PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southbounders unite

Derek81pci
06-05-2012, 17:55
The official registry gets a little crowded with all the people heading north and so few of us, so, I thought I'd make an unofficial thread for us to keep in touch and maybe get to know some of you before we see each other on the trail in 2013! Just going with the basic stuff for myself but add whatever you'd like about yourself. Also, I'd like to ask why you chose to go SOBO versus the masses.

I'll start I guess!

Trail name: Shimp (just a nickname I've had forever stemming from 1 really, really bad haircut I got as a kid).
From: I live in Columbus, Ohio currently but I'm from South Carolina.

I'm 30 now and finally have a great job that will permit me to take the 6 months off.

I'll be bringing a water-color set and sketch pad to help with zero days and other times of boredom / inspiration.

Chose SOBO solely for the challenge of it. Some of the hardest hiking right off the bat. Being in pretty remote places where you HAVE to plan properly and try to get yourself into the routine of hiking life. Less people, I've never had a huge group of friends, but I do have several amazing very close friends. I've never seen the need for quantity.

SomeGuy
06-05-2012, 20:30
Great idea, didn't know how many SOBOs there would be all together.

Trail name: None yet, I just think it would be better for others to pick one for me. Just Chris until then
I'll be graduating and I will have lots of time off for a while and I have wanted to do the AT ever since I heard about it when I first started backpacking a few years ago.
I'll be bringing a slingshot with me, always seems to provide HOURS of fun if I get rained in, or if I'm waiting for stuff to cook. :D

Reasons for my SOBO:
1. I want to do the AT before I get to old(although age doesn't seem to be a problem for a lot of the people on here) and I figured that if I did it before I enlist it could only help.
2. I graduate at the end of May,so going north isn't really an option because I want to have plenty of extra time to go to towns and do other things along the way.
3. It means I am hiking towards home(well, a little past home)

Pancake5765
06-05-2012, 22:56
Trail Name: Pancake
Start Date: Mid to late June

This will be my 2nd attempt at a thru-hike. The first time was NOBO in 2009 and I ended up traveling the country by car after a month. My pack was 40lbs (yuck) and I was going it alone. However since then I have gotten down to 25 lbs with food for 5 days and still have weight I can shed with expensive light gear, if I find it at a lower price. My girlfriend will also be with me this time, her name is Earthquake, her pack weighing only 20lbs. There may also be a friend or two coming along, but no one has bought a pack yet. . .

I want to go SOBO to shake up my 2nd attempt. I like the idea of the first "flat" stretch in Maine to break in, and not having to finish before Katadyn closes . It also works out nicely with moving our stuff home to Connecticut, and getting a ride to Maine from there.
---------
Bringing a slingshot is a fun idea for sure. I might be trying that out here next time I am hiking.

forrest!
06-06-2012, 09:19
Trail Name: Forrest - which is my middle name.

I'll be retiring next Spring, and finally doing the thru-hike I have been dreaming of since I was 12. I've had lots of hiking experience, so I know what to expect and plan for - no worries.

I was originally going to go northbound, but I've done section hikes in the Spring in Georgia, always going against the traffic flow of northbounders, and seen the crowds. After I thought about it I decided going southbound would better suit my personality. While I like company, I am pretty much self sufficient, and happier away from the crowds.

When I start depends on next year's winter and when Maine dries out a little and Katahdin opens. But probably as early as possible so I can finish by Thanksgiving.

Shrimp, I like the idea of the sketching - maybe I'll join you. A waterbrush and some watercolor pencils would work too.

motlekj06
06-06-2012, 19:21
Trail Name: None yet. I did Springer to Erwin last summer and my trail name was Winnie (as in The Pooh) and if nothing happens, i'll bring it back.

Start: Last week of June, First week of July?

I started a NOBO last year, and had a blast. Unfortunately a hospital bill and a financial crisis back home took me off the trail.

I want to go SOBO for several reasons:
1) I had such a good time and have so many memories last year, that I think I will keep those and not try to redo it.
2) I want to get out of the "herd" mentality that seemed to reel me in during my NOBO.
3) I like the idea of doing Maine and NH first.
4) Most importantly, autumn is my favorite season to hike in and i LOVE the idea of hiking with fall.

No way I'm going home this time! I'll crawl to Springer or rob a bank if I have to!

gnpwdrtreason
06-20-2012, 10:25
Trail Name: I wasn't aware that trail names existed until I scrolled down. Dan is fine, or rick

Start: Mid to late March

I chose SOBO because that's what everyone told me is the best way to walk with the seasons, which is why I'm starting so early. I'm doing the trail because, well, I'm sort of lost in my life, I'll be 21 in a few days, no idea where my life is headed, something about the trail really got to me and I just felt the need to do it. Six months of self reflection and the zen quality of walking will hopefully lead me to understand myself better. Not to sound all "preachy" or anything, best way to put it into words. We can be friends.

Pancake5765
06-23-2012, 17:04

I do not think Katahdin will be open to summit that early. It's gunna be pretty cold wet and snowy up North. From what I've read on the board here June, maybe LATE July, is the earliest a SOBO should start.

