PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiking and National Guard Duty?

tanichols
04-13-2005, 14:06
Has anyone ever did a Thru-Hike while being a member of a National Guard/Reserve Unit?

If so how did you manage? Just wondering.

Of course if you're deployed overseas it wouldn't be manageable, but I'm talking about a unit which hasn't been activated and is only having monthly drills and 2 weeks of summer training.

I can see it as a real pain for some, but I think these days they are signing 8 year contracts where your last 2 years you aren't required to show up for training/drills but are on a "backup" list in case the sky falls.

I'm not currently in the military but wonder how people that are have done it.

tlbj6142
04-13-2005, 16:44
Transportation to/from the trail would be the biggest issue. Plenty of folks take a week off to go to a wedding, etc. So, hiking with planned time off isn't something new.

But having to take 3 days off every month, plus 2 weeks, does make for a logistical nightmare of sorts. Where there is a will, there's a way.

SGT Rock
04-13-2005, 17:43
You may be able to work it out with your NG unit commander by working man-days (I think that was the term) before and after the hike to make up for missed drills.

hawkeye
04-13-2005, 20:49
One of our pilots did the AT a few years ago by going ING for a year(inative National Guard) Ask your Training NCO about ING. Also Rosk is right about Man-days. Depends on how long a break they will give you.

oruoja
04-16-2005, 12:43
Once your already in you might be able to go on IRR (Individul Ready Reserve) status which can can be authorized for up to one year. I don't think any commanders would approve this for hiking purposes during the current operations tempo. I know people who have done it for reasons of hardship, medical, and special employment circumstances. I would not count on enlisting and seeking this break in service during your first enlistment. However, you might be able to reschedule a weekend drill or two in what is called split train option so you could possibly have 60 to 90 days of hiking time. Despit the current manning situation the national guard tends to be very accomadating to keep people on board.

bogey
04-16-2005, 20:45
IRR, from my experience CAN be a one way street out. Better course from my experience is (as suggested above) to talk to your unit, explain the reasons, and work out rescheduled drills to be accomplished before you go.

At one time re-scheduled drills, or reskeds, were limited either by congress, or law or by service or something, to 4 per year. very self-limiting.

I'm an Individual Mobilization Augmentee in the Air Force Reserve, and we've had people out of country for extended periods, and it's all pretty cool as long as folks at your unit know your circumstances, and and that you're not just blowing it off for some election campaign stuff.

No ! wait, that's what President Bush was accused of.

My point is that even in that instance, if he had discussed it with his commander, and arrangements were made beforehand, it could have been perfectly acceptable for a/the member to miss drills for 4 or 5 months.

Don't want to scare away any potential recruits, i've been in reserve mode for over 26 years, (ok, granted, a lot of it on active duty), but I truly feel it can be the best of both worlds.

YMMV, HYOH, close-cover-before-striking school of medicine.

Sly
04-16-2005, 21:02
.... we've had people out of country for extended periods, and it's all pretty cool as long as folks at your unit know your circumstances, and and that you're not just blowing it off for some election campaign stuff.

No ! wait, that's what President Bush was accused of.

My point is that even in that instance, if he had discussed it with his commander, and arrangements were made beforehand, it could have been perfectly acceptable for a/the member to miss drills for 4 or 5 months.

clear as mud, isn't it?

Clear as crystal! :p

nitewalker
11-24-2011, 09:37
my son left monday for fort jackson south carolina as a proud trainee of the army national guard. he was pretty excited to go. its pretty amazing how a parent may think be4 a child leaves but when they actually go, BAM life has just changed dramatically. it took a couple of days to mentally accept it. i know he will be safe, i know he will prosper, i know he will have 2nd thoughts but most of all i know he will become a top notch soldier and person..when he gets back sometime around april/may we plan on doing a hike somewhere down on the southern AT. i may go back to springer for the 3rd time...look how young, 18 yrs old....

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/386068_320123668001463_100000114963487_1434829_572 086316_n.jpg