PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Blaze 2012

miami
06-04-2012, 16:21
I know a couple folks have already done the Shenandoah River Aqua Blaze this year. Any reports/ reviews?

Also, are there any Trail Angels that have access to some canoes (Waynesboro to Harpers)? I am trying to get ahold of 2 canoes for my friends and I. Thanks!!! :)

Rain Man
06-04-2012, 20:59
In '04 my daughter Grass and her group decided to aqua blaze on the Shenandoah around the SNP. In the first half hour, someone in the group (not my daughter!) wrapped their canoe around a partially submerged tree.

That was the end of the group's lazy wet unfaithfulness to the AT! :eek:

Rain:sunMan

strollingalong
06-29-2012, 13:46
I'm just about to do it..... not sure it's going to be lazy.... quite the opposite in fact. in waynesboro....river low...kick ass deal on a boat...yeaahhh

RED-DOG
06-29-2012, 15:42
My take on the Aqua blaze is when a person hikes from springer MT and makes it to Wynesboro there tired of the same old grind day in and day out and their ready for something different and the Aqua Blaze offers that and it is an afficial AT route, but i have never done the Aqua Blaze i have always hiked the SNP which in my oppinion is a pretty hike unless its rainning. RED-DOG

fireneck
06-30-2012, 14:43
Did Elkton, VA - Luray, VA. Two portages, some great white water and an excellent rope swing!

Skyline
06-30-2012, 22:27
My take on the Aqua blaze is when a person hikes from springer MT and makes it to Wynesboro there tired of the same old grind day in and day out and their ready for something different and the Aqua Blaze offers that and it is an afficial AT route, but i have never done the Aqua Blaze i have always hiked the SNP which in my oppinion is a pretty hike unless its rainning. RED-DOG

It might be a great diversion, but could you quote your source on the Shenandoah River being "an official route" of the AT?

IrishBASTARD
07-02-2012, 19:49
It might be a great diversion, but could you quote your source on the Shenandoah River being "an official route" of the AT? Color me arrogant but I asked about aqua blazing the trail...at the ATC HQ in Harpers...the VERY helpful and cool guy running it that day said "IT IS NOT NOR IS CONSIDERED A PART OF THE A.T". You can believe me or ask the gentleman at the HQ

Skyline
07-02-2012, 20:37
Color me arrogant but I asked about aqua blazing the trail...at the ATC HQ in Harpers...the VERY helpful and cool guy running it that day said "IT IS NOT NOR IS CONSIDERED A PART OF THE A.T". You can believe me or ask the gentleman at the HQ

Exactly. Still waiting to hear from RED-DOG.

Horsa
07-02-2012, 21:16
I just got in today from Aquablazing to Harpers Ferry. We did all the way from Port Republic (Waynesboro water levels were to low) to about 10 Miles short of HF.
Apart from some really shallow passage it was just great. We got a 2 person kanu and a Kayak and it worked out great. I got to say though, it is not really "easier" than hiking. Paddling for 8 hours a day makes you feel your arm and shoulder muscles. Especially after hiking for almost 2 months.

Cookerhiker
07-03-2012, 10:23
In the full sun exposure of the river and away from the shade of the green tunnel, I hope you had sufficient sun protection.

WingedMonkey
07-03-2012, 11:20
I just got in today from Aquablazing to Harpers Ferry. We did all the way from Port Republic (Waynesboro water levels were to low) to about 10 Miles short of HF.
Apart from some really shallow passage it was just great. We got a 2 person kanu and a Kayak and it worked out great. I got to say though, it is not really "easier" than hiking. Paddling for 8 hours a day makes you feel your arm and shoulder muscles. Especially after hiking for almost 2 months.

If you make it to Katahdin are you going to apply for a 2000 miler patch?

Horsa
07-04-2012, 14:54
may i? still the hike is over 2000 Miles

WingedMonkey
07-04-2012, 15:02
may i? still the hike is over 2000 Miles

Of course you may.

vitamaltz
07-16-2012, 18:12
I've read (but never been able to confirm) that Benton MacKaye encouraged hikers to paddle the Shenandoah as a form of protest against the proposed construction of Skyline Drive. He thought the road would ruin the AT experience (and he'd never even heard a Harley engine through the woods). I can't comment on whether Aquablazing is an official AT route, but it certainly involves the thru-hiker spirit and you're still moving toward Katahdin under muscle power.