I know on my NOBO attempt in 2009 I met a hiker who had started in Maine during April had to stop due to feet and feet of snow and frozen water sources,subsequently flying to Georgia to hike North.

on_the_GOEZ
06-23-2012, 21:04

Baxter doesn't open until late may/early june. This won't work. Id suggest early to mid july. The summer solstice in Maine is awesome!

on_the_GOEZ
06-23-2012, 21:06
The summer solstice in Maine is awesome!

*edit: The POST summer solstice time in Maine is awesome!

atkory
07-01-2012, 19:30
Trail Name: None yet.

Start: July 1, 2013

I want to go SOBO for several reasons:
1) My job will not release me until June 28, 2012
2) Everyone says the people are why they stay on the trail (reason NOT doing a flip-flop)

doing a journal: atkory.wordpress.com

Kibble n Bit
07-03-2012, 22:16
Trail Name: Kibble's n Bit

Wanted to start on May 1st, But that may be too early

We want to got SOBO because:
We would like to get out of Maine before the heavy snow.
We will be heading home
And we wanted to take a train to Maine

Sugarfoot
07-04-2012, 08:22
I'm going to "register" here as well as on the main thread, since I'll be flip-flopping. I can't leave GA until the end of April and don't want to hike the mid-Atlantic in the heat of summer. I've done that before and I am capable of learning from my mistakes. So I plan to jump up to Katahdin from Harpers Ferry, giving me an excuse to take the train. So --

Trail Name: Sugarfoot
Starting from Springer: April 28
Starting from Katahdin: about July 6

I look forward to meeting many of you true SOBOs!

ljawesome
07-22-2012, 21:20
Trail Name: ahh, none yet!
Starting: early/middle of june .. post graduation, whenever my landlord kicks me out :D
Why SOBO?!: easier to get to!! mostly that's it, but i also have friends and rafting/camping experience on the penobscot, so i'm comfortable with the area and i suppose as comfortable as one gets with black flies. hope they aren't in full fury by the time i get there, yikes!

HukeLeater
08-07-2012, 13:04
Trail Name; I haven't received one yet
From; NY/TX/RI
Starting; Early June
Why SOBO?; I will be graduating at the end of May, and Go to school near Maine so it makes sense. I'd rather go NOBO but it doesn't fit my schedule.

One of the reasons I'd rather go NOBO is because there are more people to be surrounded by. I enjoy other peoples company, and I believe it will enhance the experience. Does anyone know what the average amount of SOBO's are?!

Derek81pci
08-10-2012, 19:22
Under 300 annual SOBO's is the last number I read. Not 100% sure though.

ajba9009
08-16-2012, 05:41
no trail name yet
from alabama
starting: mid august?
im going sobo because im aching to get started and i'm impatient, and realistically my best chance is to start in the north. Anybody thinking of starting any time in august?

ByrdGirl
09-21-2012, 00:41
Trail name: maybe ByrdGirl
From CA
Leaving for Maine late in May and starting around June 1. I'm going with a good friend from school.
Reasons why we are going south bound:
1) have family that will help us prepare and drive us in Maine
2) friend we want to hang with in Florida, going take a bus to his house from Georgia
3) hard part out of the way first
Goal: Find myself, lose weight

I have always wanted to do a long trip like this but I wanted someone to go with and finally I found a friend who is as excited about this as I am. Woot woot! Can't wait to meet some of you.

daniella
09-28-2012, 02:10
Trail name: none yet
Originally from GA but living in WA at this time.
Start: Second week of June
Why?: I like the idea of heading home and I'm up for the challenge! Can't wait to see you guys!!

melaniebk
10-14-2012, 15:40
Trail name: none yet; think I'll wait and let someone else pick
native south carolinian; USC grad. but will be wearing blaze orange by fall
start: last week of June, or first July
Why? I love the southern mtns in autumn, will be hiking home, didn't want a slow pace/bad weather to keep us from summiting Katahdin (if we went NOBO), wanted to wait until after my daughter graduates college to start because she's coming with me!

bstanga1
10-17-2012, 11:09
Trail Name: Don't have one yet

From: Originally - Southeast Louisiana. Live - Athens, Georgia

Start Date: Around July 1

Why SOBO: I'll be graduating UGA in May, so due to time constraints and the idea of walking home, I'll be a SOBO.

Flachenmann
10-17-2012, 12:55
Hi,

I'm Nick. No trail name exactly. I figure that'll sort it's self out.

I'm from GA. I'll be graduating from Georgia Southern in May. I figure I could go NOBO starting in may but that would defeat the whole purpose of doing the trail anyways. I'm looking at this like a vacation. I'm fed up with due dates and time limits any ways, so no reason to rush.

So I'm starting June 10th and then taking a week off sometime mid august for a friend's wedding. But I'll be back! I'm going southbound originally just because of the time constraints with graduation, but the more I read about it the more it fits my personality. Also I'd rather follow fall than walk with spring. I've always been a cold weather camper.

I have some experience doing ultralite backpacking from boy scouts. I've done a couple hundred milers at Philmont, and countless weekend trips all around the southeast.

Rock Lobster
11-04-2012, 18:14
Hi, I'm Bill, AKA Rock Lobstah from Chicago. I've hiked two long stretches of 1100 and 1000 miles in 2008 and this summer, respectively (including Shenandoah twice - it's one of the highlights of the trail). Because I hit the Whites in mid-October, the weather was dangerously bad, so the only stretch of trail I haven't done is from Monson to Franconia notch in NH.

