PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on how to get started?...

4shot
06-04-2012, 13:11
I must admit, I am tempted to sample the "dark side" (I carry a tarptent) just to see how it works out. I really don't know anyone who hangs and who might loan me one for a test drive and don't have an outfitter close by. I do know that I have seen a lot of hangers out there and they all seem very satisfied.

I am too frugal to invest a bunch of $$ in something like this in the offhand chance I prefer to remain with my tent. I also know it doesn't pay to invest in a cheap gear as you end up replacing it anyways.I suppose I could look for used gear here and on ebay.

so how did you get started? did you try before you bought or did you just jump in? I appreciate any tips/ideas/suggestions.

Monkeywrench
06-04-2012, 14:16
I must admit, I am tempted to sample the "dark side" (I carry a tarptent) just to see how it works out. I really don't know anyone who hangs and who might loan me one for a test drive and don't have an outfitter close by. I do know that I have seen a lot of hangers out there and they all seem very satisfied.

I am too frugal to invest a bunch of $$ in something like this in the offhand chance I prefer to remain with my tent. I also know it doesn't pay to invest in a cheap gear as you end up replacing it anyways.I suppose I could look for used gear here and on ebay.

so how did you get started? did you try before you bought or did you just jump in? I appreciate any tips/ideas/suggestions.

I just jumped in with both feet. I've backpacked all of my life but had always used tents. I decided to change to a hammock and had only spent a single night sleeping in mine before I started my thru-hike in '09.

That said, giving it a try out before committing time and money makes perfect sense. I would suggest registering at www.hammockforums.net and posting an inquiry for hammock hangers in your area that would be willing to show you the ropes and let you try their hammocks.

bigcranky
06-04-2012, 15:10
I met a thru-hiker in 2002 who was using a Hennessy Hammock. I'd never seen one before. He let me climb inside, and I ordered one as soon as I got home. Bought the longer model the following year, and have used it for warm-weather solo hiking ever since.

You can buy an inexpensive hammock from BIAS with the suspension kit for about $65 (http://www.buttinasling.com/wewehakit.html). Try it sleeping in the yard in good weather. Use a thin closed cell foam pad for bottom insulation. If you like sleeping in it, you'll probably want a bug net and you definitely want a tarp to keep the rain off. I like the Maccat Deluxe, which is a deal at $115 (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccat_tarps.php), but you can rig a $10 blue poly tarp from WalMart if you like, it just weighs more.

Just got back from a week on the trail and slept in my hammock every night. The most comfortable night's sleep in the backcountry ever. For me, anyway. I still take a tent for cold weather or when hiking with my wife, but the hammock is just so much more comfortable and easy to hang and use.

max patch
06-04-2012, 15:29
I have no interest in hanging, and I don't know Sgt Rock, but he is supposed to be having some kind of meet and greet for hangers on the BMT in a week or so that sounds exactly what you are looking for. At least thats what someone told me. Perhaps someone who actually knows something about this will chime in.

Rain Man
06-04-2012, 15:41
4shot, you might want to check out www.hammockforums.net, but watch out, it's addictive. I'd be happy to loan you a hammock, if you want to try it some weekend in your yard or on a hike. We have both tents and hammocks, but my wife has asked for the hammock the last couple of times she's gone with me. It is comfortable!

Neo is hosting a hammock hang on Bear Island in Percy Priest Lake this very weekend. Care to come out and see the various set-ups that people have?

Rain:sunMan

kayak karl
06-04-2012, 17:45
this is rock's hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52524). hes concentrating on the ultra-lite stuff, but all will be there. you will get to see a lot of DIY stuff

4shot
06-05-2012, 07:44
thanks to all. I will look at coming to either Percy Priest or the event over on the BMT (or both). Rain Man, may take you up on the offer - I'll send a pm if I can get over on Saturday.