PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deflate a Therma-Rest

Double Wide
06-03-2012, 14:48
Hey guys--

I use a Therma-Rest ProLite pad to sleep on, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it. My only problem is, it seems to get bigger every time I try to put it into the carry bag. 95% of the time, it's semi-inflated with the valve open, lying on the floor under the bed, but when I load up the pack and head out for the weekend, it's a cast-iron bitch to get it deflated and rolled up as small as it was on the day I brought it home. It's easier to do it on the living room floor, but out in the woods, I swear it takes me 20 minutes.

Any tips on how to get it deflated as quickly as possible and rolled up as tightly as possible? So far, it's the only piece of gear that makes me cuss...:rolleyes:

Thx!

Sugarfoot
06-03-2012, 15:25
Roll it once, from the end toward the valve (kind of obvious, yes?), expressing as much air as you can. Close the valve. Then spread it out, fold length-wise in thirds and roll a second time, opening the valve about half way through. It takes less than five minutes and will be as small as when you bought it. At least it works for me.

Skid.
06-03-2012, 15:44
ditto what Sugarfoot says, that's exactly what I do, works consistently well every time.

Lyle
06-03-2012, 15:51
I do the same, but omit the first step, never had a bit of trouble getting it rolled much smaller than the storage bag. Just open the valve, fold it lengthwise, and start rolling tightly toward the valve. I do occasionally pull the edges together and re-align them while rolling so that it remains squared and evenly folded, otherwise it may end up being too long to fit in the storage sack.

Just practice a few times.

Lyle
06-03-2012, 15:51
Once you get it rolled tightly, close the valve again so it doesn't try to re-inflate.

Lyle
06-03-2012, 15:54
One more thing, while rolling, and occasional knee on the rolled portion, between your hands, also expels some additional air.

moldy
06-03-2012, 16:27
I had a problem with too much folding. I developed a leak right in the spot where the corner of a fold was. I now just roll it up without folding. To protect it better, I carry it in an old plastic poster tube that I cut down.

VTATHiker
06-03-2012, 16:55
Thanks for the tip moldy. I've been wondering if others just roll without folding, but I figured that would leave the pad more vulnerable in the pack. Off to look for lightweight poster tubes...

shelb
06-03-2012, 21:06
Once you get it rolled tightly, close the valve again so it doesn't try to re-inflate.

Closing the valve is the key!

Rain Man
06-03-2012, 21:55
As others said, roll it twice. Works for me like a charm. Rolling it just once ... FAIL.

As far as folding it, I do if it was folded originally and I'm putting it in its original stuff sack. I don't fold it on the first roll, but do on the second.

And yes, definitely close the air-valve after the first roll. And I do kneel on it at the end of each roll to express more air.

Rain:sunMan

dzierzak
06-04-2012, 08:52
Sitting on it after the first roll deflates a whole lot more than just a knee while rolling...

P1nkPanther
06-04-2012, 16:46
I do the 2-roll-and-knee method, but I don't fold. I carry it rolled on the outside of my pack, with a trekker roll sack to protect it/cinch it. I'm not a very careful/graceful person getting my pack on and off, but the pad didn't seem to suffer from it.

I always use the stuff sack for other gear just in case. Good plan, evidently. I had to leave the trail in a hurry and ended up checking my pack as-is on the airplane, so I needed everything inside. I was able to get my pad in the sack with ease even though I hadn't folded it in over 6 months.

OzJacko
06-05-2012, 07:57
All of the above but first let the air out while still in your bag. Reach out and open the valve and then when your full body length has expelled as much as possible, close the valve again. This works well for NeoAirs etc too.
Can be used as a motivator to get up. The arm is easier to get out of the bag than the rest of you on a cold morning and then the lack of mattress helps the rest of the body follow.

Double Wide
06-05-2012, 13:40
Great idea OzJ! I hadn't thought of that, and I think that would be *perfect* motivation for me, plus a real time-saver in the morning.

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 14:57
I also do the 2-roll and knee method, then I fold it flat in sixths and slide it inside my pack along the back side (against the suspension.) I started doing this when I used a SMD Starlite, which has a pad pocket built for this, and kept it up with my new pack. While of course it still takes up the same amount of space inside the pack, doing it flat like this, rather than rolled up, makes it easier for me to maximize the rest of the space inside. Been doing it this way for years, never had an issue with leaks or anything.

