PDA

View Full Version : What water bottle/canteen do you prefer?

jelloitsalive
06-04-2012, 23:14
I picked up 2 water bottles at walmart, one is a Stanley and the other is no name brand. What bottle do you perfer?

DLANOIE
06-04-2012, 23:28
gatorade quart size.

Wise Old Owl
06-04-2012, 23:33
Smartwater -16196 here is why-it fits most hip pocket belt ons, come with an anti spill top, its easy to add singles flavor and is super uber light weight. After that its the platy....

http://www.rei.com/product/763659/camelbak-insulated-water-bottle-sleeve-25-fl-oz
http://www.rei.com/product/781836/platypus-platypreserve-wine-preservation-system-package-of-4

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 23:39
Smartwater -16196 here is why-it fits most hip pocket belt ons, come with an anti spill top, its easy to add singles flavor and is super uber light weight. After that its the platy....

http://www.rei.com/product/763659/camelbak-insulated-water-bottle-sleeve-25-fl-oz
http://www.rei.com/product/781836/platypus-platypreserve-wine-preservation-system-package-of-4That looks like Jen Aniston on Sharron Stones body...No?I would use a disposible plastic bottle as well.

leaftye
06-04-2012, 23:41
Gatorade 1.8 liter bottle. Has the big lid and fills out the side pockets of my pack. Two bottles fill most of my needs. The new bottles come with a tasty beverage.

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 00:01
I also like the idea of using a wide mouth bottle for dispensing GORP into my mouth without having to touch it all the time,works pretty good too....get in my belly!

Rocket Jones
06-05-2012, 06:00
I use a 1 liter Walmart flavored water bottle, and a wide mouth nalgene. In my pack I carry a 2-liter platypus, rolled up, for camp or dry stretches.

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 07:20
1 liter Gatorade wide mouth.

Whack-a-mole
06-05-2012, 11:17
1 liter soda pop bottles are lighter than nalgene and gatoraid bottles. They do not have a big mouth, but are very simple to use, and are quite tough. I tried to go to a bladder on my last hike, and simply hated it. Don't know why anyone would go thru that hassle, but everyone has a way that works best for them. I always used nalgenes in the past because they are so tough, and everyone used them, but when I read about the simplicity of the soda pop bottle, I tried it and have used it ever since with out looking back.

atmilkman
06-05-2012, 11:33
gatorade, powerade, smart water, coke, pepsi bottles.16204

Spokes
06-05-2012, 11:42
1+ on Gatorade Liter bottle.

Come to think of it, Ive never heard anyone on the trail use the word "canteen".

lemon b
06-05-2012, 13:33
Poweraide 32oz as of late with the small mouth because I don't get water running down my cheeks as sometimes happens with gatoraide.

BobTheBuilder
06-05-2012, 13:53
I'm laughing at myself because this is such a tiny detail, but I like Powerade bottles. They are slightly more cylinder shaped (as opposed to barrel shaped) than Gatorade bottles, so they slide in and out of my pack side pockets more easily. I still use a nalgene soft-sided 96 oz canteen in camp to limit the trips to the water source.

sbhikes
06-05-2012, 14:24
I'd never buy a bottle for water, I'd always just recycle one.

bigcranky
06-05-2012, 14:52
They are slightly more cylinder shaped (as opposed to barrel shaped) than Gatorade bottles,

Huh. This exactly why I switched to the one liter Gatorade bottles this year -- the short fat shape lets them fit in the side pockets of my Circuit more easily. My one liter Aqua Fina bottles were too tall and it was easy for them to fall out.

leaftye
06-05-2012, 17:38
The other bottle I use is the 1.5 liter green tea bottle. I might start using these exclusively because the threads are compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze filter.

Rocket Jones
06-05-2012, 19:13
That the reason I started carrying the nalgene wide-mouth instead of a second recycled water bottle. The threads fit my buddy's filter, and often times since he's refilling I'll just go ahead and do mine too.

Wil
06-05-2012, 19:18
I like 1QT plastic mayo jars. Nice for getting Stripen water contact while stirring; they also snug down nice into my bottle holders so I don't have to worry about losing them when I'm bushwhacking. They are TOO wide for some holders, however.

Not Sunshine
06-05-2012, 19:19
gatorade, powerade, smart water, coke, pepsi bottles.16204

I find the best part of this photo is the rifle standing in the corner! ahahahahah

jelloitsalive
06-06-2012, 22:10
Does BPA make a diffrence

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2012, 22:17
no but lead does.

