PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in San Francisco before JMT hike

Two of a Kind
06-06-2012, 13:39
Hello,
I am preparing to hike the JMT this August...I am using Elizabeth Wenk's book which pretty much explains how to get from San Fran to Yosemite.
She suggests taking the BART from the airport to Richmond, AMTRAK from Richmond to Merced and the YARTS bus to Yosemite.

..just wondering if anyone else has anything to add, and most importantly, where is a good place to stay either near the airport or near the BART.

We fly in and arrive early evening and want to leave for Yosemite the next morning. Our hike officially starts the day after that. So any advice about where to stay prior to our hike or getting to Yosemite is appreciated.

thanks,
Lisa and John
(Two of a Kind)

Bloomer
06-06-2012, 17:14
Are you flying into San Fran or Oakland? Either way you can catch the train and arrive into the city. Since you not staying in SF for any time, I wouldn't stay in or around the misson district or any other tourist traps around Fisherman's Warf. There are plenty of places to crash around the airport and easy access to train stations.

Two of a Kind
06-06-2012, 18:03
We are flying into San Fran.

fiddlehead
06-06-2012, 22:12
Chance to see some of the city and maybe the best Chinese food in the USA.
I would check out: Haight/Ashbury, Golden Gate, and definitely China town (which has cheap hotels comparably)

I would've flown into Reno to get to Yosemite instead of San Fran, but, while you are there, there's a LOT to see in that city.

schnikel
06-10-2012, 20:38
My wife and I stayed close to the financial district. It was pricey but we could walk 4 blocks to pick up the Amtrack that left at like 4:30am. Everywhere is expensive in San Fran, I would think about that will make it easy for you getting into YOS, because you will be pumped to get there and any delay would suck.
Schnikel

SassyWindsor
06-11-2012, 11:43
South of SFO.