PDA

View Full Version : Steripen vs Filter. Are viruses an issue?

Timinator
06-07-2012, 00:39
I just bought a steripen today and as with many stories I hear, it was defective. The sensors were whacked and it functions out of water and it doesn't function in water, if I wasn't wearing sunglasses I might have been in trouble lol. Well anyway this got me thinking if I want to rely on such a device to clean my waters on my Cdt trip. I noticed that there aren't any filters worth taking that get rid of viruses but I'd rather use a filter then the ever faulty steripen. What are the chances of encountering a waterborne virus out there? Thnx

Not Sunshine
06-07-2012, 05:25
I would think if you've been properly vaccinated against polio and hep A, you'd be okay. Check out what wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases) has to say under "viruses"

Grits
06-07-2012, 06:16
Five years and a few hundred gallons of water with my steripen ain't been sick or dead yet :welcome

Don H
06-07-2012, 08:00
I used a SteriPen last year on my thru. Had it replaced twice, the company was real good about sending a replacement to the nearest PO.
IThe SP kills everything but if you're worried about viruses a few drops of bleach will work.

fredmugs
06-07-2012, 08:09
I just used mine for the first time in the 100 MW. Worth every penny.

bfayer
06-07-2012, 09:08
Have not had a problem with mine. Several years old, and I use it on scout trips so it has had a workout.

I have the original Adventure not the new opti.

I don't think viruses in water are a big issue on the east coast if you are careful about where you get your water. Viruses are carried by people and animals and gennerally cannot reproduce wihout a host.

If the water source is not downstream of a farm or a population of people I don't think viruses are that significant of a concern in most sources of AT drinking water. You have a much better chance of picking up a virus by using a privy or reading the shelter log.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 10:32
The SP kills everything but if you're worried about viruses a few drops of bleach will work.

Just being nit-picky, but the Steripen does not kill, it sterilizes, meaning it renders the critters "sterile," as in unable to reproduce.

I've had a Steripen Classic for several years and the only problems I've had have been bad batteries or operator error (trying to use without dry contacts).

However, I understand that hiking out west involves getting water from sources that cattle use and thus are actually dirty (muddy) with dirt and needs to be filtered for that reason.

If a user plans to use bleach or any chemical purifier, it is critical to understand how long it takes for that to be effective (as in, up to 4 hours or more with some or in some situations).

Rain Man

Timinator
06-07-2012, 10:55
So basically don't use a filter on the Cdt then? Since most of my water sources are cattle buckets and what not. I'd assume a high probability for viruses.

Snowleopard
06-07-2012, 12:31
Viruses are a potential concern -- hepatitis A, norovirus, Rotavirus, Adenovirus, Hepatitis E (HEV), Coxsackievirus, Echovirus, Reovirus, Astrovirus, Coronavirus (SARS) . http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58170
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=21774&disable_pagination=1

Filters are good for removing protozoa (giardia, cryptosporidium) because they're big. The better filters will reliably remove bacteria, but not viruses. Sawyer makes a filter that they claim removes virus but it's not great for trail use.

Chemical treatments work best on virus and bacteria, so a combination of a filter and chemical covers you. Chemicals take a very long time to treat for giardia and crypto(4 hours).

atmilkman
06-07-2012, 12:43
I thought chemical treatment took a long time also, but I just hiked with someone who used aquamira and said it was ready to drink in 15 min. Is this correct? Have they changed something that makes this possible?

Velvet Gooch
06-07-2012, 12:44
I have the original Adventure not the new opti.

Same here. I've been using the original (yellow trim) Adventurer for years without issue. Guess I've been lucky

Timinator
06-07-2012, 12:54
I'm in vey deep thought whether I want to switch out steripen for a katadyn filter. Steripen ensures everything dies but I can't have it fail on me when I'm 100 miles from nothing. On the other hand katadyn filters are perfect except the fact they don't remove viruses. Hmmmmm much to ponder.

Velvet Gooch
06-07-2012, 13:30
I'm in vey deep thought whether I want to switch out steripen for a katadyn filter. Steripen ensures everything dies but I can't have it fail on me when I'm 100 miles from nothing. On the other hand katadyn filters are perfect except the fact they don't remove viruses. Hmmmmm much to ponder.

