PDA

View Full Version : need help with AT hike from DAlton Mass

Chicken Feathers
06-06-2012, 22:27
I am arriving in Pittsfield Mass. on July 4 and I was planning on catching bus to Dalton but just found out that bus service does not operate on July 4th. So I need shuttle. Can anyone help or tell me who I might call? Also I am think about not cooking from Dalton to Katahdin. but not sure what I will eat beside peanut butter and cheese.need any suggestions you might have. Thanks

nehiker
06-06-2012, 23:05
I am arriving in Pittsfield Mass. on July 4 and I was planning on catching bus to Dalton but just found out that bus service does not operate on July 4th. So I need shuttle. Can anyone help or tell me who I might call?

There are taxis in town. It is also an easy, flat walk, about hour if you do not get lost.

Driver8
06-07-2012, 00:37
How are you getting to Pittsfield, CF? Can you get to Dalton by that means? If not, it's not too far between the two towns, as nehiker said. Inexpensive cab ride or mellow walk.

I'm sure others can give more input on your food questions, but nuts and dried fruits will go a long way, together with peanut butter.

cave man
06-07-2012, 00:58
I started from there last year and walked from the train station to the grocery store then took a taxi to the trail head bc it started to get dark. It wasnt a bad walk but next time i will just take a taxi from the train station. I would have rather spent the two hour road walk on the trail. also i cut through the neighborhood and would reccomend others to stay on the main roads.

Don H
06-07-2012, 08:03
Tuna salad, chicken chunks, spam all in the foil packs in a wrap or on flat bread.

Chicken Feathers
06-07-2012, 11:30
Tuna salad, chicken chunks, spam all in the foil packs in a wrap or on flat bread.
Thanks for the information. What do you think about me not cooking from Dalton Mass to Katahdin

Chicken Feathers
06-07-2012, 11:33
Thanks I think I will take a taxi I am directional challenged.

cave man
06-08-2012, 01:45
I would recommend bringing something to boil water in, a cup or small pot would be fine. In my opinion it would only be a matter of time before you wanted a hot dinner during a cold NH/MA night while at camp.

For the weight of a cup or small pot, you can add alot more food options to your menu. classic lightweight dinners are pasta sides, ramen noodles, instant mashed potatoes, couscous, rice,spaggetti and easymac. They all require 1-2cups of hot/boiling water. This beats bagels and pepperoni 3/5 times in my book. The other 2 times im either in town, or eating a cold dinner such as a tuna wrap or a sandwich.

For breakfast without cooking you could do cereal, bagels, hell anything you want. The only thing i cooked in the morning was oatmeal and be on my way with a bagel in hand.

You will find your own food niche on the trail. Somethings will work for you, some may not and sometimes you will get cravings for things you dont usually eat. And the best part is that if you decide you want to start cooking more, there are plenty of places to gear up. Or if cooking isnt your thing you can easily mail stuff home.

The best would be something titanium, its a little pricy but its super lightwieght and you can pack your delicate foods in it for save travels untill camp. Dont forget a nice small fork for eating or it could get messy. Again, buy something that will last and is light weight, it could be something you use everyday and you dont want to keep getting plastic forks at every gas station, plus they melt real quick in hot water.

Also dont worry about a cooking system unless cooking over an open fire is not for you.

lemon b
06-08-2012, 05:44
PM right around when you head out. Too soon to know the kid schedule.

Chicken Feathers
06-08-2012, 16:01
PM right around when you head out. Too soon to know the kid schedule.
Lemon I am leaving Atlanta July 3rd and staying at the hostile in Boston. The next day I will catch train to Pittsfield should get there by 4:00pm I hope. Thanks I (my wife) will let you know when I am in Boston. Do not have cell phone