I agree with the poster above; it's not necessarily easier than hiking; it's just a different kind of muscle soreness.

Get in touch with me when you're in Waynesboro. I have a business, Aquablaze Solutions, that does nothing but get thru-hikers on the river.

Skyline
07-16-2012, 18:46
I've read (but never been able to confirm) that Benton MacKaye encouraged hikers to paddle the Shenandoah as a form of protest against the proposed construction of Skyline Drive.......

Well, this issue's been settled for about 75 years so it is not relevant today, though the MacKaye vs. Avery disagreement re: Skyline Drive during the AT's infancy is well documented. (At least any possible 75+ year-old Skyline Drive "protest" isn't a current-day justification for bypassing a lot of mileage on the AT and still signing the ATC form one signs when applying for official recognition of hiking the entire AT.)

But just out of curiosity, do you recall where you read that MacKaye encouraged AT hikers to paddle a river instead of hiking on a trail?

RED-DOG
07-16-2012, 19:03
Well i could be wrong no bodies perfect you know.

bamboo bob
07-16-2012, 19:07
To claim a paddle as part of the AT is just plain bogus. You can convince yourself that taking the bus to Vermont is part of the trail. Aqua blazing is just a form of yellow blazing. Hike your own hike has to be an actual hike not a bike boat or car ride. What pussies.

WingedMonkey
07-16-2012, 19:18
Of course you may.

My statement should have been more clear, of course you may apply, you can skateboard down the Blue Ridge and apply.
I suppose it depends on how the ATC is judging honesty these days.

vitamaltz
07-16-2012, 19:29
But just out of curiosity, do you recall where you read that MacKaye encouraged AT hikers to paddle a river instead of hiking on a trail?

I could be wrong, but I think it was in a historical photo book about the AT in Virginia that I saw in a hardware store. I sure would like to track it down. The only reason I mention it is that the perception of the AT experience is constantly changing. I maintain trail in SNP and certainly think it's worth hiking through, but I don't think an aquablazer's experience is any less valid than someone who hoofs it through the park.

Skyline
07-16-2012, 23:25
I could be wrong, but I think it was in a historical photo book about the AT in Virginia that I saw in a hardware store. I sure would like to track it down. The only reason I mention it is that the perception of the AT experience is constantly changing. I maintain trail in SNP and certainly think it's worth hiking through, but I don't think an aquablazer's experience is any less valid than someone who hoofs it through the park.

If you ever come across that book again, please post the name/publisher here. I for one would find it worth perusing, and others may also.

You're right, the river experience is certainly valid insofar as an adventure is concerned. Hike your own hike, paddle your own boat.

I think many of us here are narrowing the discussion to what actually does comprise a hike of the entire AT, onlyas it regards applying to the ATC for official recognition (the rocker bar/patch, the certificate, having your name published as having accomplished a hike of the entire AT). You have to sign an appllication for that recognition, and nowhere on that application does it mention boating on a river several miles from the AT as a valid substitution. In fact, it specifically cites hiking the entire AT as the expectation.

It's all on the honor system, as ATC does not have the staff to verify every application. So, one might conclude: that to be "honorable," if he or she is going to do the aqua-blaze, that person should return to the part of the AT missed and hike that part of the Trail before signing the application.

Some hikers do just that. And some do not. Does that make their hike (and aqua-blaze) less "valid" than someone who hiked the actual trail? Nope. Is it less of an accomplishment? Nope. Less of an adventure? Nope. Does it mean he or she should expect ATC to officially recognize their accomplishment as if the entire AT was hiked when it was not? You probably don't need anyone to tell you the answer.

vitamaltz
07-17-2012, 06:22
Skyline, I agree completely (and now I'm on a quest to find that MacKaye statement). Not everybody who aquablazes even violates the ATC's definition of a thru. I have picked up numerous aquablazers in Harpers and taken them back to Waynesboro so they can get back on the trail where they left off. Aquablazing is hard. Aquablazing and then white-blazing the same section is just epic.

