PDA

View Full Version : Mileage advice

Road runner
06-05-2012, 15:37
I am planning a section hike from Turners Gap in Maryland to Kent, CT. I average about 15 miles a day. I will throw a 20+ in about every third day and I will also do a 10 about once a week as well.

I know that I will have days where the rocks will dictate my pace. However, I am not certain where those sections are. Can anyone tell me where to prepare for slower days due to the rocks? Also are there sections that 20+ days are possible?

Slo-go'en
06-05-2012, 16:14
That entire distance doesn't have anything which will slow you down a lot. Once you get your trail legs and stamina built up, doing 20+ days is quite possible and will become your normal pace for that section. PA is a bit ankle twisty from about Duncannon north and there are a few stiff grunts out of gaps here and there, but they don't pose that much of a speed bump. Anyway, there is no real way of telling what might slow you down and what might not - there are too many variables.

I think what will mostly determine your pace is the weather. If it's high summer, the heat, humidity and afternoon storms will be what slows you down.