I'm planning on starting from Katahdin again next summer and hiking south until I finish, and then possibly further. I teach, so I don't have to be back until late August. I figured it would be more fun to hike south with the Sobo crowd and finish with new friends than to hike north at the wrong time of year and be alone most of the time. I love the trail community and look forward to rejoining it for a while! Haven't decided when to start yet, but probably around mid to late June.

Cozy
11-04-2012, 19:19
The official registry gets a little crowded with all the people heading north and so few of us, so, I thought I'd make an unofficial thread for us to keep in touch and maybe get to know some of you before we see each other on the trail in 2013! Just going with the basic stuff for myself but add whatever you'd like about yourself. Also, I'd like to ask why you chose to go SOBO versus the masses.

I'll start I guess!

Trail name: Shimp (just a nickname I've had forever stemming from 1 really, really bad haircut I got as a kid).
From: I live in Columbus, Ohio currently but I'm from South Carolina.

I'm 30 now and finally have a great job that will permit me to take the 6 months off.

I'll be bringing a water-color set and sketch pad to help with zero days and other times of boredom / inspiration.

Chose SOBO solely for the challenge of it. Some of the hardest hiking right off the bat. Being in pretty remote places where you HAVE to plan properly and try to get yourself into the routine of hiking life. Less people, I've never had a huge group of friends, but I do have several amazing very close friends. I've never seen the need for quantity.

Hi everyone.

Trailname: Cozy

I will be doing a flip flop. I plan to start Springer in mid/late April, head home for a week/10 days, then jump back on the trail in Maine and head southbound.

I chose a a flip-flop for a few reasons, #4 and #6 being most important to me:

1) Start with other people but not with mass crowds
2) Avoid having to carry much heavier Winter gear
3) Avoid the heat of the midatlantic states during the summer months
4) Tackle the hardest part of the trail (NH, ME) in the middle of the hike when my physical condition is at its optimal instead at the end when you're worn out or the beginning when you don't have trail legs yet. Following a training schedule before the hike and completing the stretch from Springer to Harpers Ferry will put me in optimal physical condition and best prepare me to tackle the hardest part of the trail in NH/ME.
5) Gain more solitude from Maine to Harpers than I did from Springer to Harper's
6) Be a part of two incredible groups: NOBO's, then SOBO's, and then bump into NOBO's again as I head south.
7) Avoid the pressure of having to get to Kataldin
8) Enjoy the New England states after the flip and a week of rest at home instead of pushing hard and focusing on Kataldin, Kataldin, Kataldin and missing things along the way

I look forward to enjoying God's great creation and experiencing a closer walk with God in my personal life.

I look forward to meeting you all on the trail.

-Cozy

HikerMom58
11-04-2012, 20:17
Cool thread guys... I look forward to meeting some of you as you go through Daleville, VA. ^ Cozy^ I like ur post. Great Bible verse as well. :)

ifusaidplease
11-04-2012, 20:43
Trail Name:none
Start date: mid July (dont get out of the Military til early july)

Id rather go south bound for a few reasons
1)Smaller crowd
2)If you can make it through the tough part first thats some solid motivation
3)Hiking to my new home

Moosky
11-07-2012, 16:08
Trail Name: Moosky (moo - ski). Nick name from college and work. I guess it's a russian variation of my chinese first name.

From: China, MA, NY, CT, take your pick, I'm having an identity crisis

Start Date: early-mid July

Why SOBO: my visa expires in Feb 2014, and my job won't release me until July. Therefore SOBO is the only option for me. But I kind of like the idea of going through ME and NH first. The Whites look majestic!

Cameron Keener
11-12-2012, 12:51
Hi! I'm Cameron, 19, living in Boone, NC.

No trail name as of yet; I'll let the trail itself sort that one out.

Plan to start early/mid-June.

Why SoBo: I like the idea of walking towards home and not having to rush to summit Katahdin. I'm up for the challenge of starting with the difficult sections; I figure knocking those out will be perfect motivation to keep walking. Perhaps most of all, I'm looking forward to walking with autumn and enjoying the solitude.

emhans
11-13-2012, 03:08
I know I'm planning to do this in 2014, but I wanted to chime in.

No trail name yet, I'd like to get mine during my thru-hike
Start date: (hopefully) June 1, 2014

I want to go SOBO because I like the idea of hiking towards home. I want to be able to meet up with my parents at Springer Mountain. Also, I am graduating in May of that year, and moving out of my apartment at the end of that month. Then, I'll start PT school January 2015. So with that timeline, it makes the most sense to go SOBO.

My father is going to do the 100 mile wilderness with me and, for his planning purposes, knowing an exact date to take off work is the best option. I don't want to have to potentially rush or wait around to meet up with him either.

I'm very excited and am in the planning stage--getting gear I'm missing, physical training, and working on my budget/saving.

lukabrazi
11-18-2012, 13:52
Hi I'm Kyle. I'm not actually thru hiking the entire trail but I'm heading out with the SBers. I'm a special ed teacher in PA so I have the summers off. I decided to try to hike the trail over the course of two summers so Ill be out with you all hopefully for three months and will jut see how far I get. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking but haven't had the chance to do any extended trips like this. I will be driving from PA to Bangor in a rental car probably around June 10th or so. I'm open to sharing the ride with anyone that lives near the route and wants to chip in.

hikingirl
11-26-2012, 22:50
Hi,
In the Dayton area. When are you planning your hike?

