PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question from first time multi day hiker

canoe
06-03-2012, 20:37
How do you find the springs? How are they identified? Went for a day hike around the Hawksbill area and could not find the spring that was on the map and in the book. No one was around to ask where it was. Is there something out there to help find it or do you just keep looking until you find a puddle? Told you it was a stupid question...but thanks for the help

canoe

Rasty
06-03-2012, 20:53
If yoy know the general area the spring is supposed to be, look for a dry stream or run off bed. The water has to go down hill.

johnnybgood
06-03-2012, 22:16
Springs near the huts and day use shelters sometimes have cement posts with metal bands . Yellow bands indicate boiling water for one minute is recommended before drinking.
There are almost 900 springs in the park and without knowing I'm sure there's a good percentage unmarked.

canoe
06-03-2012, 22:53
Thanks for the info Robert and Johnny. You say there are 900 springs within the park... Do you know how many there are along the AT in the park. Im not finding that many springs on the maps or in the books. Is there other resources to find more springs other than ATC books and maps?

peakbagger
06-04-2012, 07:24
Not trying to be condescending, but you may be confused with a definition of a "spring". Spring does not neccesarilly indicate a pipe with water gushing out of it or a crack in the side of a mountain with water flowing out. A small creek runnign through the woods is also referred to as a "spring". Even thouhg its a spring, it may still need toi be treated unless its coming directly out of the ground. Up north, some of the springs are decidely a lot less appealing.

canoe
06-04-2012, 09:26
All water that I find will be treated
my problem is finding water

FlyPaper
06-04-2012, 10:02
How do you find the springs? How are they identified? Went for a day hike around the Hawksbill area and could not find the spring that was on the map and in the book. No one was around to ask where it was. Is there something out there to help find it or do you just keep looking until you find a puddle? Told you it was a stupid question...but thanks for the help

canoe

I have generally found that springs that are marked in any official AT map or guidebook are either visible from the trail itself or marked with a sign at the head of a side trail. They have always been hard to miss. I've never been to Hawksbill, but I suspect you are dealing with a very unusual spring if it is somehow hard to spot. Since your question is more of a general question, I'd say that in the future you won't have much trouble finding other springs.

There are more water sources on the trail than appear in most AT maps and guidebooks. If the water source does appear in an AT map or guidebook, it is almost always easy to spot.

Two Speed
06-04-2012, 10:23
How do you find the springs?Learning to read a topo map goes a long way to finding water sources.

Gray Blazer
06-04-2012, 10:34
Learning to read a topo map goes a long way to finding water sources.

This is true. Needed the topo to find water on the Art Loeb Trail in NC.

Canoe, sometimes the springs are a long way downhill. Sometimes a half mile.

canoe
06-04-2012, 21:35
Thanks guys for the help. I do know what a spring is. thanks for trying to help. The spring I was looking for was at Rock Spring hut. It was either dry or I just couldnt find it.

johnnybgood
06-04-2012, 21:45
Thanks guys for the help. I do know what a spring is. thanks for trying to help. The spring I was looking for was at Rock Spring hut. It was either dry or I just couldnt find it.

Hey canoe ! The spring at Rock Spring is down the hill from the hut , about 40 feet to the left of the Rock Spring Cabin. Not always a reliable water source either.

johnnybgood
06-04-2012, 21:46
Make that to the right of said cabin.

10-K
06-04-2012, 22:09

It happens and that's a good question. If it's a problem for you really just carry extra.

Be observant when you're hiking - quite often you can look down in the woods off the trail and see a creek. You'll learn to recognize likely places where there might be water - a big clump of green in an area where it's mostly trees and wooded and whatever.

And a good map of course.

canoe
06-04-2012, 22:38
Thanks again to all for the help. I hope to do another pre hike before we hike thru the entire park. Maybe i can find them then.