I always carry 10 tablets of KATADYN in my FASK as a backup

bfayer
06-07-2012, 13:31
Same here. I've been using the original (yellow trim) Adventurer for years without issue. Guess I've been lucky

I don't. Know if its luck. I use quality batteries, clean the contacts between uses and follow the instructions.

I am not saying it is a perfect product, but it works for me. Some people that have borrowed it could not get it working. I watched them and they pushed the button and stuck it in the water before the green light came on, or they waited till it went off before submerging the lamp. I have also had people that could not push the button when it was cold out. For me it works fine.

Its too bad it does not work for others, because it is great knowing I can drink in less than 2 minutes and not have to worry about any of the critters the others miss. It would be great if they could get this thing to 100% for everyone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
06-07-2012, 13:48
Every system has its drawbacks.

Filters don't get viruses.
UV doesn't work in cloudy water and can malfunction (for some).
Chemicals take time to work and can be also less effective with cloudy water.

Nothing is perfect. So unless you want to carry all three, pick your preference.

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 14:35
I thought chemical treatment took a long time also, but I just hiked with someone who used aquamira and said it was ready to drink in 15 min. Is this correct? Have they changed something that makes this possible?

I recommend you check with the horse's mouth ... go directly to the Aquamira folks and ask them. One thing I find by reading chemical treatment labels, fine print, and disclaimers is... that you have to read them CLOSELY.

Sure, one might say 15 minutes, but then you find out that's only for one kind of organism and not for all organisms. It's definitely "buyer beware," in other words.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 14:40
.... Steripen ensures everything dies .... ... katadyn filters are perfect except the fact they don't remove viruses.

Sorry, but you've said two things wrong there, I think. Steripen doesn't kill anything. It simply sterilizes them, so that they are sterile (cannot reproduce). The result is pretty much the same, i.e., you can safely drink the water. But you are drinking live organisms,... as you have all your life.

And Katadyn filters are not perfect. They clog up with silt. They freeze in the winter. They are "heavy." Some users are clueless about keeping the intake (dirty) and the output (clean) water tubes completely separated at all times. And, I had a hiking buddy pull the plunger completely out of the cyclinger and lost the collar ring. I was able to order a replacement.

Nothing's perfect. I have both a Katadyn and a Steripen (and chemical treatments).

As Odd Man Out said, "every system has its drawbacks."

So, you simply choose your poison. Pun intended.

Rain Man

Timinator
06-07-2012, 15:11
Just went out And replaced the steripen that had defective sensors and now I have one with a defective lamp. I'm going to give steripen one more try before I go buy a katadyn pocket. It's heavy and expensive but from what I read the other katadyn filters will need replacement in weeks if you don't filter already clean sources which is what I'm trying to avoid.

slowfeet
06-07-2012, 15:16
don't give up.... my first steripen (adventure opti) had what I consider a defective bulb

there was a tint shift (blue to dull purple) in the bulb.... might not have been defective but my replacement is a solid light blue light and seems a lot brighter.

I've been using mine for a little over 2 months at home with rechargeables and no issues AFAIK.

I'll also be carrying a small dropper(2ml?)(weighs 5g filled, good for about 30 drops/5-6 liters) bottle of MSR sweetwater for backup

Odd Man Out
06-07-2012, 16:02
Just went out And replaced the steripen that had defective sensors and now I have one with a defective lamp. I'm going to give steripen one more try before I go buy a katadyn pocket. It's heavy and expensive but from what I read the other katadyn filters will need replacement in weeks if you don't filter already clean sources which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Timinator - Check out the recent threads about the Sawyer squeeze filter. There are many happy campers. If you don't like filters that are heavy, expensive, and tend to clog, note that the Sawyer is the least expensive filter (on REI - costs a fraction of the Katady Pocket). Also the lightest (a < 3 oz, not much heavier than Aqua Mira bottles). Also, the filter can be easily cleaned in the field and has essentially a lifetime guarantee. Squeeze filtering is also faster, easier, and more reliable than pumps. Most of the old objections to filters need to be reconsidered with some of the newer products out there.

Don H
06-07-2012, 16:24
Timinator, Water treatment is a subject worth doing some research on. There are no easy one size fits all answers. Each system has its pros and cons. Backpackinglight.com has some good articles on water treatment like this one:
EFFICACY OF CHEMICAL WATER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIESIN THE BACKCOUNTRY
By Erica McKenzie and Dr. Ryan Jordan

leaftye
06-07-2012, 17:09
Chemicals work better on cleaner water, so filtering first should require fewer chemicals than usual to get what's left.

