PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size (or brand) Suggestions?

riverine17
06-04-2012, 21:13
Hello everyone,

Brand new to the site here, and loving all the useful information. Im pretty new to civilian multi-day hiking, in fact, my first trip with my wife is coming up in July. I have been on several multi-week "hikes" while in the USMC as an 0311 but never spent more than a few nights camping near my car in the civilian world.

Me and my wife will be hiking the Picture Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan, I am asking the help of the experts on here for suggestions on pack brand or size. I own a Marmot Twilight 2 person tent (gift from a friend) and will be purchasing some lightweight sleeping bags soon. She has a Teton 45L bag (another gift) and I dont really want her carrying much weight, therefore I will be carrying most of it, including my tent and what not. We plan on multi-day hiking at least 2-4 times a year, and I want a pack thats comfortable and durable....

Any suggestions? What size would be ideal? What brands are better? Im looking to spend under $200...

Furthermore, any suggestions on "essentials" for our trip? I am used to the survival essentials, IE map, compass, first aid, lighter ect. ect.... but what about for our trip? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

JoshL
06-04-2012, 22:40
I have found a lot of people here like the ULA Circuit http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp but it is just slightly over your price range. For other brands I like Osprey and Gregory, and you can probably find something nice under 200 from either of those companies depending on what size you are looking for. The best way to pick a pack is to get properly sized and try them on as every person is different. REI is pretty helpful for this if you have one near you. As far as other essentials, some sort of sleeping pad is incredibly important in addition to a sleeping bag if you are planning on tent camping. Thermarest and Exped make some nice ones depending on what you want. If you use the foam ones don't be afraid to double up and use 2. Personally I love having a camelback for water and I would never go on a hike without it; it keeps hydration simple and it is much easier than trying to use bottles, although there are plenty of people who get by just fine without them. Other than that some sort of water treatment or filtration will be necessary for any extended trip, and opinions vary on what is best, and it largely seems like a personal decision.

JoshL
06-04-2012, 22:46
I should also mention in regards to weight distribution, don't be afraid to have your wife carry something. When I first went hiking with my girlfriend I carried nearly everything and she just wore a super light day pack. She was constantly ahead of me and I was sweating trying to keep up. If you want to carry more that is certainly fine but I think you will both enjoy the hike more if you share the load and keep a similar pace. There is a dramatic difference between someone hiking with 30+ pounds and someone hiking with ~10-15 pounds regardless of gender, so assuming that she is physically capable of carrying more and is up to the idea I would certainly encourage dividing things up more evenly.

Feral Bill
06-04-2012, 22:56
Pack fit is very personal. If there is an outfitter near you see them to try on packs in person. Otherwise, order from REI, LLBean, or others who will let you return a pack if it doesn't work for you, even after use in the field.

leaftye
06-04-2012, 23:44
Buy your pack last.

riverine17
06-05-2012, 00:27
If it helps any, Im 6'2" and 185lbs...

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 00:43
There are outfitters that also will rent packs so you can try them before you buy,you may even be able to work a deal where by they'll not charge you for the rental if in fact you buy a pack from them,doesn't hurt to ask,check with a store manager for somethin like that.Also check out the home page here,Lotta good reading there on gear and stuff,and then if you form a specific question,many members with experience on particular piece of gear gear may weigh in,and that could prove more fruitful.If your going to be carring a lot of weight as you said,you may not want to go with a light weight pack that is designed to carry a much lighter load,so when shopping look for recomended Max.pack weights,most all of the good pack makers will provide this information,if not,keep looking.

:welcometo White Blaze

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 07:34
Can you get to an REI and try on some packs? My first guess is that the REI Flash 65 pack will fit your criteria. It should be large enough to carry what you need, it's well made and comfortable, and the cost is reasonable. (And really, if your gear doesn't fit in 65 liters, you are taking too much stuff.) Pack fit is a big deal, and very personal, and best accomplished in person at an outfitter. Other brands to look for are Gregory and Osprey. ULA packs are popular on the AT, but they are mostly mail order and it's tough to recommend one without knowing all the gear you are taking.

Other gear: you need to sleep (tent, sleeping bag, pad), eat (stove, pot, spoons, water bottles and treatment), and protect your body (hiking and camp clothing.) The basics aren't much different from your military service, though you won't need to hump all that ammo. The little stuff is similar, too -- nav gear, first aid kit, etc. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you my Excel spreadsheet that lists everything.