Skyline
07-17-2012, 09:46
Skyline, I agree completely (and now I'm on a quest to find that MacKaye statement). Not everybody who aquablazes even violates the ATC's definition of a thru. I have picked up numerous aquablazers in Harpers and taken them back to Waynesboro so they can get back on the trail where they left off. Aquablazing is hard. Aquablazing and then white-blazing the same section is just epic.

You've got it exactly right. So do those who shuttle back to Waynesboro after an aqua-blaze to do all the white blazes. May both examples inspire others--especially those who plan to apply to ATC for recognition.

IrishBASTARD
08-16-2012, 17:42
UNLESS your an official within said "ATC" you cannot state false information. Aka stating people who aquablaze "violates the ATC'S definition of a thru". In fact they do violate it as such as I have talked at length with a volunteer there. But oddly you deem yourself fit to tell people its OK to not HYOH...but blaze off trail. Strangely enough you own a BUSINESS that does just that...therefore by stating false facts your making yourself more money. IN CLOSING ASK THE ATC FOR ANYONE WHO THINK AQUA BLAZING IS PART OF THE TRAIL.

brian039
08-16-2012, 18:01
UNLESS your an official within said "ATC" you cannot state false information. Aka stating people who aquablaze "violates the ATC'S definition of a thru". In fact they do violate it as such as I have talked at length with a volunteer there. But oddly you deem yourself fit to tell people its OK to not HYOH...but blaze off trail. Strangely enough you own a BUSINESS that does just that...therefore by stating false facts your making yourself more money. IN CLOSING ASK THE ATC FOR ANYONE WHO THINK AQUA BLAZING IS PART OF THE TRAIL.

I think you missed this part: "Aquablazing and then white-blazing the same section"

Skyline
08-16-2012, 18:55

Irish,

I guess you didn't get the memo: the shuttle business I was involved with for five years closed at the end of October last year. Too many reasons to go into here, but it had nothing to do with aquablazing or the ATC.

Anyway, yes, we did provide shuttles up and down the AT and to many points east and west. It wasn't our place to ask why someone needed a shuttle--we just provided it. But it was pretty obvious when someone (usually a group of someones) was substituting the white-blazed trail with the river. Our business made it a practice not to be judgemental regarding shuttle clients' journeys or agendas. But we never told anyone that aquablazing was a recognized substitute for hiking the white blazes in the eyes of ATC.

My personal view is that aquablazing is fine, and probably a welcome diversion from what becomes (for some) drudgery by the time they get to Waynesboro. But make no mistake: the Shenandoah River is not the AT, and those who choose to aquablaze and then go back at some point to do the white blazes they skipped deserve accolades. Especially if they intend to sign the application applying for recognition by ATC. It doesn't matter if they do those white blazes right away, or do it after Katahdin, or do it in some future year. The important thing is that they do it before signing an app stating they did the entire AT. Judgemental? Perhaps, but it's in line with what ATC expects.

Don't plan on applying to ATC? Then it doesn't matter, does it?

vitamaltz
08-22-2012, 21:34
I think Irish may have been directing that comment at me. It's true, I own a business that is all about aquablazing, but it's not true that I try to pump it up to make money. I still have half a dozen boats to repair before I put them up for the winter, and I've made less than $300 profit from aquablazing this year. It's a business in the legal sense, but it's a labor of love, not a financially wise use of my time. I do it because I like hikers. Preachy Whiteblazers, not so much...

Like Brian said, some people aquablaze and then immediately return to start hiking where they left the trail.