There's also a pressurized filter with a ridiculous name that I can't remember. Combining the bag and pump from that system with a Sawyer virus filter element might be efficient enough to suit your needs.

Well, searching for "pressurized backpacking filter" found exactly what I was talking about.
http://www.geigerrig.com/product-benefits/clean-h2o.html

Timinator
06-07-2012, 17:10
Timinator - Check out the recent threads about the Sawyer squeeze filter. There are many happy campers. If you don't like filters that are heavy, expensive, and tend to clog, note that the Sawyer is the least expensive filter (on REI - costs a fraction of the Katady Pocket). Also the lightest (a < 3 oz, not much heavier than Aqua Mira bottles). Also, the filter can be easily cleaned in the field and has essentially a lifetime guarantee. Squeeze filtering is also faster, easier, and more reliable than pumps. Most of the old objections to filters need to be reconsidered with some of the newer products out there.
Ya I was looking at that but it only filters stuff up to .1 microns as opposed to .02-.03 of most other things plus there's no official listing as to filter life that I could find, the one million gallon guarantee is just a replacement guarantee which won't help me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I'm actually going to get something called the Camelbak All Clear http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/2012-All-Clear.aspx which is like a water bottle with a steripen cap. I've yet to find any testimonials on it in which it failed or was defective and the battery lasts like 16 gallons per charge. As much as I want to use a steripen it makes me too nervous with all The failure stories I hear.

leaftye
06-07-2012, 17:26
It's not as if a filter element suddenly stops working. That's why some people love the simplicity of inline filter elements. It gets progressively slower. You can back flush it on the trail or in town. The only big risk is of freezing the filter. Pumps and electronic sterilizers do fail suddenly. No warranty is going help you with that when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Don H
06-07-2012, 21:31
"No warranty is going help you with that when you're in the middle of nowhere."
That's why you always carry back up, no matter what your system is. I even saw a bottle of Aqua Mira fail, split wide open. Can't do much with only part A.

rocketsocks
06-07-2012, 21:58
"No warranty is going help you with that when you're in the middle of nowhere."
That's why you always carry back up, no matter what your system is. I even saw a bottle of Aqua Mira fail, split wide open. Can't do much with only part A.Kinda like medicare...kidding! I believe in the technology of the Steri Pen,but don't own one yet....one day.I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro,and am thinking about supplementing with Aqua Mira as well......so yeah,quite on the fence in this( how did Bryson say it ) Particular Thorny Issue.

Odd Man Out
06-07-2012, 22:53
Ya I was looking at that but it only filters stuff up to .1 microns as opposed to .02-.03 of most other things plus there's no official listing as to filter life that I could find, the one million gallon guarantee is just a replacement guarantee which won't help me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I'm actually going to get something called the Camelbak All Clear http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/2012-All-Clear.aspx which is like a water bottle with a steripen cap. I've yet to find any testimonials on it in which it failed or was defective and the battery lasts like 16 gallons per charge. As much as I want to use a steripen it makes me too nervous with all The failure stories I hear.

If you are worried about viruses, then yes you would need to get the point zero two Sawyer filter instead. It can be used in a gravity system. But I was just point out the advantages of this to the Katadyn filter you mentioned earlier. That is only rated at 0.2 microns.

Timinator
06-08-2012, 11:20
Got my camelbak all clear (gotta love rei return service). So far so perfect. I've put it through hours of tests at different temperatures and it works without issue. You can actually take the top off and use it as a uv weapon :) wonder if that works on bears :p

ChinMusic
06-08-2012, 17:23
You need a backup for whatever method of treatment you use. Any method can leave you hanging.