GrayBear
06-05-2012, 16:21
I would just leave the "carry bag" at home. Role it up and put it in your backpack. A bit of air in the mat may take up some small amount of room but it weighs a lot less then the carry bag. No fuss, no stress and lighter weight. GrayBear

Obiwan
06-06-2012, 15:58
I also do the 2-roll technique

And I open the valve while laying on it to vent most of the air before the first roll

hikehunter
06-06-2012, 18:23
I do the same way. I want as much space as I can get in my pack.

cknight
06-06-2012, 20:19
I gave up and now leave the little bag at home. Open the valve, roll from opposite end and stand it up in the inside corner of you pack. GrayBear is correct, leave the stress at home with the bag

Chicken Feathers
06-08-2012, 20:33
The bag that came with it is worthless they made it so small you need a crow bar to get it out either find you another bag which I did or don't use one

Lyle
06-08-2012, 20:57
Wow, I can't imagine all the problems folks are having rolling this up. I find it very easy to get it much smaller than the bag, even rolling just once. Has never taken me more than one try, and never more than 45 seconds, maybe a Minute.

We are talking the Thermarest ProLite, right? Do they ship the same storage bag with the 3/4 length and the full length? Mine is a 3/4, so maybe that is the difference.

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 21:03
I can honestly say,I had No Idea there were so many ways to roll up a pad.

ShaneP
06-11-2012, 22:39
open valve, roll up, sit on it, close valve, repeat

swammie
06-11-2012, 23:42
Not to hijack the thread, but what do folks do to air out their air mattresses? I'd never given it a thought until recently. And it seems that all that moisture we breathe into it has to accumulate....and how the heck to air it out?

Rain Man
06-12-2012, 09:47
Not to hijack the thread, but what do folks do to air out their air mattresses? I'd never given it a thought until recently. And it seems that all that moisture we breathe into it has to accumulate....and how the heck to air it out?

That's why the official advice is to use a pump. But you are correct, you are blowing warm, moist air in with lots of bacteria, etc. Not much you can do, except leave the air valve open when in storage. I'd love to hear if anyone has a real solution (if this is a real problem).

Chicken Feathers
06-13-2012, 15:30
After a camping trip I fill mine with a up of clorox and 5 cups water and close valve and let stand for 5 days. This will kill any bacteria.

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 23:36
After a camping trip I fill mine with a up of clorox and 5 cups water and close valve and let stand for 5 days. This will kill any bacteria.Chicken Feathers,your crazy,I would never do that,it's insane,just pure insanity,I'd go with a cup and a quarter.geez.....

Rain Man
06-14-2012, 00:00
After a camping trip I fill mine with a up of clorox and 5 cups water and close valve and let stand for 5 days. This will kill any bacteria.

AND disintegrate any foam rubber in there?! LOL

Skyline
06-14-2012, 00:25
I don't try to use that ridiculously small, thin sack that my Thermarest originally came in. I use a slightly larger one that is also shaped more appropriately for a Thermarest that has been folded in half and then rolled up. This shape fits better in my pack anyway. Sometimes I need to roll it twice as described elsewhere in this thread.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 08:41
I can honestly say,I had No Idea there were so many ways to roll up a pad.

16288 IT's how we roll.....

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 16:31
16288 IT's how we roll.....Strangley,I have an answer for that one,stick your finger in the tube.....I can't,I just can't laughing to hard right now....too funny,lets just say thee ol' one square military method.hehehe

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 19:22
Told ya - ya need arm rests to hang on to the office chair.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 20:12
Told ya - ya need arm rests to hang on to the office chair.Nope,grab bars around the tiolet seat.:D

Velvet Gooch
06-14-2012, 20:43
Cigar burns and bullet holes

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 21:39
I don't remember McGyver using a gun.... or Cigar.... but that was a long time ago. McGruber was funny thou.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 21:52
MacGyver was awesome,he could build a bomb out of bisquick,imagine what he could do with a thermarest and bleach,it would be some kinda flying carpet that could transport ya to and from resuplies