johnevangiles
10-29-2012, 16:51
My best friend and I did an Aqua Blaze in our 2010 thru hike. We did 5 days and 100 miles up the river, and it was absolutely AMAZING! We had a couple times of bad weather, a couple times of flipping the canoe, a couple times of porting and dragging it across rocks; but all of these small things are nothing compared to the incredible feeling of adventure we had while canoeing up the Shenandoah. We slept in cow pastures, swam anytime we wanted in perfect temp. water. We found a great rope swing every day. We saw some of the best wildlife during the days, including a heron island sanctuary, racoons fighting for fish, baby deer, dozens of bald eagles; and we were given our best trail magic of all when we discovered a case of Budweiser with Aqua Blaze on it.
I think anyone with the mentality that they have to hike every step shouldn't bother with Aqua Blaze and should stick to the crowded park and being looked at as a novelty. But if your hike is like ours, meant to be an adventure, a personal journey, then you should spend some time on the river. It's a great break from the trail filled days of hiking from one shelter to the next and talking with everyone about how many miles you did and who was where. Seriously...take breaks from the trail. Visit family, go to local colleges, hitch into towns off the trail, go into NYC, visit DC. These are all great things to do b/c you have a different perspective from the AT, and b/c the "world of the AT" can get old some days. There's plenty of time.

Camel2012
11-14-2012, 04:20
[QUOTE=Horsa;1306608]

If your only hiking to get a patch, you're on the trail for the wrong reason in my opinion. It's all about each individuals experience. If this adds to your experience, don't listen to the negative comments, and do what makes your trip three best for you.
Hike and paddle your own hike!

miami
12-03-2012, 18:57
I guess, since I originally posted this thread, I should take some responsibility here.....

After having completed my "thru-hike" of the AT this year, I am shocked to see such marginalizing commentary directed towards the Aquablaze, those who support hikers Aquablazing, and the Aquablazers themselves. For a community that prides itself on not being judgemental and miopic, I am ashamed for some of your responses. We are all AT hikers.... let's act like it.

First, let me say that I ended up aquablazing from the park in Waynesboro town all the way to the ATC in Harpers Ferry.... 168 miles of trecherous white water rapids, shallow water drags, dam portages, limited/ risky camping and endless flatwater navigated with nothing but an outdated fishing guide, a 20 year old Craigslist kayak w no seatback, zero kayaking experience and arms that had not seen serious exercise in months.

Compare that to the 110 miles of nearly flat white-blazed trail through SNP that I "skipped". Reasons most of my friends enjoyed SNP: "It was SOOO Flat", "There were Lots of Bears" (due to high volume and poor outdoorsmanship of day-hikers/ weekenders), "There was all sorts of great Trail Magic" (generally due to the same) and "You hardly needed to carry any food" / "You could eat dinner off-trail every night", as there was regular access to off-trail facilities, such as restaurants. I can't confirm any of these rumors, as I didn't hike that section yet.... but it sounds pretty "skippable" to me (though I'm sure I will go back and do it within the year bc I do, in fact, want to have hiked the whole AT).

Secondly.... let me just throw it out there... I met COUNTLESS thru-hikers... strangers, as well as friends of mine... the same friends who hiked SNP... who did not hike the "entire" trail. Instead, they hung out in town while their friends slackpacked a section. Or they skipped a section entirely by shuttling. Yet most, if not all, of these friends of mine are applying for their 2000 miler patch. This is something that I think we can all agree is maybe a little bit of "cheating". And it happens far more often than there are people that complete the entire Aquablaze each year. Just sayin..... Seems like people forget that they probably missed a blaze or two here or there...

Lastly... is Aquablazing really "cheating" on a thru-hike? Yes and no. Personally, having not been the one to sit around in a town while others hiked miles for me but, rather, being the guy that goes back to the Trail the same way I came into a shelter even though there is a shorter route that everyone else takes, I have to say, NO, its not cheating. I truely believe it is in keeping with the "spirit of the Trail" and, more importantly, the spirit of adventure. I think any true outdoorsman would say that the Aquablaze does nothing but add to the experience.

However, there are, of course, those out there that would have you believe otherwise: Purist white blazers, idealistic section hikers, lawyers, statisticians, and certain figurehead organizations just to name a few. And, in fact, for all the rumors I've heard to the contrary, it seems that they have point. The ATC refuses to publish their official acknowledgement of the Aquablaze as an alternative thru-hike route.... HOWEVER, they will register a hiker under the category of "thru-hiker" at the Harpers Ferry ATC center and take their picture for the book, along with Flip-Floppers, as a special category of "other thru-hike", rather than "NOBO" or "SOBO". From what I understand, they used to turn people away entirely, denying "thru-hiker" status all together, if you had not walked all the way to Harpers Ferry. And, yet, there is still nothing official on any website that would indicate this change in policy. Am I registered as a thru-hiker? Yes. Did I tell the guy at the ATC that I got there via an Aquablaze? Yes. Was my picture taken in my swim trunks, still wet with the river??? YES!!! Did the guy at the desk personally agree with this policy? No. And he made it pretty clear to anyone that inquired... but he registered me and took my picture anyway... Hmmmm...