Filter can clog, break, freeze.
Chems can spill
UV can malfunction

I carry tablets as a backup for my Steripen, and have only had to use them once (cloudy water).

slowfeet
06-08-2012, 18:47
are the batteries replaceable on the camelbak system? or does it have a built in battery?(that you must plug in to re charge)

Got my camelbak all clear (gotta love rei return service). So far so perfect. I've put it through hours of tests at different temperatures and it works without issue. You can actually take the top off and use it as a uv weapon :) wonder if that works on bears :p

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 20:28
Got my camelbak all clear (gotta love rei return service). So far so perfect. I've put it through hours of tests at different temperatures and it works without issue. You can actually take the top off and use it as a uv weapon :) wonder if that works on bears :pSave your batteries,better off just throwing dishwashing sand in there eyes,same condition,quicker results.,on the flip side,if I was a bear and you threw sand in my eyes,I would bite you,if you flashed a UV light in my eyes,I'd probably laugh my a$$ off,and then bite cha.:D

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2012, 20:43

According to claims I have read and the more knowledgeable folks I have talked to at outdoor stores, the 15 minute treatment time claim is only on aqua Mira's liquid drops, not any of the tablets and is for treating clear water in ideal conditions. The treatment time more than doubles if the water is cloudy or dirty.

It is also worth mentioning that the Aqua Mira drops packaging only claims that it "kills odor causing bacteria and enhances the taste of stored potable water" in other words "we make no treatment claims so don't sue us". If you want info on how effective Aqua Mira is then do some searching on google for research on the effectiveness of Chlorine Dioxide as a water treatment. Long story short is its rather effective but not perfect.

All that said I've been using aqua Mira for years and have never had a problem.

Timinator
06-09-2012, 10:36
are the batteries replaceable on the camelbak system? or does it have a built in battery?(that you must plug in to re charge)

It's built in non replaceable. It charges from USB but I have a solar panel that will keep it perpetually charged. The batteries last like a couple weeks of water treatment.

Rain Man
06-10-2012, 10:53
... the 15 minute treatment time claim is only ... for treating clear water in ideal conditions. The treatment time more than doubles if the water is cloudy or dirty.

Or cold.

Rain Man

Blissful
06-11-2012, 14:23
I am using one as a ridgerunner for base camp. Other than that, when I hike, it's still Aqua Mira.

Winds
06-11-2012, 15:08
Sorry, but you've said two things wrong there, I think. Steripen doesn't kill anything. It simply sterilizes them, so that they are sterile (cannot reproduce). The result is pretty much the same, i.e., you can safely drink the water. But you are drinking live organisms,... as you have all your life.

And Katadyn filters are not perfect. They clog up with silt. They freeze in the winter. They are "heavy." Some users are clueless about keeping the intake (dirty) and the output (clean) water tubes completely separated at all times. And, I had a hiking buddy pull the plunger completely out of the cyclinger and lost the collar ring. I was able to order a replacement.

Nothing's perfect. I have both a Katadyn and a Steripen (and chemical treatments).

As Odd Man Out said, "every system has its drawbacks."

So, you simply choose your poison. Pun intended.

Rain Man

That's well stated.

In my limited research of the Steripen, roughly 40% of it is downright negative. I would never rely on such a system on any long hike. You folks keep popping up with more negatives too and I see that almost daily now. And as Rain Man has tried to point out, the organisms are only sterilized and possibly temporarily at that (given enough exposure to sunlight, they change back!) The Steripen is simply NOT ready for prime time. Maybe that will change in a year? We'll see.

I've only begun looked into the Sawyer Squeeze – it’s claims seem vastly too grandiose to be viable though at first glance.

Whatever I decide upon down the road, at this point I plan on having bleach as my backup.

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 17:32
That's well stated.

In my limited research of the Steripen, roughly 40% of it is downright negative. I would never rely on such a system on any long hike. You folks keep popping up with more negatives too and I see that almost daily now. And as Rain Man has tried to point out, the organisms are only sterilized and possibly temporarily at that (given enough exposure to sunlight, they change back!) The Steripen is simply NOT ready for prime time. Maybe that will change in a year?
WADR, that is crap. The science behind UVC is solid. It is the same process many municipalities successfully use every day.

There have been many reports of Steripens failing. All I know is I have been using then for 5 years without issue. I trust the product as my primary. But, as with ANY method, I carry a backup.

Snowleopard
06-11-2012, 18:04
I admit that the idea of drinking deactivated organisms makes me feel a little queasy, but if they are truly deactivated it's safe. Compare it to boiling, which is probably the safest water treatment. The organisms in the boiled water are still there, just deactivated.
The questions with the steripen are:
how reliable is the device?
how effective is it in delivering a strong enough UV dose in turbid water?
I'll be using a steripen or boiling in winter and probably the steripen with chemical backup in the summer.

