PDA

View Full Version : cold sleeper needs base layer help

Crazy Janey
04-13-2005, 13:32
If this was covered, maybe someone can post the thread. I'm not sure what to search under.

What materials should I be looking for in a base layer for sleeping? I am usually very cold, and we'll be hiking in Maine in early July. I know it could get warm at that time up there, I still will be pretty cold at night.

I was looking at the Duofold line and have heard good things, but I'm concerned I might not be warm enough.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Stoker53
04-13-2005, 13:41
What sleeping bag do you use? Long johns work well but there are many fabrics/weights avail so knowing the temp rating of your bag may help get your question answered.

Best thing I can recommend is a light weight fleece or wool hat. It's the single biggest thing you can do to sleep warmer.

Duofold makes good stuff and is a good value.
Good luck.

Mags
04-13-2005, 13:43
Yep..wear a hat to bed, eat some food before going to bed, be hydrated, make sure your sleeping pad is thick enough for you.

All little tips to stay warm at night.

Crazy Janey
04-13-2005, 14:00
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely wear a hat.

Bag- north face flight 35 degrees. But getting a new one isn't out of the question. And I don't have a pad yet.

Mags
04-13-2005, 14:10
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely wear a hat.

Bag- north face flight 35 degrees. But getting a new one isn't out of the question. And I don't have a pad yet.

Definitely get a sleeping pad! A pad is not just for comfort; a pad will protect you from the cold robbing ground.

If you are just starting off, a simple blue foam pad from any XYZmart's camping section should work fine. It is light and cheap (no more than $10).

You'll see a BIG difference in your comfort as the mercury dips.

Crazy Janey
04-13-2005, 14:11
Oh, I also have a fleece bag liner, but would only take that if I can afford the space it takes up and the weight.

Was planning on getting a pad. Just wasn't sure which one. I'll check out the kind you reccomend.. Thanks!

Kerosene
04-13-2005, 14:26
One of the inflatable Therma-Rest ProLite pads is more comfortable but a lot more expensive and they do weigh twice as much as a closed-cell pad. You might also check out the Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html?id=joDhgUCX :198.91.4.14) shortie-pad which only weighs 10 ounces but costs $70.

plodder
04-13-2005, 14:40
dedicated sleeping socks

YerbaJon
04-13-2005, 14:45
The hat suggestion is key because so much of our heat is lost from the head. I will add that an estimated 35% of the heat is loss from the exposed face. If you really want to warm up than I would bring a hat and bring a face mask/ski mask (usually available for under 10$); another viable solution is a balaclava, which covers your entire face and head.
Use a space blanket/emergency blanket as ground cover to reflect your heat back up to you.

Bad Ass Turtle
04-13-2005, 20:46
I always sleep in LongJohns -- for years I had a pair of Patagonia Capilenes, but I decided they were getting rather, well, worn, so I just bought a new set of midweight long underwear from EMS. I'll let you know how they do after trail days.

And here are my other rules for sleeping warm:

1. always wear a hat (that's already been said)
2. dedicated pair of socks for sleeping (this year I'm carrying a pair of those Acorn socks -- they actually weigh less than my smart wools and I'm thinking they'll keep me pretty warm. The reason it's so important to have a dedicated pair of socks is because anything that's even slightly damp will end up causing you to be cold. Which brings me to my next point:
3. dedicated sleeping wear -- I usually bring long underwear bottoms and top, socks, and a hat to sleep in and I try NEVER to wear those to hike. It's important, too, to take off that sweaty sports bra (besides, it's too uncomfortable to keep it on).