Seabird
12-08-2012, 21:01
Hi! I'll be hiking SOBO either this summer or next, depending on how preparations/work/planning for what to do after I return work out.
No trail name yet, but one will stick eventually.
I've wanted to hike the AT for years, but it's been taking up more of my mental space in the last year or so due to a number of changes in my life...
I want to hike south mostly to avoid crowds (I've always been happier alone than with lots of people), but also because I have family in Maine who can help me prepare some and get to the trail, and because I don't want to feel rushed to get to Katahdin before it closes for the winter, and because I certainly wouldn't mind getting the hardest part out of the way first while starting the trail in a wonderfully inspiring place!

I might have lots of questions about gear and such, because although I did some backpacking in high school I'm starting to realize that most of my gear from then is based on the advice of my experienced-but-old-fashioned dad... I've got an external frame pack (Kelty Trekker 3900 ST) but am now ambivalent about it being heavy even though I like the way it distributes weight.

Hairbear
12-08-2012, 21:15
im heading north from pawling in june, i look forward to meeting you all.

SawnieRobertson
12-09-2012, 16:23
[QUOTE=Sugarfoot;1307287]I'm going to "register" here as well as on the main thread, since I'll be flip-flopping. I can't leave GA until the end of April and don't want to hike the mid-Atlantic in the heat of summer. I've done that before and I am capable of learning from my mistakes. So I plan to jump up to Katahdin from Harpers Ferry, giving me an excuse to take the train. So --] Sugarfoot, you and I are sooooo on the same page. If necessary, I will do acrobatics to be able to enjoy (not endure) the trail. Starting early March from Springer; leaving trail for knee injection June 26; leaping forward to Katahdin a week or so later. Only thing is that I may leap only to Glencliff then continue north followed by dropping back down to Glencliff to hike south to wherever I was on June 24. However it goes, it will be beautiful, comparatively bug free, and not too hot.

skypup888
12-18-2012, 16:50
Hi my name is Curry will be doing a SoBo run because of a failed NoBo attempt this past spring gotta switch it up some. I will be starting somewhere in the middle of july cant wait to get back out their i miss the woods alot the corn out here in iowa is driving me insane haha but good luck to everyones preparations and have a Merry Christmas

Hairbear
12-19-2012, 11:04
[QUOTE=Sugarfoot;1307287]I'm going to "register" here as well as on the main thread, since I'll be flip-flopping. I can't leave GA until the end of April and don't want to hike the mid-Atlantic in the heat of summer. I've done that before and I am capable of learning from my mistakes. So I plan to jump up to Katahdin from Harpers Ferry, giving me an excuse to take the train. So --] Sugarfoot, you and I are sooooo on the same page. If necessary, I will do acrobatics to be able to enjoy (not endure) the trail. Starting early March from Springer; leaving trail for knee injection June 26; leaping forward to Katahdin a week or so later. Only thing is that I may leap only to Glencliff then continue north followed by dropping back down to Glencliff to hike south to wherever I was on June 24. However it goes, it will be beautiful, comparatively bug free, and not too hot.

i like your style sawnie

Tree Nerd
12-20-2012, 15:30
Hey everyone! My name is Luke and I'm from Green, Ohio which is a suburb of Akron, Ohio......I live like 4 minutes from the Akron-Canton Airport. I have been in Lexington, Kentucky for the past four years while attending the University of Kentucky. I will be graduating in May from the Forestry Program.

Trail Name: Sycamore, because it my favorite tree, Im white, and love being around rivers too haha.

Start time: June or July, it depends on when I can get out of my lease and weather in Maine.

Reasons for Thru Hiking:
1) I love nature and backpacking and have wanted to attempt a thru hike since I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Since then I have read about 8 books of people thru hiking and it became a life dream of mine.
2) I have been in a four year relationship that ended not too long ago. We were planning a cross country road trip for when we graduated, I was going to propose to her at Glacier NP then after returning home we were going to move to NC. Since that is no longer happening I have the funds and the time to do the hike. I also need to figure out what I am going to do with my life now.
3) I have several bad habits I need to stop like smoking
4) I need to learn patients.
5) I love adventure and meeting people, I figure this is a good way to do both.

Reason for hiking SOBO:
1) I graduate in May and NOBO is out of the question.
2) I don't like crowds and I feel like I would learn more about myself with less people around.
3) My dad's family lives in GA and it would be nice to end there and catch up with them.

Other:
-I have to leave the trail in September to be in my oldest brothers wedding.

I look forward to meeting everyone and having a great time! Good luck to everyone during your planning process.

tarantolk
12-20-2012, 20:57
Trail name: None yet, I'd prefer to get one on the trail. Lauren
Date: Mid-June

I'll be hiking with my boyfriend. We decided to SOBO because we're northerner's & want to "take the road less traveled".

I'm a pastry chef & will be leaving my job to thru-hike the AT.

I can't wait! Anyone else feel like they are going to jump out of their skin from excitement, it's insane.

Tree Nerd
12-20-2012, 21:25
I can't wait! Anyone else feel like they are going to jump out of their skin from excitement, it's insane.

haha, I have a case of senioritis that is getting worse and worse by the day!

mergleman
12-25-2012, 18:47
Trail Name: Rich for now. I was given the name Stix by some thru-hikers I met on a 4 day shakedown trip over Thanksgiving break. The name is special to me for that reason, but I am open to change it as I evolve during my hike.

