PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lenses or Glasses?

LadybugPicnic
06-06-2012, 13:54
Sorry, this is probably a stupid question - I did a search and didn't find anything. Anyway, I am thru hiking starting in March of 2013 and I wear contacts and prefer them over my glasses. For those who wear contacts, did you choose to wear them or your glasses when you hiked? For those who chose to wear your contacts, was it much of a hassle? I like to take my contacts out every day, but may choose to wear contacts that you can keep in over several days, which is what I have done for longer hikes (2 weeks). I've never thru hiked, so would appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you! :)

Hikes in Rain
06-06-2012, 20:20
Not stupid at all. I'm a little surprised you didn't come up with anything, though, since this comes up from time to time.

If you're used to contacts, by all means wear them. Just make sure to wash your hands well, just like at home. I like a little wash basin I made from the bottom half of a gallon jug. My cookset fits inside it, so it doesn't take up any space, and it's practically weightless. Bring a backup pair, and/or your glasses. (I take both. Unavoidable weight, oh well.) Smaller bottles of solution are generally available.

P1nkPanther
06-06-2012, 20:44
Allergies limit how long I wear contacts in every day life, so I opt for glasses while hiking. But as an alternative, instead of getting contacts that I can wear multiple days on end, I have 1-day disposable contacts and bring a few sets as a backup in case I break my glasses. I'm not sure 1-a-days are worth the space if you are not planning drop boxes or other specialty resupply (although 1-800-contacts works now through most super Walmarts so if you have a script in their system...). I like the idea of wearing a fresh sterile pair of contacts when I hike and not worrying about solution so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

glaux
06-07-2012, 06:45
I've experimented with 1-a-days, because I didn't want to be carrying a lot of solution. I used a pair of glasses for back-up, and for early morning (I have to be awake to figure out where my eyeball is without a mirror). The 1-a-days take up a bit of space, but not much weight.

I don't know how feasible this is for long hikes, though. They are more expensive, and you'd have to deal with getting them shipped to you regularly.

But I *love* hiking without glasses, especially in the rain. I only had glasses for years, and just got contacts for the first time this year. I feel like I can see so much more, with actual peripheral vision, and no foggy glasses in the rain. I'm going to stick with contacts if I can.

Hikes in Rain
06-07-2012, 08:06
Regarding the glasses, be sure you have a hard case to protect them. A nice one can be found in the Dollar stores. Hard shell plastic, weighs a fraction of an ounce, hard enough to be really crush proof, mine came in bright turquoise so I can see it even without corrective lenses, and only costs, well, a dollar!

Ender
06-07-2012, 09:16
I used exclusively contacts on my AT thru, and it worked great. On my PCT attempt I also brought along glasses for night time, but sent them home after just a couple weeks. It was just easier to put in the contacts right after I woke up, and take them out right before I fell asleep.

The one thing I would suggest would be a little hand towel just for changing your contacts to wash your hands clean beforehand. That's what I did, and I had no issues at all.

Adfischer
06-07-2012, 10:55
+1 on the one day lenses. A box of 20 weigh 1.8 oz. There is plenty of material to cut down that could probably get you closer to 1oz. Not having to deal with the hassle of cleaning and solutions is great. You could probably carry a months worth of contacts for the same weight as the cleaning solutions.

Hikes in Rain
06-07-2012, 11:00
That's what I'd do, if I could get the one days in my prescription. I've got a tough one. And Ender's suggestion on the dedicated towel is a good one, that I neglected to mention. I got one of the PacTowels after finding that the old terricloth (?) hand towels never quite got dry on longer trips. For use in blotting the excess drips from insertion, the PacTowels seem softer to me that the more reasonably priced knockoffs. It was worth the couple of extra $$ to me for that softness.

Prada
06-07-2012, 11:03
I bring both. My trail name came from me wearing my Prada glasses on the trail, so you can bet I wear em a lot!

Glasses stink though if it's even a little humid... not to metion raining. Once you get hiking all you get is fogged up lenses.

+1 on the basin made from the bottom of a milk jug. I do the same thing. It really helps get your hands CLEAN enough to put in your lenses or take them out.

I recently switched to extended wear contacts (can wear constantly for up to 30 days) so on days I don't want to take them out on the trail, it's no big deal. They're wonderful.

LadybugPicnic
06-07-2012, 11:24
Thank you very much for your responses and advice, it is extremely helpful!

FlyPaper
06-07-2012, 11:43
Sorry, this is probably a stupid question - I did a search and didn't find anything. Anyway, I am thru hiking starting in March of 2013 and I wear contacts and prefer them over my glasses. For those who wear contacts, did you choose to wear them or your glasses when you hiked? For those who chose to wear your contacts, was it much of a hassle? I like to take my contacts out every day, but may choose to wear contacts that you can keep in over several days, which is what I have done for longer hikes (2 weeks). I've never thru hiked, so would appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you! :)

I have contacts that I rarely use, but my vision is good enough that I can hike completely without any corrective lenses and barely notice. I usually bring glasses for night (my vision is more blurred at night) whether or not I have contacts for the day.

Most people bring hand sanitizer for the trail. If you are using contacts, I would suggest actual soap, or at least a small piece cut from a bar of soap. Get a buddy to pour water over your hands like a Wal-Mart motion detecting faucet. You can wash your hands and use just a few ounces of water. Avoid touching your water bottle with soap on your hands because that leaves residue. I would keep the soap away from water sources.

Soap actually cleans your hands, whereas hand sanitizer just kills germs (and burns when you subsequently put contacts in). It is a bit hard to put contacts in without a mirror, in the cold, and with wind, but it can be done. There is no reason you can't take them out every day, other than the extra weight of more contact solution. Make sure you get the travel size.

I would NEVER hike with glasses. With the sweat and possibly rain, they will be constantly fogged up and clouded.

Hikes in Rain
06-07-2012, 14:38
Nothing like a bit of residual hand sanitizer in the eye to get your attention, is there? Almost as bad, though, is near-freezing contacts. That'll wake you up faster than a big cup of double-strong coffee with a shot of espresso! Bringing the case into your sleeping bag to warm it up a bit is a great excuse for lazing in bed in the morning.

Andrewsobo
06-07-2012, 14:59
The question on my mind is whether or not to bring the glasses case. I mean, the only time my glasses won't be on my head is while sleeping, so why bring it? I'm just going to put my glasses in a tent pocket while I sleep, so there is no real chance of stepping on them or anything, and the rest of the time they will be on.

Derek81pci
06-07-2012, 16:35
I hike with both. I also carry alcohol wipes. The small little 3 fold ones. They weigh nothing and are nice to have for cuts and scrapes as well. The hand sanitizer thing doesn't work for me. There always seems to be a film that stings my eye as soon as I blink.

Papa D
06-07-2012, 21:04
I've hiked a few thousand miles in glasses - - stepped on them once, I think and made a field repair - - occasionally a pain in the rain but better than things with solution to deal with in my eyes.

LadybugPicnic
06-08-2012, 10:37
I have worn my contacts for so many years that switching to glasses full-time would be a difficult transition for me I think, but I am sure I would get used to it. My preference, though, is to wear my contacts and with so many great suggestions and ideas, I will wear my contacts for the hike and bring my glasses as a back-up. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions as some of you have addressed areas I would not have even considered.

What a wonderful community! :)