Your lovely wife will want to carry her own clothing and sleeping bag/pad, plus her personal items. This should weigh no more than 15 pounds total in her pack, which should be fine. You can carry the tent and food, which will be the heaviest items. If the posts on WB are any indication, most women sleep colder than most men -- she'll need a decent sleeping bag, some synthetic long johns, and nice thick wool socks to sleep in. Don't forget chocolate and maybe some red wine, if appropriate.

Have fun!

Saprogenic
06-05-2012, 15:37
Gregory makes some tough packs. I love mine. Also, lighters are nice, but they do fail easily. I tend to stick with a firesteel and and magnesium bar or cotton balls for tinder(don't like the ferrocium bar on the mag bars personally). http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Firesteel-Model-Black-Handle/dp/B0013L2DKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338924965&sr=8-1

riverine17
06-05-2012, 16:35
Thanks everybody for your input, I'm going to be heading to the local REI to try on some different packs, I will buy online though as it is much cheaper.... Thanks again for the input!

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 18:11
I'm going to be heading to the local REI to try on some different packs, I will buy online though as it is much cheaper....

So you're going to spend several hours at a shop that has the packs in stock, getting help from the salesperson, getting measured with a fitting device, walking around with the packs to decide which is best, then you'll say thanks very much, and go home and order it online to save twenty bucks? Really? Nice.

riverine17
06-05-2012, 19:35
So you're going to spend several hours at a shop that has the packs in stock, getting help from the salesperson, getting measured with a fitting device, walking around with the packs to decide which is best, then you'll say thanks very much, and go home and order it online to save twenty bucks?

Yup, minus the several hours part.

leaftye
06-05-2012, 20:20
And folks wonder why gear shops don't bother hiring sales people that know anything about the gear.

Slosteppin
06-06-2012, 20:50
Thanks everybody for your input, I'm going to be heading to the local REI to try on some different packs, I will buy online though as it is much cheaper.... Thanks again for the input!

When you get to REI make sure your saleperson is a backpacker. There is usually at least one knowledgeable backpacker on staff. You don't want a road bike racer giving you advice about backpacking.

Pictured Rocks was my first backpacking about 35 years ago. I started out with a 75 pound pack weight. Now I could do the same hike with 25 to 30 lb.

Regarding packs, first get the right size for your body. Then load it with about 10 lb more weight than you expect to carry. Then, after the knowledgeable salesperson helps to get it properly adjusted, hike around the store for an hour including up and down some stairs. There are some hills at Pictured Rocks. When you find a pack that is still comfortable you should be happy to hike with it.

Bucketfoot
06-06-2012, 21:17
Nothing is better than seeing and trying out an item in a store, not to mention the good and knowledgeable advice you can get. I would also buy there. Reminds me of the people who buy motorcycle tires online and then take them to their local dealer and expect him to mount them. Nice that the dealer is there but he won't be there long if people don't buy from him.

dornstar
06-06-2012, 21:23
Honestly, I really don't think there's a better pack than the ULA Circuit although it's slightly higher than you limit at $225.

jelloitsalive
06-06-2012, 22:33
U.S Army A.L.I.C.E Pack is all you need. I perfer the Medium pack even if you fill it, the straps will alow much more outside storage. Its light weight heavy duty been serving the military sine Vietnam. You can get a brand new one for around $60 Used $30 I got mine off Ebay just make sure get the Curved shoulder strap and not the Straight.

There is also a U.S Army CF-90 but it is Heavy for long distance hiking. But still a very intresting pack.

coach lou
06-06-2012, 22:57
MY USMC, All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment pack gets used for 3days!

Bucho
06-08-2012, 16:54
[QUOTE=Slosteppin;1296781]When you get to REI make sure your saleperson is a backpacker. There is usually at least one knowledgeable backpacker on staff. You don't want a road bike racer giving you advice about backpacking.
QUOTE]
OMGZ Brown Chickens rei flash kicked the bucket and we went to two different REI's in DC to find her a pack. The first employee who "knew" about backpacking kept showing her nearly 4 lbs packs even after the 3rd time I asked her "around 2lbs, absolutely nothing over 3lbs". A different REI and 3 employees later we gave up on help and used their little handout on packs.

cavediver256
06-09-2012, 18:54
Nothing is better than seeing and trying out an item in a store, not to mention the good and knowledgeable advice you can get. I would also buy there. Reminds me of the people who buy motorcycle tires online and then take them to their local dealer and expect him to mount them. Nice that the dealer is there but he won't be there long if people don't buy from him.