Hope this helps --

Bad Ass Turtle

Rendezvous01
04-13-2005, 21:09
Gotta agree with just about everything BAT said--tho can't say much about the sports bra thing. :D An added benefit to the dedicated jammies, including socks and nightcap, will be to keep your sleeping bag cleaner longer. Slept with socks, long undies, and t-shirt for 90+ nights in the summer of '01, still haven't washed my down bag since. Nor needed to. (It's a rectangular down bag which we use some winter nights as an extra quilt on the bed. If my wife hasn't ever noticed a problem, then there isn't a problem, right?! And she still thinks I must have washed it after I got home! Just aired it well.)

plodder
04-14-2005, 11:53
She knows now!

Fiddleback
04-14-2005, 15:42
DRY (that usually means fresh) clothes to sleep in; base layer, socks, etc. A closed cell pad (or two). Something for your head and your feet, e.g., balaclava, booties, etc.

Recently I picked up a set of Smartwool for a sleeping base layer. A little heavier than medium weight polypros but soooo comfy...:p

FB

Rendezvous01
04-14-2005, 22:06
She knows now!Nah! She has no interest at this point in time in the AT, Whiteblaze, hiking, all those good pursuits. Barely knows of my addiction to this website, although she's starting to wonder why I spend so much time on the computer.

Crazy Janey
04-14-2005, 22:08
So, are you saying that prolypo materials are what I should be looking for? I can probably go to any target and get a pair of waffly type long johns, but they're made of cotton, right? and probably not very comfy.
Thanks again for all the tips!

Pencil Pusher
04-14-2005, 22:44
Yeah, that's what they're saying: get polypro for clothing. Try spending a night on your back porch with all the mentioned gear to get a feel for what works. Sleeping naked in the bag works well, but the drawback is trying to put clothes back on in the cold or in the tight confines of the bag.

LIhikers
04-15-2005, 08:28
To help you stay warm at night
1. Make sure your bladder is drained before climbing into your bag for the night.
2. Bring a small piece of chocolate with you. If you wake up during the night, and are cold, the choc. will give your body the fuel it needs to make more heat.

Mags
04-15-2005, 10:13
So, are you saying that prolypo materials are what I should be looking for? I can probably go to any target and get a pair of waffly type long johns, but they're made of cotton, right? and probably not very comfy.
Thanks again for all the tips!

Yeah..try to avoid the cotton long undies. If cotton long undies get wet, you are S.O.L.

Sometimes Target type stores will sell polypro, but that is usually just before and after hunting season. In other words, limited times of the year.

Check out your local outfitter.

You can buy from "one of us" (Fiddlehead is onthis board) at:
http://www.theunderwearguys.com/

Good prices on many baselayer clothing ...

"ME & U"
04-15-2005, 20:25
I recently bought a pair of compression tights from EMS. I planned to use them for a base layer while I ice climb and they work great! I slept in them for 3 nights and was totaly impressed with the comfort/warmth. I've decided to make them my sleeping gear as they aren't loose fitting and I tend to get choked up in clothing when I sleep. Worth checking out!

Brycen
04-20-2005, 23:12
The best way I've found to stay warm on the nights where my sleeping bag is pushed to its limits is to boil a liter of water, pour it into my nalgene bottle, and put the bottle at the foot of my sleeping bag. Just make sure the lid is screwed on tight. On one 15 degree night in my 15 degree sleeping bag my bottle was still warm after 10 hours.

Marta
04-21-2005, 19:09
I've found the lightweight wool (cheap from DuoFold, or you could go with the high-priced stuff from NZ) is warmer than polypro and doesn't feel clammy. Also, it helps my feet keep warm if I wash them before putting on my sleeping socks. (It really feels good, too.) The hat is a huge help. I made a weird-looking thing from leftovers of a camping quilt project--same materials, a couple of inches thick and very warm. My next sewing project will probably be a "bomber hat" from a Ray-Way kit. On seriously cold nights, I second the advice to warm up the bag with a Nalgene full of boiling water down by the feet. For very cold nights, I also put on my rain wear, assuming it's not wet. (If it's above freezing, I probably wouldn't need it anyway.) Hopefully it won't be that cold this summer, even in Maine.