PDA

View Full Version : Being Prepared

10-K
06-04-2012, 21:59
This is a pretty good read about being prepared and how to assess environmental and trail conditions:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/be-prepared-but-against-what/

There are some things that carry over to the AT - worth a read if you're a new hiker or interested in this kind of thing.

FWIW, one of the ways I stay prepared is that I ask myself 3 questions every day I'm hiking, sometimes several times a day if conditions are bad:

1. Can I get warm.
2. Can I get dry
3. Where am I in relation to the world around me (closest help, road, etc)

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 01:28
This is a pretty good read about being prepared and how to assess environmental and trail conditions:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/be-prepared-but-against-what/

There are some things that carry over to the AT - worth a read if you're a new hiker or interested in this kind of thing.

FWIW, one of the ways I stay prepared is that I ask myself 3 questions every day I'm hiking, sometimes several times a day if conditions are bad:

1. Can I get warm.
2. Can I get dry
3. Where am I in relation to the world around me (closest help, road, etc)I think you posted this little rule last year?I liked it then,and like it now!very simple,very pertinent.

Feral Bill
06-05-2012, 01:34
If I can get warm, does it matter if I'm wet? I'm soaking wet when in a hot spring.

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 01:49
If I can get warm, does it matter if I'm wet? I'm soaking wet when in a hot spring.I guess if the hot tub is below about 92 degrees,then yes technically you could experience some sort of condition......but it may take 96 hours,very good question Bill.

10-K
06-05-2012, 05:39
There's a big difference between getting warm and staying warm.

Can I get warm? Yes, I can build a fire.

Can I get dry before the fire goes out?

Uh oh..

I want to be able to get warm and dry.

Another Kevin
06-05-2012, 08:03
I like, "if there's troublle, can I sit down comfortably, have a cup of tea, and assess the situation?"

Covers most of the essentials. I can't sit down comfortably unless I'm warm and dry, I can't have a cup of tea unless I have fire and water, and I need map, compass and suchlike to assess the situation.

And if I can do all three, how bad can the trouble be?

stranger
06-05-2012, 08:43
Can I get out of this weather quickly = tent

Can I get warm = dry sleeping bag, camp clothing and insulation from the ground

Can I eat without cooking = always have a good amount of dry/cold type food

Can I get out and is it safe to do so = knowing where you are and your abilities in such conditions