Praha4
06-06-2012, 23:17
I've found the size and shape of this bottle works best for my pack.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mSOB7511i6YtlJDnOL4zcKw.jpg

Rickard
06-07-2012, 10:46
http://www.rei.com/product/626197/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-48-fl-oz

Chicken Feathers
06-07-2012, 12:34
Cascade makes canteen it has wide mouth

Velvet Gooch
06-07-2012, 13:17
I carry a couple or three ancient wide-mouthed Nalgene bottles. The ones without captive lids—I hate loop-top lids. Yeah, they're heavy, but I like being able to just toss them in the dishwasher

BobTheBuilder
06-12-2012, 16:42
Huh. This exactly why I switched to the one liter Gatorade bottles this year -- the short fat shape lets them fit in the side pockets of my Circuit more easily. My one liter Aqua Fina bottles were too tall and it was easy for them to fall out.

Excellent - now between us we can keep both Gatorage and Powerade in business.

Bucho
06-13-2012, 20:45
http://www.rei.com/product/768123/platypus-plusbottle-1-liter-water-bottle-with-pushpull-cap

freckles
07-17-2012, 17:27
I carry a 1L wide mouth Nalgene and a 3L Platypus bladder. I like that the Nalgene is safe for high temperatures and heavy duty enough to use for counterweights, pounding in tent stakes, etc.

I don't like to reuse plastic water/soda/Gatorade bottles because they can't be safely used with hot water.

Maddog
07-17-2012, 17:46
I picked up 2 water bottles at walmart, one is a Stanley and the other is no name brand. What bottle do you perfer?
1.5L Mt. Dew bottles fit perfectly in my ULA CDT! Maddog:)

mgeiger
07-17-2012, 17:51
I like 20 oz powerade bottles. One on each hip. Still use Nalgenes too on occasion.

Drybones
07-17-2012, 20:38
24 oz Smartwater bottle...they are tall and slim which fits better in the pack pocket and easier to get out. Have not tried them yet but Listerine bottles look like they might be good...I use a small one for fuel and it works well.

WhiteTornado
07-17-2012, 20:46
i carry a 2 liter militatary water bladder and one 32 once bottle (got it free froma give away)/or a 3 liter water bladder and a brita with filter(can take junk off the top of water

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2012, 20:53
24 oz Smartwater bottle...they are tall and slim which fits better in the pack pocket and easier to get out. Have not tried them yet but Listerine bottles look like they might be good...I use a small one for fuel and it works well.

I agree they rock! uber and awesome and they fit snug into several difficult neoprene socks!

Velvet Gooch
07-18-2012, 04:21
:::WINTER:::
3x Hunersdorf 1.0 liter
2x Forty Below Bottle Boots

theinfamousj
07-18-2012, 23:05
I use a 3 L Platy bladder in the pack, and a 1 L Platy or reused drink bottle as my in-treatment water bottle. The trick to using a bladder, for me, is to ignore the built in water bladder sleeve in my pack, and just toss the platy in at the very top so I can reach it easily without unloading everything to get down to a hydration sleeve.

For those about to start the whole BPA thing again, there is no BPA in LDPE or HDPE or PET which is what most drink bottles (that you get already filled with delicious drink) are made of. You only run the risk of BPA when dealing with milky white plastic Nalgene bottles or old milky white plastic baby bottles. If you can see through it and it is transparent (though colored), there is no BPA in it. If anyone remembers back to pre-BPA scare, Nalgene was selling white bottles with blue printing on them and blue caps. They've stopped, though I've never seen anyone have those because they were less aesthetically pleasing than the colored clear (Lexan) bottles.

Also, for those who are uncertain: Gatorade and Poweraid bottles are hot-filled, so they can handle boiling water as they are filled with boiling liquid which is then chilled later in the bottling process.

atmilkman
07-18-2012, 23:10
Also, for those who are uncertain: Gatorade and Poweraid bottles are hot-filled, so they can handle boiling water as they are filled with boiling liquid which is then chilled later in the bottling process.
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

theinfamousj
07-18-2012, 23:25
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I taught the child of a Gatorade food scientist and during another year, the child of a Poweraid bottling distributor, which is how I came across that knowledge. Coincidentally, Vitamin Water is also hot filled as it is an (IIRC) Gatorade product.

(Though it may be a Poweraid product. The bottle is exactly the same as whoever the parent company is. And that parent company is also Snapple, which is - you guessed it - hot filled, too.)

