PDA

View Full Version : It's winter on top of Mount Washington even though it's June!

DavidNH
06-05-2012, 13:17
Windchills in teens, snow ice, stiff winds, temperatures in mid 20's. This was weather this past weekend (June 2-3, 2012) on summit of Mount Washington. Today, Temps have reached 34 degrees, so above freezing.

Of course, there's never a lack of idiots who think that just cause it's warm in the valley, that they can go to the summits in jeans and T shirts. Such happened.. a bunch of hikers this past weekend were in first stages of hypothermia. Fortunately, they got a ride down the mountain, after buying souvenirs from the gift shop. Story is on www.wmur.com.

I really don't get it. Mount Washington is known the world over for it's severe weather. They have a web site that gives us summit conditions and the forecast for the summits. Yet there are still these nuts who go hiking to the summits above tree line in June wearing just jeans, t shirt, and cheap ponchos! I trust you all are smarter than this!

DavidNH

Driver8
06-05-2012, 13:42
The ability to walk up a mountain does not imply the inclination to read, plan and prepare. Many's the thrill-seeker who gets himself or herself in trouble in such a way.

Driver8
06-05-2012, 13:44
PS: The MWO website today, in its high summits forecast, has ALL CAPS warnings about the dangers of hiking above tree-line in today's weather and warning against the folly of underestimating Mount Washington in June.

coach lou
06-05-2012, 14:02
It hasn't been June on Long Island Sound either............................no climate change here, Rush will tell ya so.

coach lou
06-05-2012, 14:05
Click************Pop.....................that was the sound of a can of worms being opened!!!

Rasty
06-05-2012, 14:25
It hasn't been June on Long Island Sound either............................no climate change here, Rush will tell ya so.

What's climate change? Never heard of it.

coach lou
06-05-2012, 15:01
Soon Marta, will be posting pictures of No-Glacier Park.

Snowleopard
06-05-2012, 15:20
It's been hypothermia weather here and in VT, NH, ME the last few days. Be careful out there!

Buffalo Skipper
06-05-2012, 16:08
Good News! Cooler temps keep the black flies at bay. ;)

DavidNH
06-05-2012, 17:08
why do some need to take a rel. serious post and make something silly out of it?

the fact that it snowed a couple inches on top of 6288 ft mt Washington, has nothing to do with presence or absence of warming temperatures globally. Glaciers are receeding everywhere. THAT is an indication. but I won't waste my breath on these silly deniers!

coach lou
06-05-2012, 17:31
Seriously Dave, 99.9% of us on this site know how serious the weather on Mt. Washington seriously can be. Those folks on top of Mt.Washington in Jeans & T-shirts were probably not WBers. I seriously think you should hit every approach trail and check to make sure all who try to walk up there are fully equiped and dressed properly. Is snow on top of Mt. Washington in any month headline news. Seriously, you gotta lighten up.

Pedaling Fool
06-05-2012, 17:56
Ya'll need to get serious here. :sun

Derek81pci
06-05-2012, 18:03
Seriously? :)

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 18:06
Isn't there huge signs that say STOP you are entering an area know for unusually high winds,and something to the effect of PEOPLE HAVE DIED.

rocketsocks
06-05-2012, 18:13
Click************Pop.....................that was the sound of a can of worms being opened!!!maybe on your end,on my end it's a pepsi an pop corn.lol

Chaco Taco
06-07-2012, 08:07
Its New England! :cool: Im not at all surprised there is snow on Washington. I like it, keeps the annoying black flies down. My first experience with black flies was bad and I lost by a large margin. BUT it beats the oppressive heat that will be arriving in the south in a few weeks. I know it gets hot up here but the heat is so much different in the south and then there is the air quality. The cool nights in the high summits have been really nice!

Gray Blazer
06-07-2012, 09:02
Isn't there huge signs that say STOP you are entering an area know for unusually high winds,and something to the effect of PEOPLE HAVE DIED.

I recall the signs saying something like ...

Warning
The area ahead has the worst weather in the world.
If the weather looks bad
Turn back now!

Feral Bill
06-07-2012, 12:28
I recall the signs saying something like ...

Warning
The area ahead has the worst weather in the world.
Many have died of exposure here, even in summer
If the weather looks bad
Turn back now!

I think thats the complete deal.

Gray Blazer
06-07-2012, 13:17
I think thats the complete deal.

Thanks! :o

It's weird seeing those signs in the middle of nowhere.

DLANOIE
06-07-2012, 13:26
Windchills in teens, snow ice, stiff winds, temperatures in mid 20's. This was weather this past weekend (June 2-3, 2012) on summit of Mount Washington. Today, Temps have reached 34 degrees, so above freezing.

Of course, there's never a lack of idiots who think that just cause it's warm in the valley, that they can go to the summits in jeans and T shirts. Such happened.. a bunch of hikers this past weekend were in first stages of hypothermia. Fortunately, they got a ride down the mountain, after buying souvenirs from the gift shop. Story is on www.wmur.com (http://www.wmur.com).

I really don't get it. Mount Washington is known the world over for it's severe weather. They have a web site that gives us summit conditions and the forecast for the summits. Yet there are still these nuts who go hiking to the summits above tree line in June wearing just jeans, t shirt, and cheap ponchos! I trust you all are smarter than this!

DavidNH

Lucky for them idiots, they got a ride and SAR wasnt needed. Severe weather on W is not headline news and we have all seen people hiking W with jeans, cotton Ts and keds in bad weather. I would like to know how these people make it to the sumit?! Its a butt kicking climb for me and Ive hiked it a bunch of times!:eek::p