Start Date: Haven't booked a spot at Baxter yet but ASAP after graduation on May 21.

Home: CT, far from the AT section.

Reason for SOBO: Late start date makes NOBO impossible. All the other advantages are just bonus. I will be keeping a journal I hope to turn into a book one day.

See you soon,
Rich/Stix

JadeSOBO
12-26-2012, 16:17
Trail name: TBD
From: I live in Portland, Oregon but will be in Freedom, Maine in May/June leading an outdoor adventure program

I have been itching to get on to a new adventure and this is the perfect logistical option for me right now in my life.

Chose SOBO due to the fact that I will be in Maine and have a great network there (ie: rides, leaving gear, etc.) I am also looking forward to starting in the 100 mile wilderness stretch.

I am currently flying solo but would love to hike the majority with someone – ping me at [email protected] if you are also heading out mid-July.

lumberjaime
12-27-2012, 00:41
Hey There!

I'm Henrie. I'm guessing I'll get a new name on the trail!
I grew up in Massachusetts, but currently living in St Paul Minnesota.
Like many others posting, I'll be graduating college in May. I'm starting June 1st, rain or shine, and blackflies be damned!
And yes, I'm just about jumping out of my skin with impatience!!

I wanted to go SOBO for two main reasons:
1) Avoid crowds!!
2) The White Mountains are like a second home to me. I've hiked the NH section before, worked two summers in the backcountry for the AMC, and done countless day hikes around the area. So, I know I can handle the challenge. Plus, it means that I have uncharted (for me) territory to look forward to, rather than ending in a (beautiful) familiar setting.

I really look forward to meeting y'all, and sharing smiles, laughs, and probably some tears, along the way!

Rock Lobster
01-07-2013, 00:06
Hi, I'm Bill, AKA Rock Lobstah from Chicago. I've hiked two long stretches of 1100 and 1000 miles in 2008 and this summer, respectively (including Shenandoah twice - it's one of the highlights of the trail). Because I hit the Whites in mid-October, the weather was dangerously bad, so the only stretch of trail I haven't done is from Monson to Franconia notch in NH.

I'm planning on starting from Katahdin again next summer and hiking south until I finish, and then possibly further. I teach, so I don't have to be back until late August. I figured it would be more fun to hike south with the Sobo crowd and finish with new friends than to hike north at the wrong time of year and be alone most of the time. I love the trail community and look forward to rejoining it for a while! Haven't decided when to start yet, but probably around mid to late June.

Some friends talked me into signing up for the Warrior Dash June 15, so I'll be heading out right after that. With travel, call it a June 17-18 start.

Originally I was planning to hike until I had to teach again, but my buddy suggested a cycle tour home and I was intrigued. So I'm hiking as far as Rutland (which will more than finish the trail for me) and then meeting him to bike home to Chicago via Montreal and Toronto. It's going to be a great summer! Hope to meet a lot of you out there!

degritz
01-12-2013, 13:48
I'm Dave, no trail name yet.

The trail is supposed to open up on the 15th of May, so that's when I plan on leaving MA to get dropped off.

I've never been on the AT before (PCT and the Sierra Nevada's mainly), and I figured a thru-hike would be a great introduction; its also a wonderful way to escape the world for a while.
SOBO appeals to me mainly because it is less popular, that and I love a challenge.

Jeff
01-12-2013, 14:50
Last year there was a very informative thread here on Whiteblaze that detailed the opening of Baxter's trail to the top of Katahdin for the last dozen years:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72592-Some-Katahdin-Stream-Campground-questions-answered&p=1274899&highlight=#post1274899

dwalsherz
01-13-2013, 23:23
Hi my name is Derick.
Trail name: none yet

I'm graduating high school in May and I've dreamt of hiking the trail for many years now. I need some time to figure out who I am and I think this trail will help.

Start: Early-Mid June

I'm traveling Sobo because I would be in a rush to make it to Katahdin if I did a Nobo. It'll be nice to see the changing colors in a different part of the country than if I went Nobo. I'm excited for this trip, honestly I wont be surprised if it changes my life.

Peace

eblooft
01-14-2013, 00:26
Name: Eric
Trail Name: None
Start: June 1st (rain or shine, bugs 'n all)

Going south after graduation. Can't wait, I was planning a NOBO in 2014 but moved it to this year cause I don't think I can wait that long. Planning on a 4-5 month trek to get it done. anybody interested in hiking together and or starting a group let me know...

jbhh
01-18-2013, 22:53
Name: Brett
Trail Name: (pending)
Start: June 8th

Going sobo because I'm graduating from UT in May, flying up on June 6th. Friend of mine finished sobo first week of december. Ever since he told me he was doing it I've just been researching about it. Guess I was just looking for something after graduation. Sick of looking at this computer screen every day.

