PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof pants

Miami Joe
06-05-2012, 01:50
This might be a dumb question, but do you pack waterproof pants in the summer? I've always packed them no matter the season but I got into a debate with someone about it today and I'm reconsidering. Would quick-dry pants be good enough in summer months? Just curious what other people do. I'll probably still pack them.

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 02:33
This might be a dumb question, but do you pack waterproof pants in the summer? I've always packed them no matter the season but I got into a debate with someone about it today and I'm reconsidering. Would quick-dry pants be good enough in summer months? Just curious what other people do. I'll probably still pack them.Not a stupid question at all.Ya know Joe if I was doing a hike of maybe 4 days or more in the summer months,then yes I think I too would bring them,as even in the summer it can get quite cold when the rain and winds blow,especially if it was a late afternoon/early evening rain and the Sun would be going down soon,then it gets real cold if your all wet with now way to warm up,or with no sunshine coming through the canopy in a woods,come to think of it I'd bring em on a 3 day and even a 2 day depending on forecast,and if I'm only out for a 1 day hike,I really wouldn't need them as I'd be going home soon,but why be cold and wet,right?so the very long/short answer is why not! if only for a weight saving consideration...I sure hope this helped you,I know it helped my typing skills.:rolleyes:
And as always Hike Your Own Hike.

fenderbenderfc
06-05-2012, 04:48
I have silk long underwear but no true pants.

Grumble
06-05-2012, 05:44
I just bring wind pants. They are lighter,and the wind is the real issue in my experience.

Old Hiker
06-05-2012, 08:24
I don't like hiking in cold, wet pants or shorts, esp. when stopping for the night and having to put them back on in the morning. I had a pair of Dri-Duck type pants, but they fell apart by Hot Springs, plus after losing 25+ pounds, I had to gather the elastic hem in and tie it off with a piece of cord.

I got some Columbia rain pants for full price (!), but I like them a LOT better. Full length leg zippers, velcro adjustable waist tabs, very light weight, WAY easier to get on and off over boots.

My rain pants doubled as a wind break in cold weather from the beginning of my hike. My pack kept my back warm and I'd wear my BDU liner backwards to keep my front warm, but my legs would get cold in the hard winds on the ridges.

Personal experience side trail: make SURE your rain jacket (if you wear one) is NOT accidentally tucked into the back of your rain pants! Makes for a quick way to get your butt soaked quickly in a downpour!

Spogatz
06-05-2012, 08:28
I have one of those rain wraps. kind of like a wrap around skirt made from silnylon and super light. works great...

Don H
06-05-2012, 08:29
Assuming you're asking in the context of a thru-hike.
My rain pants went with my cold weather gear in Pearisburg. The only time I ever wore them was while I was doing laundry anyway.
Quick dry pants like North Face Paramount Convertibles are a good choice.