Same thing applies to lots of equipment this day and time....nothing ticks me off more than to have someone buy their diving equipment on line and then drag it into the shop for service......and expect you to "cut them a deal" on the service charges. You're buying more than a piece of equipment when you buy from a local shop.

leaftye
06-09-2012, 19:33

That's totally different though. The motorcycle shop actually gets paid for mounting the tires. The salesman showing this guy some packs and how to fit them is being tricked into working for nothing instead of a potential customer.

10-K
06-09-2012, 19:52

Ok... perfect timing because I just ran into this exact scenario a few weeks ago.

I bought a 2009 KLR 650 and it needed tires. I researched tires and read reviews for a few days and called my local dealer to see about getting them.

The only brand of tires they stocked (IRC and Dunlop) had gotten lukewarm reviews and I knew I didn't want them. I asked the parts guy if he could order the tires I wanted (Avon Gripsters). He quoted me a price that was $123 higher than I could buy them for online. I told him what I could get them for and asked if he could get close and he said, "No way, I can't even order them for what you're quoting."

So I asked him if I bought the tires (that I wanted, that he did not have and could not get at an even close to competitive price) would the service department mount them.

He said yes, but they charged double the normal rate if I didn't buy the tires from the shop.

I said thanks and took my tires to an independent bike shop and had them mounted for 60% less than the dealer wanted to charge me for mounting them.

Not only did they not get my parts business, they also did not get my service business. I guess they showed me....

I will never understand that kind of business mentality. I could almost get it if I bought tires they stocked online but these were tires they couldn't even get at anywhere near a competitive price and I knew what they sold and didn't want those tires.

(sorry for the thread drift.. this was just fresh on my mind.)

kayak karl
06-09-2012, 21:12
buy pack last was best advise..

your gear:
make a tall rectangular cardboard box 12"-12"-36" (or any size if you can do the math)
fill box with gear (add a bag of food to simulate volume and 12-15 lb weight)
measure height of gear in inches and multiply by 144. (this is your cubic inches of gear) ex. 24' deep=3456 cu.in.
weight box (this is your gear weight minus pack weight)
if your gear fills box and you still have more left over, your pack selection is not your immediate problem :)

measure torso the place WTB post....example. Wanted: 2-3 lb, size large, 3500 cu.in. pack, to carry 30 lbs for about $50.

have fun
kk

kayak karl
06-09-2012, 21:17
i bought this pack (http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/backpacks-and-pack-covers/katahdin-ultralite-pack.cfm) on sale for $75. carries well and has a padded belt. i only carried 25lb in it so don't know how it carries with more.

hikerboy57
06-09-2012, 21:36
That's totally different though. The motorcycle shop actually gets paid for mounting the tires. The salesman showing this guy some packs and how to fit them is being tricked into working for nothing instead of a potential customer.

Not necessarily.he may remember the salesmans help and even if he buys that itemfrom somewhere else hes still a potential customer.this is what i teach my guys at work.that salesman may make a lot of money from that same customer down the road,just because of his help that day

Wags
06-11-2012, 00:41
buy the ula circuit or the ohm v2. you'll be very happy with that purchase...

Bucho
06-11-2012, 23:46
buy the ula circuit or the ohm v2. you'll be very happy with that purchase...

That's not necessarily true. It really depends on how much junk she wants to bring. I really like Kayak Karls cardboard box advice.

Bucho
06-12-2012, 00:10
The salesman showing this guy some packs and how to fit them is being tricked into working for nothing instead of a potential customer.

Do the salespeople at REI get commission?

skinewmexico
06-12-2012, 01:06
I'd buy from REI, because they rarely stock anything made in the USA. And the more stuff we can buy from Asia, the better off we are as Americans.

Oh wait, did my "facetious" font not turn on?

Feral Bill
06-12-2012, 01:36
Do the salespeople at REI get commission? No.................................

Wags
06-12-2012, 08:50
yeah but the problem w/ kk's idea of buying the pack last is that sometimes people tend to gather more stuff than they need to actually take. does that make sense? i'm advocating buying your pack and then making your gear fit the pack...

coach lou
06-12-2012, 09:07
yeah but the problem w/ kk's idea of buying the pack last is that sometimes people tend to gather more stuff than they need to actually take. does that make sense? i'm advocating buying your pack and then making your gear fit the pack...