The Sawyer's actual filter element is very good at eliminating everything except viruses. The squeeze has gotten good reviews and I liked what I saw hiking with Philip at sectionhiker:
http://sectionhiker.com/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter-system/ (http://sectionhiker.com/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter-system/)

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 19:22
how reliable is the device? Has never failed me in 5 years.
how effective is it in delivering a strong enough UV dose in turbid water? "Weak lemonade" is the standard. On the AT I rarely see anything close to that.
I'll be using a steripen or boiling in winter and probably the steripen with chemical backup in the summer. I use chem backup year round. Used chem once on the AT in a dry year.

in bold.........

Winds
06-11-2012, 19:31
WADR, that is crap. The science behind UVC is solid. It is the same process many municipalities successfully use every day.

I didn't say ANYTHING regarding the effectiveness of UV water treatments ('science behind'). I simply wouldn't trust the Steripen as a safety device and pay nearly $100 for it.

REI is one of the top re-sellers of the Steripen, and currently the overall reviews are NOT good at all. There are as many 1-stars ratings as 5-star ratings. The upset customers have very specific complaints which show this product to be at minimum troublesome.
http://www.rei.com/product/799003/steripen-adventurer-opti-water-purifier

As for other concerns, here's a section from Wikipedia on the subject:

Water turbidity (i.e., the amount of suspended & colloidal solids contained in the water to be treated) must be low, such that the water is clear, for UV purification to work well. Also, water treated with UV still has the microbes present in the water, only with their means for reproduction turned "off". In the event that such UV-treated water containing neutered microbes is exposed to visible light (specifically, wavelengths of light over 330-500 nm) for any significant period of time, a process known as photo reactivation can take place, where the possibility for repairing the damage in the bacteria's reproduction DNA arises, potentially rendering them once more capable of reproducing and causing disease.

Bottom line:
The unit may work as intended, or the quality might be so bad it won't work?
You may not know if it's working properly?
Is your water clear enough?
Will the unit work wonderfully and just quit on you when you really NEED it?

Here is one of MANY unhappy customer's review: (direct quote)
I bought this product because i have been looking for a lightweight filter system. What I found on the trail however, was that it does not always work when it is needed. It was very difficult to get it to turn on. It seemed as though it had to be in such a precise position in the water in order to work that it became impractical while in the backcountry.

Here’s another: (direct quote)
It only works when it takes a notion to. Half the time I try to use it, it won't work. Moderate cold (below 40), minor amount of cloudiness in water and I don't know what else and it won't filter. Totally unreliable.

And another: (direct quote)
I had the occasion to make my first use of a new SteriPEN on a recent backpack trip with others. The device worked occasionally, but it failed far more often despite our following the directions to the letter. Fortunately, one in our party brought along a dependable water filter. We gave up on the SteriPEN and relied on proven, though a bit weightier, technology.

And then we have Chin’s terrific quote along the same lines, “There have been many reports of Steripens failing.”

I would NOT buy nor count on a device that is just NOT ready for it's intended purpose. I certainly wouldn't plan it in to my safety measures with great hopes that it "just might" work as stated.

With the available USER data on the Steripen, recommending it to anyone is actually absurd.

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 19:41
I didn't say ANYTHING regarding the effectiveness of UV water treatments ('science behind').

Then you need to edit your own post.

And as Rain Man has tried to point out, the organisms are only sterilized and possibly temporarily at that (given enough exposure to sunlight, they change back!) The Steripen is simply NOT ready for prime time. Maybe that will change in a year? We'll see.

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 19:44
With the available USER data on the Steripen, recommending it to anyone is actually absurd.

Tons of folks love and successfully use their Steripen. I am one of those.

And if it broke tomorrow, I would NOT "be left hanging". I have a backup, as anyone should have no matter what their primary strategy is.

Winds
06-11-2012, 19:57
Yes, you love your toy, and since you bought it with your money and use it think it's the best thing ever - got it.

For those actually considering a viable water treatment method should steer clear of a Steripen (as least until they can make one that REALLY works for ALL customers ALL the time).

Here's another direct quote from another forum on the Steripen:

I considered getting a SteriPEN myself but after reading several reviews saying that they can be problematic such as: breaking during a hike, running out of batteries, making sure your water is clean enough of silt, the water temp is high enough and so forth i decided to keep it old school.

