the I didn't stop for lunch.

The mosquitoes were legion.

Driver8
06-19-2012, 10:24
I'll be on the other side at the end of June, the wildcats, carters and imp. Was concerned about the nasty little buggers as well.

I hope to hike that area before this year is out. Really looking forward to the views from those peaks, and to exploring Carter Notch. Hope you enjoy your trip - please share a report and pics! :)

jakedatc
06-19-2012, 10:48
The lower elevations were pretty such clear of black flies but the summits of N&S Hancock were bad enough the I didn't stop for lunch.

The mosquitoes were legion.

i put my rain shell on and was able to stop long enough to eat. my dad chose to eat inside his headnet. We were up there Sunday.. South then down North. perfect day to be out otherwise.

House of Payne
06-21-2012, 17:36
I hope to hike that area before this year is out. Really looking forward to the views from those peaks, and to exploring Carter Notch. Hope you enjoy your trip - please share a report and pics! :)

I'll be happy to send you some info on how my son and I make out. I'm looking forward to it.

RED-DOG
06-21-2012, 17:43
One of the worst years i've seen.