PDA

View Full Version : Shirmp/Crab in foil pack ?

Loneoak
06-07-2012, 16:42
Anyone know where to buy shrimp or crab in a foil pouch like tuna/chicken come in. I have done several google searches and can't find any. I don't know if who would make it, Chicken of the Sea, Starkist or Bumble Bee don't have it in a foil pouch.

thanks

peakbagger
06-07-2012, 16:44
If its made, I would expect you would find it in city with a big chinese population. I am amazed when I go down to the Boston Chinatown grocery stores on what is availlable.

Ewker
06-07-2012, 16:57
they use to be in foil pouches all the time but over the yrs they have quit making them that way. I use to buy clams that way also.

In the long run the canned items are cheaper. We bought a can of shrimp the other day that we are going to dehydrate...crossing fingers it works

Rocket Jones
06-07-2012, 17:21
Try this guy - http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-meat.html - who has a web page (scroll down) about dehydrating things like shrimp and tuna.

Farr Away
06-08-2012, 10:25
You might also consider just carrying a can.

Sarbar posted a comparison of can versus foil pack a while back. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the empty can weighed the same (or maybe even less) than the empty foil pack. And like Ewker said - cans are cheaper.

If you want to dehydrate, you might want to do a price comparison of frozen salad shrimp versus canned shrimp. I think frozen could actually be less per pound. Also if you don't want to dehydrate yourself, you might find dried shrimp in an international grocery.

-FA

Whack-a-mole
06-08-2012, 10:37
If you are going to eat shrimp (or any meat for that matter) on the first night, freeze it, along with a water bottle. The next day pack them together in plastic bags. Enjoy your meal that night, and the water will melt, and give you one more bottle of water that you don't have to worry about treating. Yes, it is a little heavy, just for one day, but sometimes I will carry a little bit of a special meal for that first night, knowing that all the weight will be gone after that first day. Nothing beats a great meal that first night.

Loneoak
06-08-2012, 13:20
Thanks everyone, trying to put some trail meals together that will keep for a week or so.

sarbar
06-08-2012, 20:33
And..freeze dried is always an option :)

sarbar
06-08-2012, 20:34
PS: yes, for the most part those stupid companies quit making them. Booooo :(

kayak karl
06-08-2012, 21:03
You might also consider just carrying a can.

Sarbar posted a comparison of can versus foil pack a while back. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the empty can weighed the same (or maybe even less) than the empty foil pack. And like Ewker said - cans are cheaper.
-FA
your right about the can weight and in many towns the pouches aren't available. for lunch a can of tuna is just right. spam makes it two diners, sometimes :)

Slo-go'en
06-08-2012, 22:29
I saw sardines W/hot sause in a foil pack today. Too bad I don't like sardines!

As for foil vs tin, foil is easier and more compact to pack out.

fiddlehead
06-09-2012, 00:00
Oriental grocery stores often have dried shrimp. Just in bulk form, sold by the oz or lb.
I buy the biggest ones to add to my curry and coconut powdered meals. (they often have 3 or 4 differnt sizes )

Just carry them in ziplocks.

Ewker
06-11-2012, 08:57
I saw sardines W/hot sause in a foil pack today. Too bad I don't like sardines!

As for foil vs tin, foil is easier and more compact to pack out.

If that was the Crown Prince brand of sardines don't waste your time. The sardines are big and you only get 3 maybe 4 in the pouch. Buy the King Oscar tins that are double layer sardines. To me they are a better buy.

BTW the tin burns really quickly since it is loaded with oil.

FarmerChef
06-20-2012, 16:20
I make a chowder on the trail that the kids rave about. For the shrimp I recommend finding an international grocery. They often have dehydrated shrimp in the refrigerated section. I throw it on my dehydrater a little longer just to be on the safe side but wouldn't hesitate to just walk out the door with it either. For the clams, I buy a can and throw it on the dehydrator. It rehydrates quite nicely.

In my experience, try to get the smallest shrimp possible if you're going the dehydrated route. Otherwise, cook up some shrimp and then chop them into smaller pieces before dehydrating.

