PDA

View Full Version : Spot ii gps

RedBeerd
06-05-2012, 20:06
Does anyone use one of these or have used them in the past? I saw a thru-hiker with one and just decided to look into it. You buy the 4oz GPS ($100) and an annual subscription ($100) and even I believe a $13 'insurance' for $30,000 in case you need to be rescued. You turn it on at camp, or whenever really, and hit a button that sends an OKAY message to your girlfriend/wife/mom/whoevers e-mail and a link to your location on Google Maps. Pretty cool I think. I will be hiking the Long Trail next month and know this would give my mom and girlfriend peace of mind and also fun for them to track my location. Also, for 4oz and a rescue button (covered on the gps, wouldnt want to hit that accidentally!) it could replace a small survival tin, for those who carry one, without much of a weight penalty. What do you all think?

judypudy
06-05-2012, 21:19
I use one - using on the AT for the first time this year. Yes, it gives your folks at home peace of mind. Have messaged from in from a boat in Doubtful Sound in NZ, the Forbidden City, and a glacier in Iceland. Not only is there that cool link to google maps in the email, but you can post that link on Facebook or Twitter if you want. And it can be used for search and rescue - I think someone with a hernia this year on the AT used a SPOT to get help.

Shutterbug
06-05-2012, 23:49
I use one. The SPOT is great, but if I were making the decision today, I would compare it with the Delorme InReach. I have not checked out the comparitave cost, but the features look good. The InReach can receive messages as well as send them.

10-K
06-06-2012, 08:39
It's a neat, very optional toy. I carry one sometimes if my wife asks me to but just between us I think it's a waste of $100 a year.

If most of my hikes were in more wildernessy areas I'd carry it more but on the AT and the trails I hike down south the risk/benefit ratio doesn't really justify the cost and weight.

UltraRunner
06-06-2012, 08:48
I spend a lot of time (solo) in the Sierras and always carry my Spot II. Well worth the money in my opinion. Fortunately, I've never had to use it for emergency purposes but my family and friends enjoy knowing I'm ok and my approximate whereabouts should something happen to me.

RedBeerd
06-06-2012, 11:57
So nobody has had problems? Reading the REI reviews the consensus seems to be its an unreliable cheap piece of crap from a company with the worst customer service ever. There are many reviews like this too.

UltraRunner
06-06-2012, 12:12
So nobody has had problems? Reading the REI reviews the consensus seems to be its an unreliable cheap piece of crap from a company with the worst customer service ever. There are many reviews like this too.
I'm referrring to the second generation Spot - not the first generation. The original Spot is a POS! Read the review on Backpackinglight.com. They put the Spot II through the ringer and it successfully sent 100% of their check-ins. I've contacted customer service on two occasions and they were quick to respond and resolve my issues. I can't vouch for others experiences with the device and customer service but I've been quite happy so far. Just my $0.02

RedBeerd
06-06-2012, 13:04
I'm referrring to the second generation Spot - not the first generation. The original Spot is a POS! Read the review on Backpackinglight.com. They put the Spot II through the ringer and it successfully sent 100% of their check-ins. I've contacted customer service on two occasions and they were quick to respond and resolve my issues. I can't vouch for others experiences with the device and customer service but I've been quite happy so far. Just my $0.02

The reviews were for the SPOT 2 actually but I do believe the BPL test and everyone else here has positive things to say..hmm.

10-K
06-06-2012, 13:14
Every single time I've used the SPOT it has worked as advertised.

bfayer
06-06-2012, 13:23
The reviews were for the SPOT 2 actually but I do believe the BPL test and everyone else here has positive things to say..hmm.

I have a Spot 2 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The batteries last a long time and when I hit the OK button my wife gets an email. That's what I paid for.

The other people I know that have one feel the same way.

I really can't say why other people have a had problem

I did meet one guy that did not like his, his complaint was it took to long to get a message out. He expected to turn it on, hit the button, turn it back off and put it in the pack. His worked fine, he just wanted it to work faster.

It doesn't work that way. Once you turn it on it takes a few to fix it's position and then a while to get the message out. I turn it on hit the ok button and let it sit for about 20 minutes to do it's thing. Works every time for me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Spokes
06-06-2012, 13:55
Depends on what you plan to use it for. Hiking in Third World countries or other extreme remote locations? Perhaps.

But if you're thru hiking the AT or going on kayak trips it's most likely a waste of money. Buying a Spot just to update your spouse or family? Get a Smartphone instead.

To me, the sales/marketing of Spot devices is akin to what the funeral industry does - prey on your emotions.

I mean you can "what-if" any scenario to the point of absurdness right?

10-K
06-06-2012, 14:03
Depends on what you plan to use it for. Hiking in Third World countries or other extreme remote locations? Perhaps.

But if you're thru hiking the AT or going on kayak trips it's most likely a waste of money. Buying a Spot just to update your spouse or family? Get a Smartphone instead.

To me, the sales/marketing of Spot devices is akin to what the funeral industry does - prey on your emotions.

You forgot to say you could carry a Snickers instead. :)

RedBeerd
06-06-2012, 15:18

Is there a way to use my Droid to send okay messages when I have no service or GPS coordinates so family could track my progress? It is a fun way to get others involved in the hike. I could just not check in often..but you can work that one out with my mother..

RedBeerd
06-06-2012, 15:38
How would google latitude work? If the person on the other end doesnt have a smartphone, could they use a google latitude account and track me from a computer? This wouldnt need cell reception, just gps. Any thoughts?

Spokes
06-06-2012, 16:16
How would google latitude work? If the person on the other end doesnt have a smartphone, could they use a google latitude account and track me from a computer? This wouldnt need cell reception, just gps. Any thoughts?

You can share your location with Google Latitude with friends without a smartphone? You'll still need connectivity but that's not really too much of a problem on the AT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Oq-9enE-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are lots of "stay in touch options" with a smartphone. Why not set up a free Wordpress (.com) blog then add an audio updates by using the post-by-voice option? Or download the AudioBoo app and do audio updates through WordPress or Twitter?

Golly Spot can't do all that.......

...... And yes, as 10-K mentioned, I'd rather ditch the Spot and replace it with equal weight in Snicker Bars.

mtnkngxt
06-09-2012, 16:56

Generalizations in general aren't often accurate, be it about the "funeral industry" or the usefulness of Emergency Beacons. On the AT there may not be much use for a beacon, but for those in the Sierra High Country and other remote locations, it could be the difference between life and death.

quilteresq
06-09-2012, 18:31
I just got an InReach but haven't activated it yet. Not only will I use it on the AT, but in the Whites, and even on our mountain property. If I were to get injured at the top of the property alone, I'd be in a lot worse shape in terms of likely short term rescue than I would on the AT. And it pairs with my iPhone for short text messages.