EriKelly
01-22-2013, 19:29
NAME: Erik Kelly
TRAIL NAME: TBD
Start : first week of june

im going sobo because i live less than 2 hours from the whites and would like to be hiking towards something new and exciting. I can get a ride to khatadin and my house is still on the market. if all goes well it will be sold soon or else im letting the bank take it while i run for the hills literally =D

The Lone Trapper
01-23-2013, 12:53
Trail Name: Trapper (at least thats the plan)

Start Date: First week in June

Why SOBO: Probibly mostly because my good friend, Fiddler, Did it. and also because i dont really consider myself a people person. my friend Fiddler is planing on hiking to the White mountins and his cousin (not shure her trail name) is going to Pa. But im planing on going the whole way. its also to note that im planning on carying my fiddle. so anyone else carying an insturment would be fun to meet up with.

SOBOMAX
01-23-2013, 17:26
No trail name yet...
26 From albany NY

Have wanted to attempt a thru hike for the past 5 years but life kept getting in the way (school, work...) I've recently just made a change in career path and decided it was the perfect time to do a thru hike before I commit myself to my career.

Choose SOBO for pretty much same reasons everyone else... Plus I have a friend who did it NOBO... So I have to be different ha.. My lease is up in may I plan to hit trail first week of June!

Nomadog
02-24-2013, 23:10
Trailname: COPrHead
Chose S/B cause I prefer not start off in a heard of sheeple. Also I have to recover from my second brain surgery and a couple of life's transitions to take care of. I look forward to new frienships along the way

herewego
02-25-2013, 15:37
Trail Name: None yet

Start Date: Mid-July

Why SOBO: Just because no reason

TBRI
03-16-2013, 16:19
Hey ajba9009! I'm headed SOBO sometime in the first week of August. Thought I might be on my own with a start that late, but seems like there might be some other late-starting Southbounders out there. Hooray!

Rock Lobster
03-16-2013, 17:56
Hey ajba9009! I'm headed SOBO sometime in the first week of August. Thought I might be on my own with a start that late, but seems like there might be some other late-starting Southbounders out there. Hooray!

No worries TBRI. If you want company you can always find it on the AT. I started SOBO August 24 2008 and 6 of us summited Katahdin on the same day (counting a couple flip-floppers). While I did hike alone for up to a week at a time, there were always other hikers in the area and I met and hiked with several people and groups before getting off trail in late Nov in Shenandoah.

TBRI
03-17-2013, 01:34
No worries TBRI. If you want company you can always find it on the AT. I started SOBO August 24 2008 and 6 of us summited Katahdin on the same day (counting a couple flip-floppers). While I did hike alone for up to a week at a time, there were always other hikers in the area and I met and hiked with several people and groups before getting off trail in late Nov in Shenandoah. Thanks for the encouragement! I hear part of SOBO is to find more solitude (something I'm all too thrilled for), but sometimes ya just want another human to pass the time with.

Hatteras Jack
03-20-2013, 04:37
Hi! I don't have a trail name yet, although Hatteras Jack is a big maybe. I'd rather someone else give me my name.
From: South Carolina originally but I went to college in NC and now grad school in CA.
Starting: Not entirely sure, but I'd say June 10-15 is a pretty good guess.
Why Sobo: It's really just a time constraint deal. I get done with school in mid-may, and I'm going to a wedding in early June. I, like most people, envisioned myself hiking north but that's not how the cards played out. I'm in between grad school and a real-person job, so I figured I'd do something completely different in the meantime. Not to mention I have been dreaming about this for a few years.

I am really excited to make some friends on the trail! I'm typically pretty shy but there's something telling me that won't be the case on the trail. Can't wait.

d3ef
03-30-2013, 13:42
Trail Name: none yet
Start Date: June 19
Why SOBO? I'm graduating in May, so it would be too late for a NOBO hike. Plus my parents will give me a ride to Katahdin :D

Old Boots
03-30-2013, 14:34
Old Boots
hiked Ga and NC/TN last winter and spring. Will be starting @ end of June beginning of July. Hopefully black fly season will be over. Looking forward to it as I prefer wilderness settings.

gwb
04-01-2013, 09:21
No trail names. My wife and I are going together. Still on the down low because of work. We'll go with G and C for now...

from Lancaster, Pa.

Going South to avoid the herd... Plus the timing just works better for us. Leaving home July 1st.

How hard can this be it's just a walk in the woods? Jk... We have sectioned hiked a few hundred miles so far.

We cannot wait!!!! See you there

kenj
04-02-2013, 13:59
trail name: have not received one yet, so ken is fine for now

start date: hopefully around june 8

reason for sobo trip: easier to get to maine many friends and family willing to help drivedrive, and i rather enjoy and take it all in r than have to rush.

i look forward to meeting everyone out there!!!

Shepherd13
04-08-2013, 21:20
Trail Name: Shepherd

SOBO Starting June 20- then getting off July 8 for a wedding in South Dakota and then getting back on the 17th or 18th. Thankfully I have some retired future in-laws who are now traveling for a living and can cart me around for this first part.

I have wanted to hike the trail 10 yrs now. I am going to graduate with my masters in May and getting married in January and then working and what not. So I am doing this. The fact that I will be in great shape for my wedding is just a happy accident.

Focusing on my last month of school is difficult when my spare bedroom looks like an outfitters.