I can't say either is right or wrong. I have many different packs for many tasks, I have 3 just for packing, and if ALICE had a lighter frame I'd use it all the time in summer. I do think KK is correct in searching for used to start out, a few hundred miles down the trail you may find out you don't like this pastime!

kayak karl
06-12-2012, 09:48
the OP stated he owns his gear. buying a pack for july too small would not help. he is also sharing gear. the logic of buying pack first just forces people to spent too much money upfront for something they may not like. get the gear out of the attic, put it in a giant pack and get out in the woods. you will learn more in 3 days then 3 years behind the keyboard. :)

ps. ULA packs are not for everybody.

Ladytrekker
06-12-2012, 10:25
I had a Osprey and then bought a ULA Circuit wanting to lighten up. Sold the Osprey don't think I would use another pack. However, I have friends with Golites which are light and very reasonable in price and they like them. The Golite website often has them for sale. I also use a Montbell 15 degree super spiral down bag. I have purchased less than adequate equipment and then had to upgrade cost me extra money I did not need to spend. But I tend to get cold at night and I wanted something that packed small and light.

Turk6177
06-12-2012, 10:47
I just got a ULA Catalyst. I have taken it on a couple shake down hikes and really like it. I don't think the Circuit would have been big enough in capacity for me. I was switching from a Jansport Tundra 80 which weighed almost as much empty as my Catalyst does now full.

riverine17
06-12-2012, 16:43
Well this post kind of trailed off into another subject but I thank everyone for your input. I went to my local REI and the saleswoman I spoke with admitted to not knowing very much about packs, she even had a tough time figuring out how to utilize the “pack sizing measuring thingy” but we figured it out together. I eventually settled on the Osprey Aether 60, because it wasn’t too big yet not too small for what I will need it for.

I was getting “blasted” on here for my decision to buy online as opposed to in store, well the saleswoman certainly didn’t help me any in my decision and other than being polite and informing me that they didn’t have the Aether in any other colors (in store), she didn’t really do much at all to help me or provide any useful information. I wanted the natural colored green as opposed to the “HEY IM RIGHT HERE” orange and since they didn’t have it available in store anyways it furthered my decision to buy from another dealer online, I ended up saving $60 on the pack anyways. So I feel no shame in my decision, thanks again for the input!

Heyoka
06-15-2012, 23:37
I think we should ask one of the really poor people in bangladesh that sit at sewing machines and make outdoors stuff what she thinks of the ethics of buying online but shopping locally. Diversity of views and such...Sorry to be a douche but any time I take any time to think about ethics I feel like eating a bullet from despair.

dornstar
06-21-2012, 04:28
the OP stated he owns his gear. buying a pack for july too small would not help. he is also sharing gear. the logic of buying pack first just forces people to spent too much money upfront for something they may not like. get the gear out of the attic, put it in a giant pack and get out in the woods. you will learn more in 3 days then 3 years behind the keyboard. :)

ps. ULA packs are not for everybody.
Just for the sake of discussion, I feel opposite. I prefer to buy the smallest pack that will get the job done and then gear to fit that pack. Tends to force me into making the tough choices that we all struggle with and cuts down on the weight.

And no more blasphemous talk. ULA packs are PERFECT. :)

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 06:50
Well this post kind of trailed off into another subject but I thank everyone for your input. I went to my local REI and the saleswoman I spoke with admitted to not knowing very much about packs, she even had a tough time figuring out how to utilize the “pack sizing measuring thingy” but we figured it out together. I eventually settled on the Osprey Aether 60, because it wasn’t too big yet not too small for what I will need it for.

I was getting “blasted” on here for my decision to buy online as opposed to in store, well the saleswoman certainly didn’t help me any in my decision and other than being polite and informing me that they didn’t have the Aether in any other colors (in store), she didn’t really do much at all to help me or provide any useful information. I wanted the natural colored green as opposed to the “HEY IM RIGHT HERE” orange and since they didn’t have it available in store anyways it furthered my decision to buy from another dealer online, I ended up saving $60 on the pack anyways. So I feel no shame in my decision, thanks again for the input!

I buy online 95% of the time. It saves me tons in sales tax, gas, and time! Moreover, I am able to scout around online and find exactly what I need at the price I want to pay. If I have a choice and it is the best product, I will buy American.

Heyoka
07-31-2012, 18:33
I ended up buying a Golite Jam 70 and a golite jam 35. The total for both including tax and shipping was 146.00 (TWO packs). I bought the Jam 70 first after spending many hours trying on packs and really none of them distinguishing themselves. I tried and liked many different packs. I had even planned on just mail ordering for a ULA circuit based on everyone hypeing it. I am glad I didn't. I tried the circuit in dyneema and cordura at mountains crossing and was completely underwhelmed.