The ATC 2000 miler patch. Some would say that it denotes exactly what it says: You've hiked 2000 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Anyone who has completed the Aquablaze, and still faithfully completed the rest of the trail, will have still hiked 2000 miles of the Apppalachian Trail. Some would say that, if you traveled from Springer to Katahdin by your own muscle power, you deserve it (afterall, the Trail changes every year... For instance, Earl Shaffer's original "AT thru-hike" was hiked, in large part, on roads). Some say they will hike the whole trail, blaze by blaze, and not register for the patch. Some put a great deal of weight behind the "rules" that would allow you to "legitimately" register for it. Some would say the patch should just say "Georgia <---> Maine" because this would, in fact, be more accurate than "2000 miler", as the Trail is now almost 200 miles longer than 2000 miles, and more representative of the spirit of the Trail, as it would allow for a broader interpretation of the AT journey.

I think we can all agree that the Appalachian Trail experience is different for each and every person. It is not simply defined by white blazes. Do I think doing the Aquablaze makes anyone less of an AT hiker? Absolutely not... In fact, I think it makes someone MORE than just an AT hiker.

Do I think it defys the "rules".... eh, maybe.... but isn't that what we're all out here doing? And, afterall, the letter of the law can be changed if enough people believe it does not encompass the spirit of the community. Seems to me that the purists are in the minority by the time everyone gets to Katahdin.

I, for one, support the AT Aquablaze and commend anyone brave enough to tackle the whole thing.

And for those who would call Aquablazers "pussies" or "no better than yellow-blazers"... I dare you. Paddle 168 miles while I ride the same distance in a car. Please tell me it was the same thing after you've paddled the whole distance. I double dare you. Comments like these are simply laughable... except that you make all AT hikers appear foolish, which, unfortunately, is not so funny.

miami
12-03-2012, 19:13
http://pathfollower.blogspot.com/2012/04/at-in-shenandoah-np-41212.html

Apparently my thru-hiker friends were not the only ones to think that the AT through the SNP was "boring" with "nothing memorable". This author goes as far as to say that "The only reason to hike the SNP section of the AT, if you're not a thru-hiker, is to say that you did". Yipes.

WingedMonkey
12-03-2012, 20:12
You sure use a lot of words to justify skipping what "others call boring trail".

If an ATC defined thru-hike and an ATC defined 2,000 miler are unimportant to you why all the fuss?

Just say you had a nice hike (and canoe ride).

Skyline
12-03-2012, 20:31
Miami,

You need to do some homework, instead of being indignant. You claim ATC's recognition of the aquablaze is not on a website. Of course it's not. They don't recognize that kind of diversion as a substitute for hiking the actual AT (if you're applying to ATC for official recognition that you did the real trail).

But what does constitute a real and complete hike of the entire AT? Well, ATC does provide that information right on its own website. Took me about 90 seconds to search for it and find it. Homework done.

The fact that others "cheat," as you label it, does not mean subbing the Shenandoah River is the same thing as hiking the AT. Even if it's a lot harder. Even if it provides a more interesting, diverse experience. There are no white blazes on the Shenandoah River, which is many miles from most of the AT in SNP and Northern VA. (And let's acknowledge you're correct that some hikers skip other sections but apply to ATC anyway. They're not honoring ATC's expectations either.)

Like I (and others) have written in this thread and others, it's only important if you're going to claim (by applying to ATC) to have done the entire AT but did not. If you don't intend to apply for the recognition (certificate, patch, publication of your name in AT Journeys) it is irrelevant if you sub a river for a footpath. HYOH.

In your post above,you did some arithmetic justifying the aquablaze for "2000-miler" recognition because missing those miles still leaves just over 2000 AT miles you could have actually done. You imply it's called "2000-miler," after all. Do some more homework. Follow the link below and actually download ATC's application. You'll get a better overview of how the term "2000 miler" came to be, and how it is applied today. Your attempt at justification is simply wrong.