I am looking forward to seeing y'all out there.

wesleygalles
04-09-2013, 14:23
Name: Wesley
Trail Name: May go with Tex, unless I get named something better on trail. =D
SOBO starting: July 1st ( I think)

I'm actually looking at booking my ticket this week? Anyone care to message a bit and see if we can start together?

jbhh
04-12-2013, 01:30
Updated...
Name: Brett
Trail Name: narrowed down to Cowboy and Big Sky, thoughts appreciated...eff, just realized Big Sky sounds like Pig Sty :eek:
SOBO starting: Sunday, June 2nd

Finishing up at University of Tennessee, flying up to NY, aunt driving me from Stamford CT up to Millinocket.
Probably starting off relatively slow initially but like most I'll pick it up through the first couple weeks.

if anyone wants to meet up - email me: [email protected]

Hurtbox Jones
04-12-2013, 01:38
Trail Name: Hurtbox Jones

Start Date: July 4

Why SOBO: timing just worked out better for me leaving in July

jublue
04-21-2013, 20:45
Name: Julie, no trail name yet
Start Date: exact date still TBD but last week of June/first week of July

I work at a school and our last day is June 21st so I plan to start relatively soon after that. If anyone is starting around the same time and is interested in starting together, let me know!

ADBlaze
04-21-2013, 22:26
Good luck the 2013 SOBO's! Hope you all have an awesome time, I true believe it is the better direction to hike IMO. If y'all have any questions a fellow SOBO can help with minus the sarcastic somewhat usefull info I received when searching myself, lol I'd be happy to help.

-Snowman MEGA '12

chazychris
05-01-2013, 00:35
Name: I have no trail name as of yet. Perhaps the soil of rugged Maine can inspire one worthy? Most call me Brewster (my surname).
From: Severely Northern New York (near Canadian Border / across Lake Champlain from Vermont (most of last four years spent in New York City)
Starting from Katahdin: First week of June - 1 month from now!

The Appalachian Trail has been lounging in the back of my brain for some years - a romantic notion bedded down somewhere forward of the pineal gland. Sometime in October 2012, about a month into my senior year as an English major in New York, it occurred to me that graduate school did not seem a likely option for me. I am an autodidact by nature - and am regularly more inspired to poesy by lakes and mountain-vistas than professors or libraries. I cannot deny my history with academia - indeed, I'm sure I've spent more time in the library than most - but the open road is what calls me. So, last October, I gave up the ghost of thinking about graduation applications, and began instead to think about the AT.

I have since read several books, begun gear acquisition, and done some preliminary planning. I'm in quite ghastly shape - and that has not improved all that much - so I know a SOBO is going to be an incredible physical challenge for me during the first couple months. I am looking at this journey as a detox from modernity. I do not wish to escape my current times, as those so numerous golden age thinkers, but I know that, in order to make maximum effective use of the rest of my mortal days, I am in dire need of a change. I plan to thru-hike and then wing to Hawaii and work of organic farms there. I want to cultivate pineapples as I cultivate a better and more self-realized person behind my eyes and under my skin. The AT calls. I am so excited. I shall rush to meet the formidable challenge.

Mooch on!

Deacon
05-01-2013, 10:45
Autodidact. Now there's a word every hiker will know and appreciate.

Holdilocks
05-02-2013, 17:19
Trail Name: Not Yet

Start Date: First week of June

Why SOBO: scheduling wouldn't work for NOBO and kinda like that there won't be AS many people. I don't want to be exhausted with my hike by the time I see beautiful Maine!

CELTIC BUCK
05-03-2013, 00:09
A) try to get in some reasonably state of health & b) leave the books at home ; i've hiked parts of maine such as katadin and over in the border areas it can be a experience. Ps bring quality bug juice

Nomadog
05-03-2013, 12:59
Trailname: COPrHead
Start date: June 17thish, depends finding the right peeps to meet and go with

Why SOBO: avoiding the Sheeple stampede. Had to wait for my retirement. I so look forward to making the first steps into the second half of my life.

Jberczel
05-06-2013, 14:22
Name:
Jamie, no trail name yet

Fairfax, Va

Start Date:
Early June

Why SOBO?
Came back from backpacking in Europe and became unexpected owner of 2-year old korean jindo dog.
I plan to take her with me and later start date gave me more time to plan trip.

Looking for:
Either a ride up to Maine (i'd be happy to split costs) or renting car and looking for people or dogs to tag along.

jojeanfree
05-06-2013, 18:21
You are one of the few hikers I've seen in this forum who are leaving SOBO mid-July. I am too. I'm also originally from Iowa although I haven't lived there in years. I wouldn't mind hooking up with you at Katahdin to make it through the 100 mile wilderness with someone or with someone within earshot. You can check me out on FB if you are leary but don't be. I'm ready to do this thing. ~ Jojean

red14
05-06-2013, 19:28
Trail name: Phoenix
Why SOBO I've grown up hiking in VT and NH and it has always seemed natural to start in New England and go south. Avoiding the crowds is also a plus. As much as more solitude is nice, I would like to start out with some people, especially through the 100 mile wilderness. I haven't picked an exact date but I want to go sometime between June 3rd and June 9th. If anyone is interested in starting together or better yet getting a group to start together, let me know!

Coleus
05-14-2013, 00:37
Trail name: None given, but my nickname here on the farm is Wooly (aptly so), so I'll go by that until something else comes. Wooly Thundersquatch, esquire!

Origin: SW Oklahoma, currently working on a therapy farm in Vermont.

