PDA

View Full Version : IDEA - Who wants to hike the AT fully sponsored (with all expenses paid)?

McBride
06-06-2012, 23:59
I NOBO hiked the AT in 2009 with a GPS logger and recently stumbled upon this gem from a Google Maps video presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Go to 35min 34sec and you'll quickly catch the drift of this idea. It seems rather likely to me that there would be GIS based groups, universities, or even the forest service that would be interested in paying someone to hike the AT (or any other long distance trail) to gather data. I realize that there are limitations on the daily usage of batteries/other issues, but I imagine that this type of torture test for equipment would potentially interest Google in funding a hike to allow for further development of the technology.

One other thought is that it may make the most sense in a section hike / group hike / supported hike. the supported part is pretty obvious I guess, but still could be a great way for anyone interested in GIS or hiking in general to make a name for themselves. Not to mention a cheap (if not free) through hike.

Just a thought, what are yours?

-McBride
GA-ME 2009

Gerardi4055
06-13-2012, 19:46
Great Idea Mcbride! I just spoke with Luc Vincent(the guy presenting the technology), and he is on board! There are obvious details that still need to be worked out, but it looks like I may be lugging that pack along on my 2013 thru hike. It's a good thing that: 1) It is weatherproof, and 2) I'm hiking with 3 buddies that are capable of assisting with my gear. I'll keep you informed on the growth of your brain child!

-Shawn

scree
06-13-2012, 19:54
Looks like it'll be a blast at Mahoosuc.

pheldozer
06-13-2012, 20:04
I NOBO hiked the AT in 2009 with a GPS logger and recently stumbled upon this gem from a Google Maps video presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Go to 35min 34sec and you'll quickly catch the drift of this idea. It seems rather likely to me that there would be GIS based groups, universities, or even the forest service that would be interested in paying someone to hike the AT (or any other long distance trail) to gather data. I realize that there are limitations on the daily usage of batteries/other issues, but I imagine that this type of torture test for equipment would potentially interest Google in funding a hike to allow for further development of the technology.

One other thought is that it may make the most sense in a section hike / group hike / supported hike. the supported part is pretty obvious I guess, but still could be a great way for anyone interested in GIS or hiking in general to make a name for themselves. Not to mention a cheap (if not free) through hike.

Just a thought, what are yours?

-McBride
GA-ME 2009
get brunton or another one of the companies that sells portable chargers/solar panels to co-sponsor, and the GPS system wouldn't ever run out of batteries! (in theory)

Gerardi4055
06-13-2012, 21:59
According to him, these aren't powerful enough to charge the equipments "Beefy" battery...Great thought though! We're thinking of contacting the ATC to see if they could have fresh batteries waiting at points along the trail...

Wombat Farm
06-13-2012, 22:09
wouldn't work for me since I'm pretty anti GPS-carrying. LOL But do appreciate the awesome maps created as a result of those willing to do this! :banana

Minnitonka
06-14-2012, 01:09
Maybe someone will make a reality tV show about thru hiking the AT and pay those who complete it... I could totally see that with the way TV has gone now a days, but it would probably have to be a group of thru hikers

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 01:19
Maybe someone will make a reality tV show about thru hiking the AT and pay those who complete it... I could totally see that with the way TV has gone now a days, but it would probably have to be a group of thru hikersYep,and bring some sectioner,and day hikers to rotate through and stir the pot a little,some quality programing there,can't be any worse than jersey whore,or mob wives.

Driver8
06-14-2012, 01:44
This is awesome. I think a team of three or four thrus would be the way to go, and skipping Mahoosuc Notch would probably be in order. If Google is willing to spend a quarter million dollars or so on it, aside from the gear itself, it would work - money to ATC and/or AMC for storing battery packs, or maybe the way to go would be a sort of Jennifer Pharr-Davis every-day-supported-hike approach. I think it would be fun.