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 20:01
For those actually considering a viable water treatment method should steer clear of a Steripen (as least until they can make one that REALLY works for ALL customers ALL the time).

ROFLMAO

I guess you don't buy or recommend ANYTHING.

I just realized that you are the SAME misguided individual that was tell folks that expired doxycycline was perfectly safe.

Goodbye. I will not respond to you again in this thread.

Winds
06-11-2012, 20:16
You're really a door knob here. You pop into threads covering a vast array of topics and act like you know something.
By simple stats, you are doing this many times a day for years.

You bought and used the Steripen and you think it's wonderful, really, got it.

The reviews on ALL the Steripen models I have seen overall are NOT good. You bought into the advertising, so you wish others to follow.

Questions: The Steripen is a water purifier. What other method of water purification still being sold today has a worse record for user satisfaction? What other method specifically designed for portability do customers state with passion: "this is not for back country use?"

Rain Man
06-11-2012, 20:21
I've only begun looked into the Sawyer Squeeze – it’s claims seem vastly too grandiose to be viable though at first glance.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Filters that act fast, filter vast quantities, or chemicals that act in 5 or 15 minutes,-- when all the other manufacturers promise far, far less to do a good, thorough job,-- there's got to be a catch.

BTW, my Steripen Classic has performed admirably. Any quirks or glitches have been user error or learning curve, which all things have.

Rain Man

Snowleopard
06-11-2012, 20:22
... Compare it to boiling, which is probably the safest water treatment. The organisms in the boiled water are still there, just deactivated. ...

To correct myself, boiling water kills most organisms; it doesn't just deactivate them.

cavediver256
06-11-2012, 20:24
Never had a problem with my Steripen Adventurer.....It may break the next day on the trail, but in 3 years, I have only had to replace batteries. If it did break, I still have a couple of options in my pack to handle the situation.

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 20:29
Never had a problem with my Steripen Adventurer.....It may break the next day on the trail, but in 3 years, I have only had to replace batteries. If it did break, I still have a couple of options in my pack to handle the situation.

You ever post a review? I know I haven't. Most satisfied customers do not.

Winds
06-11-2012, 20:31
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Filters that act fast, filter vast quantities, or chemicals that act in 5 or 15 minutes,-- when all the other manufacturers promise far, far less to do a good, thorough job,-- there's got to be a catch.

BTW, my Steripen Classic has performed admirably. Any quirks or glitches have been user error or learning curve, which all things have.

Rain Man

I really haven't had the opportunity to look into the Sawyer Squeeze yet, so I don't know much. But yeah, with a rough overview I am curious if it can live up to it's claims.

And to those who have a Steripen that actually works when you need it to, cheers!
:)

cavediver256
06-11-2012, 20:43
You ever post a review? I know I haven't. Most satisfied customers do not.

LOL, not until just now. ;)

bfayer
06-11-2012, 22:13
I have said it before but I'll say it again, my steripen adventure works fine. I have had people borrow it and tell me it doesn't work. I try it and it works fine.

Is the problem with the steripen or with the users? I don't know but mine works fine for me.

If you don't like it or trust it, don't use it. Easy fix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

House of Payne
06-12-2012, 06:09
I think i'll have to keep an eye on threads like this, just about the steripen. I have the classic and so far so good, with only about 10-20 uses so far. My thoughts were to use this unit and if all goes well before my 2014 thru get a more compact steripen to save on size and weight. So far I have read more cons than good about this product so far, hopefully this company can get it together and produce a more reliable product before sites like this effectively take them down. Electronics like this, that are relatively new to the market, take their fair share of problems and glitches that need to be worked out.

Don H
06-12-2012, 09:45
The All Clear has a battery that needs to be recharged by a USB cord. Guess you would need to carry one of those recharging battery packs with AA batteries.

I used lithium batteries in my Steripen, got a month or more of daily use out of a set.

tenn_hiker
06-12-2012, 12:42
Steri pens eat batteries.. I sent mine home as soon as I got out of the 100 mile wilderness. Aqua Mira works just fine.

ChinMusic
06-12-2012, 12:47
Steri pens eat batteries.. I sent mine home as soon as I got out of the 100 mile wilderness. Aqua Mira works just fine.
What type of battery were you using?

Rain Man
06-15-2012, 09:10
Steri pens eat batteries....

So do digital cameras if you use the wrong (cheap!) kind. Better leave your camera home too, then.

