PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail US Postage Stamp

vamelungeon
06-04-2012, 20:25
I've been a stamp collector since my aunt, a postmaster, gave me an album and some stamps when I was a kid. Another Whiteblazer sent me a PM about stamp collecting. I can't believe the USPS has never issued a postage stamp honoring the AT! Especially considering some of the trivial things they have chosen as subjects for stamps in the last 20 years or so. I'm a ham radio operator and there was a ham radio stamp issued in the 60's. As far as I know, there has never been a hiking or camping stamp issued! There are a LOT more campers than hams. I don't know what the process is for getting a stamp issued, and of course with wars and starving children there are more serious subjects in the world, but I would personally like to see an AT stamp, a hiking stamp and a camping stamp. Any other stamp collectors have comments?

johnnybgood
06-04-2012, 20:43
While I'm not a stamp collector , a commemorative stamp marking the 75th anniversary of the AT would've been nice.

coach lou
06-04-2012, 21:16
I did go thru my books, but i've been so occupied with bells and poles that I forgot. US postage has 2 National park series, 1934 & 1972. John Muir, and Henry david Thoreau. Camp Fire Girls, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts 3 times. Lewis & Clark. Just about the entire free world celebrated the scouting jubilee of 1967, and most of the Arab world. But alas, no Appalachian Trail. I went to the HQ in Harpers Ferry years ago and got a sheet of stamps that are the old diamond AT sign, I guess to be used like easter seals on the back of letters. naturally I have not used them and they are in my sheet book. I will scan them and post in my gallery.
The first section of the Trail was built in New York in 1922, so 2022 commemorative would be possible, it would take the USPS that long to work it out..........so long as there still is a USPS by then.

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 21:32
I am not a stamp collector,but rather a Mineral collector,and have a fist day Issue of a set of 4 minerals that came out about maybe 15 years ago.But as many have,I collected as a kid.My collection was started when my uncle worked in Egypt,and would send letters back to the states,and on the way through would toss me some foreign monies.I had all but forgotten this,and would support an AT stamp set,futile as it may be.

GrayBear
06-05-2012, 16:25
I like it. 73 W5JF

coach lou
06-05-2012, 17:34
I like it. 73 W5JF

????????????

WIAPilot
06-05-2012, 18:56
????????????

I think his ham radio callsign and frequency?

atmilkman
06-05-2012, 19:13
I like it. 73 W5JF
I like it too. KU4UK

vamelungeon
06-05-2012, 20:32
Me too. N4AUD

coach lou
06-05-2012, 20:48
????????????

Ohhhhhhh, duel hobby thread!

AtomicLlama
06-07-2012, 15:02
????????????

"73" is ham jargon for "best regards", used at the end of a contact with another ham.

73 DE KC0OYU

Spokes
06-07-2012, 15:46
So the questions are-
How does one go about requesting a commemorative stamp be issued? Petition your Representative or Senator?

Has the ATC ever considered this as a lobbying effort?

Should we start an all out social media assault, start a Facebook page, get picked up by CNN, and go viral with the idea?

I'm gonna grab another single malt and think on it a while.......

coach lou
06-07-2012, 15:57
"73" is ham jargon for "best regards", used at the end of a contact with another ham.

73 DE KC0OYU

I'm catchin' on, lol, I'm good! And when Spokes is done thinkin it over and doing that research, we can start to get that AT stamp in the works. Maybe get Wolfie to be the honorary Postmaster for the First Day Issue!

Odd Man Out
06-07-2012, 16:05
So the questions are-
How does one go about requesting a commemorative stamp be issued? Petition your Representative or Senator?

Has the ATC ever considered this as a lobbying effort?

Should we start an all out social media assault, start a Facebook page, get picked up by CNN, and go viral with the idea?

I'm gonna grab another single malt and think on it a while.......

Good idea. I'm drinking Talisker.

Spokes
06-07-2012, 16:17
Funny....... Me too!!