SO...here is what the ATC expectations are for those who sign the application for recognition of completing the entire Appalachian Trail. It is all about the honor system, and being honorable. IMHO, and many others agree, signing an application that you have done something you have in fact not done--is not honorable. You will note that exceptions are made for extreme emergencies and life-threatening conditions. Sorry, but boredom is not an emergency....

2000 Miler Application

Section-hikers and thru-hikers who complete the A.T. can report their journey to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy by filling out the Appalachian Trail 2,000-Miler Application. Hikers who report their hike of the entire Trail will be added to our roster of 2,000-milers, and will receive a certificate of recognition and a 2,000-miler rocker and an A.T. patch. Also, each year's 2,000-miler roster is published in the March/April issue of A.T. Journeys magazine. In order to be included in the magazine, 2000-miler applications must be sent to ATC by December 31st.

Recognition Policy

We give equal recognition to thru-hikers and section-hikers
In the event of a trail closure or a safety hazard (such as a swollen stream, a forest fire, or an impending storm on an exposed ridge) hikers may take alternate routes (including by vehicle) and still receive official 2,000-miler recognition.
We operate on the honor system
We recognize hikers regardless of sequence, direction, speed, or whether they carry a pack

This statement is on ATC's website; here's the link:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-miler-application

Miami, in your post above you indicate you want to go back and hike the large section you missed by aquablazing. Once you do that--whenever you do that--you will have met ATC's expectations for official recognition. Ditto any other sections you may have skipped. And that would be...honorable.

miami
12-07-2012, 05:52
I'm not trying to justify anything. Just pointing out some of the counterpoints I have come across as I've hiked over 2000 miles this year (not incl SNP) and as I take a brief look at the internet.

The technicalities are obvious. However, rumor does abound on the Trail. There is no point, IMO, in twisting the knife for so many who honestly enjoyed their time on the river. There is no honor in that.

And, as I stated previously, I do intend on going back to hike the SNP section. Possibly in time to qualify as having done it within 1 calandar year. I'm just hiking my own hike. Quit judging me and others.

Again, a little shocked at y'alls reactions.

miami
12-07-2012, 06:01
The old addage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, perhaps you should keep it to yourself" may apply here.

The thread was MY request for information related to the Aquablaze for the benefit of anyone who chose to do it after me. Unfortunately, no useful information ever came of it.

What the thread turned into is a discussion over how it does not allow someone to qualify for the 2000 miler patch. Frankly, that is just bashing. If you're truly about "hiking your own hike", you would accept someone's decision, whether you agree with it or not, and help them to the best of your ability. Or do nothing. But the whole bashing thing is the reason I don't come back to Whiteblaze. Its a shame you have to ruin this site for certain people.

miami
12-07-2012, 06:34
....And one more thing.... I hiked 100% of the Trail with Gortex footware. And I LIKED IT!!! :-p

Take everything these ol' time Whiteblazer's say with a big ol' grain of salt. Anyone with over a couple hundred posts has spent more time at their desk than they have been hiking (cheap shot... I know...).

HYOH. Peace, Love, and Light.

Skyline
12-07-2012, 11:08
Miami,

Bashing? Seriously? Just pointing out that when you portray a diversion from the AT for 150+ miles as the same thing as actually hiking the AT, for purposes of obtaining official recognition for hiking the actual, entire AT from the very organization charged with overseeing the development/preservation/improvement of the AT--that you're wrong. But you're certainly not alone.

The ATC has the right to set its own criteria for what it expects from hikers who want their recognition. If a hiker doesn't want that recognition, it's all irrelevant. But applying for recognition for something one didn't actually do is not honorable.

Miami, hope you enjoy finishing the Trail as winter dawns, if that's what you plan to do. SNP is a very different place in the winter. Very little (if any) traffic on Skyline Drive. Zero commercial establishments or campgrounds open. Trail maintenance is sometimes postponed until Spring. Only a skeleton Park staff on duty. You're on your own sort of like you would be in the Hundred Mile Wilderness (tho there are better bailout opportunities if you need to). But it can be a beautiful winter hike if you're prepared for it. Between the northern Park boundary and Harpers Ferry--not the same but it has a few good points too. Let us all know how you make out.