Rain Man

Winds
06-15-2012, 14:46
So do digital cameras if you use the wrong (cheap!) kind. Better leave your camera home too, then.

Rain Man

Great idea! Instead of the camera then, I'm going to carry a full array of water colors and beg people to bring me fresh canvasses along the way. :)

leaftye
06-15-2012, 15:54

Rain Man

That's why I use a camera with AA batteries. I can get over 1000 shots with rechargeable AA's. I should be able to get more on non-rechargeable lithium AA's. I'm hoping to pick up the upcoming Pentax DSLR that also uses AA's later this year or early next year.

turtle fast
06-15-2012, 16:30
The funny thing here is that nobody has talked about the General Ecology First Need Filter that filters, removes chemical/pesticides, and removes viruses.......its a true purifier not just a filter system. The drawback is that like a filter is heavier than chemical purification systems, but the water is fit to drink right away.

bfayer
06-15-2012, 16:52
The funny thing here is that nobody has talked about the General Ecology First Need Filter that filters, removes chemical/pesticides, and removes viruses.......its a true purifier not just a filter system. The drawback is that like a filter is heavier than chemical purification systems, but the water is fit to drink right away.

The First Need was my first filter over 20 years ago, still have it, and it still works (as far as I know). Great filter but heavy. If you need to worry about viruses it is a great choice, but viruses are just not an issue on the east coast of The USA, as long as you are pulling water from sources that are not contaminated by people, any of the main stream filters are just as good and lighter. I think my Sawyer and my Steripen put together are lighter than my First Need, but I have not checked.

turtle fast
06-15-2012, 17:17
Most AT water sources are ok for normal filtration (as long as you take normal precautions), however I have seen areas of concern like a human poop field above a water source, or agricultural pesticide use on a field above the water source....I would rather be safe than sorry for a pound more of weight for water to drink right away and the ability to filter water among rocks where other purification systems won't work. The First Need has been around for years for a reason. Viruses in the water is not a big concern, but as the world becomes more mobile I won't take the chance of something spreading and have the added benefit of pesticide and/or industrial chemicals being removed.

House of Payne
06-15-2012, 19:37
I also have the first need filter, its a great filter for what it does. And it actually produces very clean drinking water that tastes very good. Downside, just like with any pump filter, is it's weight and size. I'm not about to sacrafice weight and size for a thru when something lighter and more compact will do. So far the streipen for me is in question.

bfayer
06-18-2012, 15:09
I weighed my First Need and it was 17 oz.

My Steripen is 3.6 and my Sawyer Squeeze is about 4 oz with the bag.

So if viruses are a significant concern you can carry both the Steripen and the Sawyer for less than half the weight of the First Need. This will take care of every possibility and provide redundancy in case of failure.

I don't see the need, but it would seem this set up would cover every eventuality, including viruses, turbidity, battery failure, clogged filter, and broken pump.

There is no one solution that meets every need. Pick one and go hike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
06-18-2012, 15:54
Sawyer has a filter that removes viruses. It is sold with hose adapters to use as an in-line gravity filter. Due to much smaller pore size, flow rates are slower. It seems to me that with adapters, you could hook this filter up to a bladder/reservoir and use it like the squeeze. I wonder if you could get reasonable flow rates with a set up like this? Does anyone know the weight of the filter (filter only) or how much pressure you might need to apply to get this to work?

leaftye
06-18-2012, 17:30
Sawyer has a filter that removes viruses. It is sold with hose adapters to use as an in-line gravity filter. Due to much smaller pore size, flow rates are slower. It seems to me that with adapters, you could hook this filter up to a bladder/reservoir and use it like the squeeze. I wonder if you could get reasonable flow rates with a set up like this? Does anyone know the weight of the filter (filter only) or how much pressure you might need to apply to get this to work?

See the following post I made earlier. I thought the virus filter would be too slow and difficult with hand pressure, so I proposed the following solution.

Chemicals work better on cleaner water, so filtering first should require fewer chemicals than usual to get what's left.

There's also a pressurized filter with a ridiculous name that I can't remember. Combining the bag and pump from that system with a Sawyer virus filter element might be efficient enough to suit your needs.

Well, searching for "pressurized backpacking filter" found exactly what I was talking about.
http://www.geigerrig.com/product-benefits/clean-h2o.html