The Circuit is a very nice pack but it is no way three times as nice as my Jam70 and it costs three times the price. You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

ULA is hype.

Hairbear
07-31-2012, 21:18
I ended up buying a Golite Jam 70 and a golite jam 35. The total for both including tax and shipping was 146.00 (TWO packs). I bought the Jam 70 first after spending many hours trying on packs and really none of them distinguishing themselves. I tried and liked many different packs. I had even planned on just mail ordering for a ULA circuit based on everyone hypeing it. I am glad I didn't. I tried the circuit in dyneema and cordura at mountains crossing and was completely underwhelmed.

The Circuit is a very nice pack but it is no way three times as nice as my Jam70 and it costs three times the price. You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

ULA is hype.just came from the web site golight jam 70 is under 90 bucks right now said regular 160 sounded like a deal

Firefighter503
08-04-2012, 18:34
You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

That is the most ignorant statement I've read on here in a long time. Please explain your thought process.

theoilman
08-04-2012, 21:05

Same thing applies to lots of equipment this day and time....nothing ticks me off more than to have someone buy their diving equipment on line and then drag it into the shop for service......and expect you to "cut them a deal" on the service charges. You're buying more than a piece of equipment when you buy from a local shop.

AMEN!
I paid retail in a local outfitter's shop for my shoes and my pack. They spent 2 hours with me on the shoes, and an hour on the pack. "The laborer is truly worth his hire." They earned it, they earned my respect, I gladly paid them!

(My Tarptent was bought online, no risk there, no extra services needed. I did take a chance buying my sleeping bag online, it is not as good as it's rating, but I'm OK with it; when I get the proper funds I'll buy a better, lighter one - from the same outfitter.)

leaftye
08-05-2012, 00:08

ULA is hype.

Congratulations. Instead of buying a pack made in America, you bought something that's almost certainly made in China. Mitt supporter much?

Rasty
08-05-2012, 00:34
You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

That is the most ignorant statement I've read on here in a long time. Please explain your thought process.

Firefighter - I couldn't agree more. What's better than supporting an American manufacturer. We are in this mess because each year we send about 1.5% of our national treasure elsewhere. Each year we have less customers to support non-manufacturing job because that segment doesn't have jobs. Your paying $200 for that $70 Golite pack either way. That packs just going to be paid from your taxes in the next twenty years. Please support American companies when you can.

MuddyWaters
08-05-2012, 14:31

ULA is hype.

Congrats. That is why they make all kinds of flavors of ice cream. I hope you are happy with your selections.

You are quite obtuse to badmouth other gear though, because it isnt what you have chosen, and is more expensive.

You should note that ULA does not have to discount packs heavily to sell them.

The ULA service is also second to none. Want it repaired 5 years later when you rip it on a sharp rock? , done free of charge.
Want it modified 2 yrs after purchase? Likely done free of charge as well.
Lose 30 lbs and want a smaller hipbelt? done free of charge.

Most importantly, the Circuit will carry circles around the frameless Jam, and most other lightweight packs. That is the reason that it is among the most popular packs used by thru-hikers on long trails. It simply has the feature set that they want.

pheldozer
08-06-2012, 12:51
not to perpetuate the online vs mom and pop argument, but speaking from the experience of working at a mom and pop outdoor shop for over 5 years, it became frustrating when you would spend a few hours answering questions and fitting a customer, only to have them tell you at the end that they're going to buy it online, or have their friend get it for them on a prodeal. privately owned outdoor shops aren't free resources that are subsidized by backcountry.com, and the dynamic shift of online vs instore purchasing has created a lot of friction between owners and customers in situations like the ridiculous cost to get bindings installed on skis that were purchased elsewhere, paying a big chunk of money to have a bike built, and having to pay a fee to install a car rack( a service that most shops always did for free until a few years ago), and people that buy things online and try to return them to a local shop...)

Signed,
Jaded Former Retail Worker

and to clarify, I buy a lot of gear online, but I do my research online and by reading reviews. I would never get off my high horse to waste a retail store employee's time for an item that I had no intention of purchasing from them.

Odd Man Out
08-06-2012, 22:35
...I would never get off my high horse to waste a retail store employee's time for an item that I had no intention of purchasing from them.

I agree.....