PDA

View Full Version : Freeze dried meals and resupply

JoshL
06-07-2012, 12:43
I am currently planning my 2013 thru hike and wanted to know about the availability of things like freeze dried meals and fuel at various resupply points on the trail. I plan on mostly eating Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry items and using a jetboil titanium for heating water/making coffee, etc. Are freeze dried meals like this and fuel for a jetboil pretty common at resupply points along the trail? If they are more difficult to come by I may have to change plans and go with an alcohol stove for cooking more traditional super market fair, although this would certainly not be my preference.

Also as a complete side note, I hear Snickers bars are one of the foods of choice on the trail due to being tasty and high calorie content. It seems to me like they would just be a nasty squished melted mess after being in a bag a couple days on the trail.

Don H
06-07-2012, 13:16
You can do much better with food purchased from the local grocery stores. Search "Freezer Bag Cooking" for some examples.
The MH and BP meals are expensive and bulky. They are usually only available at outfitters or camp stores like in Shenandoah NP. I was always able to find food along the way in towns.

Canister fuel is available at outfitters. A good guide book like "AT Guide" will tell you can buy fuel. I used canister fuel last year and didn't have a problem finding it although it's not as common as white gas (Coleman fuel) or alcohol.

If you're set on the freeze dried meals buy in bulk and have them mailed to you on the trail. You can also mail a fuel canister but you have to declare it and ship it ORD (over road delivery) which might be a little slower.

Good luck in 2013, I did it last year, what an experience!

4shot
06-07-2012, 14:37
the post above is pretty spot on. very few people eat the BP or MH meals very often due to weight/cost. Given the time you have,you may want to explore getting a dehydrator and making your own meals (plus jerky and dehydrated fruit). It's a nice supplement to the instant pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.found at most resupply places.

Canister fuel is not an issue as far as resupply. I am happy to report that a Snickers will retain its shape/form,viscosity/tastiness/etc. inside a pack. It's bulletproof for the most part. Even in 100+ degree weather, it will still resemble a candy bar after being removed from it's ultralight water resistant package.

Don H
06-07-2012, 16:36
Some of the best trail food I had was some dehydrated dinners my hiking partner in Maine, Old Grand Dad had made. He had more than he needed our last week on the trail and he gave me a few meals which were unmarked but he said were beef stew. So I'm eating one of his meals one night and OGD says "How's the beef stew?" I said it's GREAT but it tastes like lasagna! ;)