PDA

View Full Version : Does hiking make you smarter ?

johnnybgood
06-03-2012, 14:37
Apparently there has been research done, and the finding suggests that hiking stimulates the neurons in the brain.
The researchers who designed this experiment suggest that exposure to nature and the great outdoors causes significant changes in brain function.
These changes cause you to think more clearly, focus with more clarity, and ultimately maximize cognitive ability.

I should hike more... lord knows I need more brain power. ;)

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 14:40
Oh, I thought you meant "by comparison".

Never mind.............;):D

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 15:03
...........Huh?

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 15:08
...........Huh?

There's my proof...........:D

blackbird04217
06-03-2012, 15:29
I'm not sure it would be a far stretch from the truth. While hiking you use your mind a lot more, perform basic math and problem solving skills fairly often; and while walking your brain is free to actually think and not just become flooded with inputs- books, wikipedia, tv, radios, someone on the phone... etc When faced with questions while hiking, you are more apt to think about it without using google, or any other reference information you fancy.

Odd Man Out
06-03-2012, 15:35
I know there are a lot of studies that show metal engagement, solving puzzles, etc... is very beneficial, so I can believe it. On a long distance hike, you are also exercising using your cognitive abilities, even if you don't realize it or think about it. You are constantly assessing your surroundings - monitoring the weather, looking for animals or signs of animals, looking for trail markers, and adjusting your clothing layers. You are planning ahead so you have water, food, a place to sleep. You are interacting with new people you meet on the trail - social interactions require a lot of brain power. You have to deal with the unexpected, plan for the unforeseen, and solve problems. And if you do these things badly, the outcome can be very bad. You alone are responsible for your well being, so there is a lot of pressure to do it well or pay the consequences. I enjoy hiking because I see it as a big puzzle to solve and I enjoy using my own knowledge, skill, and creativity to solve puzzles.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 15:37
Thinking while hiking?

"I wonder if that wet root is slippery."

Pedaling Fool
06-03-2012, 15:48
Easy way to prove this, do a poll and see how many hikers believe in global warming... :)

Hiking is also suppose to be good for your health, so why are there so many weeble wobbles at get-togethers :eek: :D

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 15:52
the thinking doesnt lead to more brainpower, its that changes in the way the brain functions, from mere exposure itself to the natural world. I read this study myself,, and I believe it stems from the void of the constant bombardment of information we're forced to process in society, and as your internal dialogue subsides as you hike leads to a clearer more focused thinking process.
maybe.
like chinmusic suggests, i really dont do a whole lot of thinking on the trail-i.e left foot, right foot, left foot....now what?hmmmmmm

johnnybgood
06-03-2012, 16:23
the thinking doesnt lead to more brainpower, its that changes in the way the brain functions, from mere exposure itself to the natural world. I read this study myself,, and I believe it stems from the void of the constant bombardment of information we're forced to process in society, and as your internal dialogue subsides as you hike leads to a clearer more focused thinking process.
maybe.
like chinmusic suggests, i really dont do a whole lot of thinking on the trail-i.e left foot, right foot, left foot....now what?hmmmmmm

Engaging the mind in a purposeful activity was my interpretation of the article.

Of course we all know that actual hiking is better than cyber hiking .... now what was I doing ?

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 16:29
I actually look at the trail as a way to CLEAR the mind.

Left foot, right foot, where is that blaze, repeat. Now, survival mode can get your attention.......

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 16:30
Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis(pointer finger muscle) is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus(some muscle in the lower leg area).

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 16:32
Engaging the mind in a purposeful activity was my interpretation of the article.

Of course we all know that actual hiking is better than cyber hiking .... now what was I doing ?
we can hike all we want, but i dont think we'll ever resolve the questions of tent vs hammock and how long cheese stays on the trail?

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 16:34
Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus.

Not if you just came out of the pool.

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 16:36
does hiking teach you latin, too?

WIAPilot
06-03-2012, 16:36
I think a lot of your cognitive functions during a hike,in part, are due to the utilization of all your senses. Think about it: When you are out in nature-your visual sense is stimulated, as are a multitude of auditory and smell senses. Moreover, you are moving and feeling with each step. You can taste your sweat and your body is registering a vast array of temperatures. Now add to this the fact that you are allowing a lot of oxygen into your brain cells at the same time and it makes a lot of sense to me.

WIAPilot
06-03-2012, 16:37
Quid pro quo...

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 16:39
does hiking teach you latin, too?Nope Binged it.

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 16:40
i had to google bing to find out what it was. :)

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 16:42
Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus.

thats probably due to checking out spokes profile pics every day.

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 16:43
I think a lot of your cognitive functions during a hike,in part, are due to the utilization of all your senses. Think about it: When you are out in nature-your visual sense is stimulated, as are a multitude of auditory and smell senses. Moreover, you are moving and feeling with each step. You can taste your sweat and your body is registering a vast array of temperatures. Now add to this the fact that you are allowing a lot of oxygen into your brain cells at the same time and it makes a lot of sense to me.True,but if you have ever cyber hike on a busy Fri night here,then you know it takes every ounce of your being to hang in there.

coach lou
06-03-2012, 16:50
we can hike all we want, but i dont think we'll ever resolve the questions of tent vs hammock and how long cheese stays on the trail?

I want to jump in, but this thread is way too deep for me.

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 17:00
Not if you just came out of the pool.Aye,that is true.Whether we cyber hike or hike out of doors,I am reminded of a old saying,The Tide Raises all Boats.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 17:07
I am reminded of a old saying,The Tide Raises all Boats.