Mike2012
07-19-2012, 01:08
I like the bladder bags because they make great ice packs when the water is ice cold. They also make good pillows and when half empty fit well enough in your shorts pockets. Right now I am preferring recycled/repurposed bottles that fit in my side pack pockets as they balance my pack out and won't leak inside my pack. Currently packing 3- 1 liter bottles and a couple bladders for low or inconvenient water situations.

gunner76
07-26-2012, 20:57
I use a gatorade and a powerade bottle. Same size but the powerade bottle is a little thinner and a tad lighter (1.4 oz vers 1.8 oz)

Papa D
07-26-2012, 21:53
gatorade quart size.

yep - enough said (unless it's winter when I add a nalgene to make a hot water bottle with)

jakedatc
08-05-2012, 18:54
one Aquafina 1L bottle and 1 24oz smartwater or gatorade with the flip/twist top. i've found that being able to drink on the go with the flip top instead of a screw top makes life easier while hiking with trekking poles. the skinnier kind fit into the osprey exos angled pockets better too.

rmitchell
08-05-2012, 19:32
I find the best part of this photo is the rifle standing in the corner! ahahahahah

I think it is a shotgun.

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 19:09
Platypus 0.5L and 1.0L

Light weight and fold up when not using.

Praha4
09-28-2012, 08:00
I use a 1L Powerade bottle in one of the side pockets on my backpack, typically keep it full of treated water, depending on how far to the next water source, and how hot/humid is the weather. Sometimes I leave this bottle empty and just use the shoulder strap mounted 20 oz. gatorade bottle.

I also have a MLD bottle pouch attached to the left shoulder strap, with a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle that I drink from all day while hiking, I usually use hydration tabs with that 20oz. gatorade bottle during the day...either the GU-Brew lemon lime tablets or NUUN cucumber-mint tablets.

between water sources, I'll stop and refill the gatorade bottle from the 1L powerade bottle, drop in another hydration tab, and ready to go.

for camp I have a 2L Evernew softbottle to get water from the source and treat for dinner and the next morning. If its a long hump to the next water source, I'll use the Evernew softbottle as a backup and partially fill it.

I used to use a 2L Platy Big-Zip with the hoses. It's a good system, but takes more time to pull the Big Zip out of the pack to refill it during the day. Using the disposable Powerade and gatorade bottles is easier and lighter. And u can replace them at every town stop if u want.

BlackNight
10-19-2012, 06:26
My all time preference is Gatorade, it is the best. :cool:

Raymond James
10-19-2012, 08:32
I outfitted my grand children with some day packs this past summer and never considered buying a canteen..Just got bought 4 bottles of gatorade They fit , I don't realy care if they loose one and they last. I also reused a simller gatorade type bottles for the bikes they fit into a bottle holder on the bike.

Reading the post on here I think I might get out my 40 year old milky white / flexable water bottles and give them a toss. For sure they have to have bpa in them.

Starchild
10-19-2012, 09:24
Water is one of the easiest things to learn to acquire in the wild and also one of the heaviest things to carry so I try to do as much acquiring and as little carrying as possible and reasonable. How I chose to purify water (steripen) has dictated my bottle choices to some degree, which it should, water bottles should be though of as a part of a system, and optimized for it. So there is not really a one size fits all solution.

Usually I use a 1 liter Gator/Powerade type disposable type and an, usually approximately, 1/2 a liter disposable type, the brand doesn't matter so much just as long as it's not the new ultra-small opening that I find on some water bottles now - I do like the suggestion of the mayo containers with the wide opening.

The reason for the sizes is so I can chose how much to carry, if water is plentiful I will only fill the 1/2 a liter bottle, drink all I want at the water source and continue on with maybe 8-10 oz remaining - the steripen makes this easy and quick to do at the water source. I usually also carry a lightweight collapsable bottle somewhere if it becomes necessary to carry more.

Nalgene bottles I sometime use, their advantage is mainly in they can take hot/boiling water which may be useful in winter/cold weather situations. They also seem nicer for day hiking in a group where the extra weight doesn't really matter much and you get style points.

Whack-a-mole
10-19-2012, 15:53
Coke has recently come out with a 1.25 liter size, and they have the classic long neck coke bottle design. This lets them be more reachable without taking my pack off. I'm using a golite quest with the mesh angled pockets, and some bottles can be difficult to remove with the pack on. The new coke bottles work great.

88BlueGT
10-19-2012, 16:03
2 Gatorade Bottles
2.0L roll up water bladder

T-Rx
10-19-2012, 16:35
A 1 liter nalgene in side pocket, a 24 oz. smart water bottle on shoulder strap and a 2 liter roll up platypus for extra camp water.