Iceaxe
06-14-2012, 01:50
Had a friend hike for a magazine carrying GPS on a different trail.
I hiked while raising money for charity.
Either way there is an outside "pressure" involved that is non existant when one hikes solely for themselves.
I am not saying to NOT do a "sponsored" hike or even a hike where all the money goes to charity like i did.
Just be aware that when you read your trail journals or someone hands you a twenty dollar bill, you WILL feel a certain pressure.
For my friend who mapped the trail; he had to carry dozens of AA batteries to keep the GPS alive as well as keep his pathway relevant to the "mainstream" trail track so to speak.
I funded my own hike but felt no less pressure as people who donated to charity in my name expected they were donating to a "winning horse" (or at least i imagined it that way).
Definitely not against either type of hike.
Just be aware of the pressure involved. (Real or self created)
You may not think there will be.. just wait until you get that first email, letter, or blog post on Trail Journals or Postholer, from someone who donated to your cause.
You think family is hard to let down.. try friends and even worse.. strangers.
It is not a bad thing at all.. just a different trip than hiking under your own steam.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 02:17
Well,I'm in the "You couldn't pay me to hike your hike"school,not even for a $1,ooo,ooo,and that's no bull sh-t,not one stinking penny!Not for a reality show.

Gerardi4055
06-14-2012, 13:35
I'd like to clarify that I volunteered to do this...There would be no payday involved. My three hiking partners and I are motivated by the contribution we could make toward science. Well, that, and I would put it on my resume!

-Shawn
B.S.-Environmental Science

Heald
06-14-2012, 14:18
How would the "Trekker" react to rain? I've seen shots from the "Google Car" in the rain. The images were completely useless. It does rain out there. Sometimes for weeks on end with little let up, and sometimes not.

Miami Joe
06-15-2012, 03:43
Someone at my work actually DID complete a thru-hike all expenses paid, but that was when newspapers could spend money on anything.

JoshAuerbach
06-15-2012, 11:25
Am I the only one shaking my head, thinking "oh god.. just what we need.. big brother on the trail.."

Sly
06-15-2012, 13:47
I'd like to clarify that I volunteered to do this...There would be no payday involved. My three hiking partners and I are motivated by the contribution we could make toward science. Well, that, and I would put it on my resume!

-Shawn
B.S.-Environmental Science

I'd hardly call it contribution to science. How would it seriously benefit mankind? But as long as your partners are willing to carry your gear....

Also, you do realize the Trail isn't trimmed to such heights? It seems a little top heavy, and with the ducking, you'll most likely be falling over quite often. A contraption like that is better suited for western trails.

flemdawg1
06-15-2012, 15:18
Just make sure you turn off the camera during potty breaks.

MyName1sMud
06-15-2012, 16:50
That's awesome.

So in the future we will have a local WBer to thank for some awesome maps!

Gerardi4055
06-15-2012, 20:39
I'm making far more of a contribution to science than sitting at my computer, leaving negative comments on whiteblaze.

"Hike your own hike"

jump start
06-17-2012, 15:52
Ditto rocketsocks and iceaxe. However- HYOH.

Toon
06-18-2012, 11:33
stupid idea

Spokes
06-18-2012, 13:35
Am I the only one shaking my head, thinking "oh god.. just what we need.. big brother on the trail.."

Nope. I agree with you. I get just as frustrated when every time you turn around somebody is doing a hike for "charity" and bugging people for money.

Blah, blah, blah...

RED-DOG
06-18-2012, 13:49
I like the idea of doing a reality T.V show about Thru-hikers, but in order to qualify for the show, a person would have to have at least one thru under their belt. no newbies aloud. i would do that. RED-DOG.:cool:

McBride
02-09-2013, 03:02
So Gerardi,

Any news? it's getting close to the 2013 start!

McBride
02-09-2013, 03:07
Great Idea Mcbride! I just spoke with Luc Vincent(the guy presenting the technology), and he is on board! There are obvious details that still need to be worked out, but it looks like I may be lugging that pack along on my 2013 thru hike. It's a good thing that: 1) It is weatherproof, and 2) I'm hiking with 3 buddies that are capable of assisting with my gear. I'll keep you informed on the growth of your brain child!

-Shawn

So Gerardi,

-McBride

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 03:11
I like the idea of doing a reality T.V show about Thru-hikers, but in order to qualify for the show, a person would have to have at least one thru under their belt. no newbies aloud. i would do that. RED-DOG.:cool:But Red-Dog, all the TV reality shows have Green horns....who would carry the watermelon?:D

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 03:12
So Gerardi,

-McBridePretty cool McBride!

broken arrow
02-09-2013, 05:41
i will never hike googles hike! lol