Start: ~July 11th

Why SOBO: I like fall more than spring. I don't mind cold (I've spent two years on trail crew in Maine and Alaska), but am not overfond of bugs, so the near-Yule end and possible snow in the Smokies doesn't daunt me (though I'm preparing thoroughly and will be cautious). I don't like super crowded situations, and had a friend do a SOBO who loved it. I believe it's about the journey not the destination. It's about hiking for half a year, not fetishizing one mountain.

Stur
05-24-2013, 09:47
Name: Eric, no real trail name yet, Stur on this website, From: Texas, near Houston, Start date: targeting first week of June, Why SOBO: to get the hardest part of the trail behind me, weather, fewer people. Looking for: alternative way to get to Maine. Am currently in Anniston, AL. So not looking forward to a bus ride. Train and plane cost more. Anyone near here "rental car-pooling"?

Lostinlife
05-25-2013, 14:14
Hi Eric, my name is Chris. Sorry.... I'm in PA and can't help with ride but I am taking a bus. Not as long as it would be from Alabama but...... I am looking at as just part of the adventure. I'm leaving June 1st. Taking bus to Bangor, then a friend is picking me up and driving me to medway and paying $50 for a ride from there to the trailhead. If u can get to Bangor on the 2nd, let me know and I can help u with transport from there. No trail name yet.... Username is lostinlife. Email is [email protected] good luck and see u on the trail.

Tree Nerd
05-25-2013, 15:06
Got my bus ticket today from Akron, OH to Bangor, ME. I have a transfer in New York City from midnight to 3am which I am not happy about.....I start on the 27th. So pumped!

mrcoffeect
05-25-2013, 16:09
both times i was to have a long lay over in new york, they put us on earlier bus, if we wanted. beause the earlier one was not full to cap.

lumberjaime
05-25-2013, 17:03
1 week to go! This is really going to happen, I think. Driving up on Friday, then walking up Big K on Saturday! I'm not sure of the proper adjective to describe my emotions, but anxi-citement sounds about right. Anybody else starting on the 1st?

tortoisemole
05-25-2013, 17:54
anyone ever do the 100m wilderness section early june with a tarp and bivy? Ive been warned that u must sleep on tent platforms making a tarp more difficult to use than a stand alone tent, and moreover, the flies mosquitos r so bad that u really need a tent. Is this so? Also what is an acceptable pace for a beginner on this section? thank u, (trail name tortoisemole)

rdljr
05-25-2013, 19:17
you can tent on the ground , but the bugs in early June could be very bad. predicting snow there tonight so the bugs may be a bit late this year.

tortoisemole
05-25-2013, 19:29
thnks, wondering if tea tree or catnip oil really work in repelling bugs

Andrew Ferk
05-28-2013, 16:23
Trail name: I don't have one yet/
Start date: July 5th
End date: This depends on if I finalize my plan to work 30 days on the trail. If I don't work, mid-November; if I do work, mid-December.
Why?: I just completed my Master's program and my three month work contract and my rent lease ends at the end of June.

theGABE
05-29-2013, 10:53
Name: Gabe
Trail name: None yet...
Start Date: Early July (2nd-5th)

Decided to try something big before I go off to college or the military. The idea of a long walk/hike has always appealed to me and when I learned about different long trails (AT, PCT, CD, etc...) I knew I had to try.

Austin_Knott
05-29-2013, 12:35
Name: Austin
Trail name: Waiting to get on the trail.
Start Date: June 21st

Have always been intrigued with the AT, hoping to make this one of the best & worst times of my life.

stompingfoote
05-29-2013, 20:28
Andrew
Pensacola,Fl

Starting June 13th

Can't wait!!!!!

chazychris
05-31-2013, 09:23
Update:

I'm taking a bus up to Bangor from Burlington, VT this Sunday (June 2) and should be in Millinocket by Monday night and at Katahdin on Tuesday morning.
Woo! Can't wait.

Tree Nerd
05-31-2013, 09:40
25 days till I leave! **** is gettin real!

lumberjaime
05-31-2013, 10:30
Good luck to all you SOBOs! I'm about to hop in the car to drive up to Millinocket!!

Stur
05-31-2013, 18:09
Eric, trail name: Khimo. Starting June 1st

Tolulah
06-03-2013, 18:32
Name: Amy
Trail name: wait for it....
Start Date: June 26 ::happy dance::

CoolBlue
06-09-2013, 10:20
Trail Name: Cool Blue

Start Date: July 2nd, Just booked a lean-to at Katahdin Stream for that night. If anyone needs a place to crash to start your SOBO feel free to PM me.

Why SOBO: Honestly, it came down to money. I was planning on starting NOBO in April but wanted more of a cushion for when I got back to "reality." So I have since saved up enough to be comfortable and I am actually very excited to be a part of the SOBO class. I expect it to be nothing short of fun and challenging.

coheterojo
06-09-2013, 19:22
Gonna do it one more time. Never done it sobo, can't stand normal life. Why not?

srvand02
06-17-2013, 13:11
With one week to go, I'll add my name to the list.

Name: Scott
Trail Name: None given yet
Start Date: 27th, although technically I'm doing an overnight approach

Cant wait to see yall out there

Alex Mills
06-23-2013, 13:19
Name: Alex
Trail Name: None given yet
Start Date: Summiting Katahdin on July 7th

We are blogging about our hike so check it out.
http://southbound2013.wordpress.com/