Of course, you don't have to do this in early winter 2012. ATC makes no differentiation between those who do it all in the same year vs. those who take multiple years. It's the same patch, certificate, and publication in AT Journeys. Though to be...wait for it...honorable...that publication should take place after you finish the Trail, shouldn't it?

miami
01-07-2013, 20:46
First, I'm not the one that started with the bashing (Bamboo Bob on page 1 with the "pussies" comment, as well as a few other subsequently).... and, at least I admitted to my "keyboard commando" comment up front as a "cheap shot". And that's exactly what you guys are doing in this thread.... taking cheap shots at Aquablazers. Bottomline: This thread was for information on the Aquablaze... NOT an opportunity for bashing and post whoring. It only has to be stated once that the ATC does not officially recognize the Aquablaze as a part of the AT for the purposes of the 2000 miler patch. I haven't contended that fact. In fact, I've openly agreed to it. I'm neither right nor wrong in my commentary. Again, I am merely presenting some widely held OPINIONS, primarily other folks' opinions, I've run across during my 2000+ mile hike, as well as my personal experience on the River.

miami
01-07-2013, 21:00
Secondly, I did not yet register for the 2000 miler patch. Where did I say that I had? You will not see my name on the 2012 list as a result. Bummer... but I, unlike many folks out there, intend on passing each and every white blaze (as much as humanly possible... I mean, I know I've missed a few...) before registering for my 2000 miler patch.

miami
01-07-2013, 21:08
Third, there is some additional honor (though not "officially" recognized) of hiking the whole Trail in under one calendar year. Most people would define "thru-hiking" as hiking the full length of the Trail in under one calendar year. I even re-hiked all the sections I had already hiked in order to achieve this additional honor.

miami
01-07-2013, 21:16
Fourth, and most importantly, I will be heading back to the SNP in roughly 5 days to complete that section on foot with a couple SOBO friends of mine. Not so anyone on here has to recognize me... and not so that the ATC has to recognize me. The plan has always been to do it this way.... for myself. I'd much rather do that section when it isn't crawling with tourists and whatnot. Here's to hoping for good weather!

miami
01-07-2013, 21:21
Now, with that all being said, are there any 2012'ers.... or anyone for that matter... who would like to make some $$$$$$ driving me from Waynesboro up to Harpers around 1/11/13? Please PM me ASAP!!!

Skyline
01-08-2013, 11:32
Now, with that all being said, are there any 2012'ers.... or anyone for that matter... who would like to make some $$$$$$ driving me from Waynesboro up to Harpers around 1/11/13? Please PM me ASAP!!!

Miami,

If we were still in the shuttle business I'd raise my hand, but it will be hard to do from the Delaware coast. That's where I live most of the time now.

Once you complete your Rockfish>HF missing section, you will indeed be complete with regards to ATC's expectations and if you want to you should apply for their recognition. If you have not yet done so because you have that missing hole, you are to be commended.

Best wishes. I think the weather may be great (at least for January), temperature-wise, at the beginning of your hike but may turn wintry again a few days in. You can track SNP weather at: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Shenandoah+Natl+Park+VA+USVA0704?from=36hr_fcst10D ayLink_ski

JAK
01-27-2013, 23:37
I think Irish may have been directing that comment at me. It's true, I own a business that is all about aquablazing, but it's not true that I try to pump it up to make money. I still have half a dozen boats to repair before I put them up for the winter, and I've made less than $300 profit from aquablazing this year. It's a business in the legal sense, but it's a labor of love, not a financially wise use of my time. I do it because I like hikers. Preachy Whiteblazers, not so much...

Like Brian said, some people aquablaze and then immediately return to start hiking where they left the trail.Very cool way to do it and as the boats need to go back anyway may as well hitch the ride.

On a different note, or rather taking the thread in the opposite direction, literally...
What sections of the Shenandoah can be paddled SOBO with water levels under 5 feet?
What percentage of the time are water levels above 5 feet in March and April?