Tide also washes all clothes.

atmilkman
06-03-2012, 17:20
Tide also washes all clothes.
The Tide rolls.

atmilkman
06-03-2012, 17:22
The Tide rolls.

Couldn't help it. You guys opened the door.

kayak karl
06-03-2012, 17:41
Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau

Acacia
06-03-2012, 18:13

Left foot, right foot, where is that blaze, repeat. Now, survival mode can get your attention.......

your are probably thinking on a subliminal level
subminimal level ?
sub....??
subconscious!

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 19:52
Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David ThoreauMe thinks your both pretty smart.And I too have flowing thoughts while walking,good find Karl.

Minnitonka
06-03-2012, 19:57
Like. :banana

( oh yeah, there is no like button ;-)

I would have to agree. I can tell you from personal experience that hiking helps my brain. In general, I would beleive that it stimulates certain neurons and probably increases neutotransmitters as well.

atmilkman
06-03-2012, 20:10
I don't know if hiking makes me any smarter but I sure do talk to God a lot more. "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." And you can quote me on that.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 20:17
Does speed hiking make you smarter faster?

johnnybgood
06-03-2012, 20:21
"Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." And you can quote me on that.

Okay ! So done .

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 20:23

Maybe but youd be mising the point!

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 20:28
Like. :banana

( oh yeah, there is no like button ;-)

I would have to agree. I can tell you from personal experience that hiking helps my brain. In general, I would beleive that it stimulates certain neurons and probably increases neutotransmitters as well.As long as were talking about electrons,I too have used the term,"goin hikeing to recharge the batteries"Hey I wonder if you plug in your light to yourself,would it charge?

Spokes
06-03-2012, 20:55
Yep, lots of research suggests getting out in nature makes you smarter. This 7 page article in Backpacker Magazine outlines several recent ones. As always ignore the popups!

http://www.backpacker.com/hiking-makes-you-smarter/articles/16691

Rasty
06-03-2012, 20:55

You may not retain as much!

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 21:04
Yep, lots of research suggests getting out in nature makes you smarter. This 7 page article in Backpacker Magazine outlines several recent ones. As always ignore the popups!

7 pages?

I'm just a section hiker. Is there a summary?

Odd Man Out
06-03-2012, 22:15

Or that other issue, Arma virumque cano (i.e. you packin'?)

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 22:26
A clear mind leads to better decision making.enjoying nature helps clear the mind of chatter.and if you listen closely,in the stillness hear the voice of god.

hikerboy57
06-03-2012, 22:31
.do we need a new trail latin forum?
Or that other issue, Arma virumque cano (i.e. you packin'?)
I thouvht latin waas a dead language

Saprogenic
06-03-2012, 22:32
does hiking teach you latin, too?

Ubi, O Ubi, est meus sub ubi?

Saprogenic
06-03-2012, 22:34
...That was the very first thing my old Latin teacher taught me. He was goofy.

Saprogenic
06-03-2012, 22:50
Ubi, O Ubi, est meus sub ubi?

Forgot to translate- (Where O where is my underwear?)

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 00:40

http://www.backpacker.com/hiking-makes-you-smarter/articles/16691 Spokes,I read the entire article,and found it very interesting,it is was quick read and I learned a few things I did not know.I've no doubt that there findings on a larger test group will yield the same results,it just sounded like it makes such good since.Not really surprised though,many times we have all felt that getting away and hiking in the woods has in fact refreshed us,which I'm sure allowed for some better,smarter cognition.I know I've never come out of the woods from a hike and said,"Wow that was a terrible hike"And have heard so many say the same thing,"I'm taking a hike to get recharged",as scientific as the study is,on a real basic level,not surprised,because so many have come to the same conclusion with out really knowing the science behind it...they just felt refreshed.When so many have felt this way,then there has to be a connection.Pretty cool,thanks for posting it.

And to the original poster for having the cognition and fore site,and actually followed through with such a poignant topic.Must have just come back from a hike.Whoop....there it is!

Tinker
06-04-2012, 00:47
Apparently there has been research done, and the finding suggests that hiking stimulates the neurons in the brain.
The researchers who designed this experiment suggest that exposure to nature and the great outdoors causes significant changes in brain function.
These changes cause you to think more clearly, focus with more clarity, and ultimately maximize cognitive ability.

I should hike more... lord knows I need more brain power. ;)

Hiking doesn't make people smarter, smarter people like to hike. ;)

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 00:54
Hiking doesn't make people smarter, smarter people like to hike. ;)Ah,Tinker:sun ,you make your master proud.

Tinker
06-04-2012, 00:59
.do we need a new trail latin forum?
I thouvht latin waas a dead language

Illigitimai non carborundum. It isn't dead, it's just hiding.

OzJacko
06-04-2012, 01:26
Felicitas est parvus canis calidus
Happiness is a warm puppy - Charles M Scultz. Learnt that over 40 years ago.

I find it hard to put any store by this kind of question.
For it to be meaningful you have to be sure that your research had people of equal intelligence to begin with (not easy).
Then you would have to ensure both groups had similar improvements (?) in diet and exercise. Only then could you start to say that hiking, as opposed to say gym workout, makes you smarter.
Methinks Tinker had the real answer.
The folks at Walasi-Yi probably would tell you that dumb people don't hike for long.
We may all be stupid, but not dumb. BIG difference. :-)

weary
06-04-2012, 12:56

Clearing the mind sharpens the mind.

ChinMusic
06-04-2012, 14:47
Clearing the mind sharpens the mind.
Mine should be a razor by now.