PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof case for iPhone

old geezer
06-07-2012, 16:34
What's the best waterproof case for hiking with an iPhone
Thanks

kayak karl
06-07-2012, 16:40
kayaking friends use this (http://www.lifeproof.com/lp/iphone-4s-case/?proof=water&gclid=CPuSv5v-vLACFYpM4Aod0EiCoA)

FLO
06-07-2012, 17:21
I use life proof. Just put in in the case and forget about it. Can be used under water too.

old geezer
06-07-2012, 17:25
Thanks
I'm sold!

Adfischer
06-07-2012, 22:59
LifeProof is good for keeping the rain out but DO NOT trust it being submerged. I had water get in mine during a canoe trip and a friend tried his swimming and water seeped into it too. Great case, just be careful.

attroll
06-07-2012, 23:34
Moved to the Electronics forum.

Big Dawg
06-08-2012, 04:43
otterbox is coming out w/ the new Armor Series... drop proof, dust proof, crush proof, waterproof

QiWiz
06-08-2012, 08:06
I use life proof. Just put in in the case and forget about it. Can be used under water too.

+1 Have it, love it, use it as all-the-time case now; imagine using GPS, taking pictures and listening to music in the middle of a downpour with no worries. That's what I needed and that's what you get. Not cheap.

PeterWitrigs
07-07-2012, 03:19
My initial reaction to a Victorian filigree swirl iPhone case was gut-wrenching. However, I must admit that I quite like this design. Designed by C ...iphone 4 leather holster case (http://www.witrigs.com/iphone-4-leather-case)

PeterWitrigs
07-25-2012, 03:53
This is my iPhone 4s case: It is a japanese character named Rilakkuma or Relax Bear. This is the white bear "Korilakkuma" and he likes to be ... cheap iphone replacement parts (http://www.witrigs.com/iphone-parts)

QiWiz
07-25-2012, 19:55

+ 1

not cheap, but not bulky at all and perfect for hiking/backpacking as you can use all of the phone's features, including camera and headphones, in the rain, with essentially zero risk if water getting into phone. I say "essentially" because you do have to follow directions correctly.

moytoy
07-25-2012, 20:02
You might look into this. I've not used it but it might be the ticket for outdoor use.http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?7132-Waterproof-any-cell-phone-without-adding-a-case-to-it!

Gnatx
08-30-2012, 09:22
I am looking into the aqua tek s it is water proof up to 20ft plus has a built in battery and even a small solar panel(doubt it would do alot but hey every little bit helps)
Snowlizard.com I think is where u can get one just google insure u will find it

Hope that helps

scree
08-30-2012, 12:48
Google up Liquipel. It's an applied sealant process that, for a minimal fee, (something like $50-$60) will completely waterproof your electronics without the need for a bulky outside case.

michaelosborne
11-13-2013, 23:49
I used the life proof when I had an iphone 4 and plan on buying another one for my iphone 5 works great even underwater! Also very useful if you use your phone to listen to music in the shower you can bring it right in with you

aficion
11-13-2013, 23:58
Plastic bag works for me.

Sarcasm the elf
11-14-2013, 00:00
I used the life proof when I had an iphone 4 and plan on buying another one for my iphone 5 works great even underwater! Also very useful if you use your phone to listen to music in the shower you can bring it right in with you

Agree 100% lifeproof cases are great. Totally waterproof, In fact they make you do a 1 hour bucket test on the empty case as part of the product registration process.

I do have one buddy that accidentally ripped up a lifeproof case so that it's no longer waterproof, but he did so by running it over with his Ford F-250 diesel and the phone survived!

michaelosborne
11-14-2013, 00:35
I'm always a little cautious when putting my smartphone in something waterproof so like I did with the lifeproof, I fold up some toilet paper, lock it up in the phone case, and then submerge it in the sink that way I can see if there's any leaks before it's too late

nastynate
11-14-2013, 07:02
Lifeproof user here for 2 years and I'm extremely happy. I work in a pretty harsh environment and its saved my phone more times than I can count. Bonus is that my phone still looks brand new.

10-K
11-14-2013, 07:29
I used an Otterbox for a while but switched to a Lifeproof case and I'm much happier with it.

The Otterbox is definitely not waterproof and it adds weight and increases the profile quite a bit - it's hard to get in a hipbelt pocket if there's something else in it.

The Lifeproof case fits more like a skin and doesn't add bulk.

NY HIKER 50
11-14-2013, 13:08
I use a GSI case and it seems to work. If you really want water resistance use a nalgene bottle if you can fit it in. My phone fits perfectly. I have no use for a smart phone since I'm more concerned with the signal getting out than everything else.

ChinMusic
11-14-2013, 13:13
Google up Liquipel. It's an applied sealant process that, for a minimal fee, (something like $50-$60) will completely waterproof your electronics without the need for a bulky outside case.

I had Liquipel treat my iPhone 5 prior to my '13 thru. It worked perfectly. I then used an non-waterproof OtterBox for protection.

Starchild
11-14-2013, 13:41
I used a dry bag with a clear plastic section for my thru, I also have used a seal line e-case, also flexable. Unless it may get wet, my phone remains naked however.

10-K
11-14-2013, 19:00
Just FYI - you can still use an iPhone if it's inside a ziplock bag.

Just Bill
11-15-2013, 10:19
had good luck with the lifeproof, but the headphone lead wore out fairly quickly.

kycali
11-15-2013, 10:45
I used a small whanganui aquapac for my Iphone 5 for my thru-hike. I already had a basic case for it and didn't want to commit to always having the phone in a bulkier life proof case. It worked very well and now I only use it if I'm taking my phone out in the rain.

Don H
11-15-2013, 17:10
I just exchanged a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 5 for an Otter box. The LP case caused buzzing and humming in the phone when using it. Google it and you'll find other complaints.