Loneoak
06-20-2012, 17:26
I make a chowder on the trail that the kids rave about. For the shrimp I recommend finding an international grocery. They often have dehydrated shrimp in the refrigerated section. I throw it on my dehydrater a little longer just to be on the safe side but wouldn't hesitate to just walk out the door with it either. For the clams, I buy a can and throw it on the dehydrator. It rehydrates quite nicely.

In my experience, try to get the smallest shrimp possible if you're going the dehydrated route. Otherwise, cook up some shrimp and then chop them into smaller pieces before dehydrating.
What has been your experience with the shrimp rehydrating ?

FarmerChef
06-21-2012, 10:19
The shrimp I get in the store usually has the shell on. That's not a bad thing, the whole thing is edible, but it can slow rehydration. Also, I've found a couple different sizes in the grocery and can definitely say that smaller is better. Either way, I soak the shrimp, clams, potatoes and crab in the pot for a bit before I turn on the heat. This allows them to soak up some water before I have to use up fuel (unless we have a fire and then I just put 'em right on). Of the big items, the shrimp takes the longest.

I've wanted to experiment with cooking regular old large shrimp, shelling them and then cutting into smaller pieces for dehydration. I'd bet they rehydrate even faster without the shell on. When I do, I'll pop back and post again.

WingedMonkey
06-21-2012, 10:56
Anyone know where to buy shrimp or crab in a foil pouch like tuna/chicken come in. I have done several google searches and can't find any. I don't know if who would make it, Chicken of the Sea, Starkist or Bumble Bee don't have it in a foil pouch.

thanks

Chicken of the Sea use to put out clams, oysters, and shrimp in retort packaging. I stocked up a few years back at a local food outlet when they were discontinued (long since used up).

My research in to the matter shows that the American market does not support this type of packaging so it was discontinued. It is however acceptable to Asian markets and is quite popular overseas.

Even if you look at the tuna retort shelf space compared to caned product, you will notice a lot less shelf space. I guess Americans are just use to certain things being in cans.

On the other hand I now see retort packages of Vienna sausages and flavored tomato sauces in the Latin sections of my local stores.

fungi601
06-30-2012, 18:33
If that was the Crown Prince brand of sardines don't waste your time. The sardines are big and you only get 3 maybe 4 in the pouch. Buy the King Oscar tins that are double layer sardines. To me they are a better buy.

BTW the tin burns really quickly since it is loaded with oil.

I tried some of the sardines in a pouch and they sucked! they were all broken up and kind of mussy. Im a big fan of the Beach Cliff Fish Steaks with Hot green chilies but there in a can so I dont normally bring them on the trail unless I know Im going to be at a trash can at a trailhead soon.

Wil
06-30-2012, 21:58
What has been your experience with the shrimp rehydrating ?I love shrimp. Whole shrimp. I'll have 3-4 shrimp meals the first 10 days of a trip (I'm too cautious to risk much longer). Hate to spoil the whole shrimp experience by cutting it up. So I work a little differently and am willing to invest time & effort. I start with medium/large shrimp, the easy-peels. I boil them in the shell with lots of salt, shell and dehydrate at about 140F for 8 hours +. So they are barely bendable. Cut into a sample to make sure the shrimp are dry inside.

Commercial pre-cooked shrimp I have found sometimes have a water-retentive chemical added that lengthens dehydration time. Since the shrimp do not quite recover full size on re-hydration, starting with medium/large gives you decent sized shrimp with the flavor (some of which is inevitably lost) concentrated.

Rehydration of the shrimp is a serious time issue. If I'm having shrimp for dinner my first chore after taking off the pack is putting the shrimp in the pot with cold water to sit for half an hour or more while I do other tasks. Then I boil the water and cozy for another 30 minutes. Then add the meal mix and bring to another boil and cozy for whatever the meal mix requires (I especially like Hawks Jambalaya and that's just a few minutes).

The result is just great. You don't get perfect texture, by any means, but still wonderful. Especially the meals 8-10 days out when it becomes simply luxurious!

BTW the investment of time also works if you like stews or other meals with larger chunks of beef. Separate out the beef chunks & dehydrate separately. A pre-soak in cold water (less time is needed than with shrimp), and then boiling and cozying the meat alone (again a little less time than shrimp) gives you the re-hydration without over-boiling out all the flavor.

Loneoak
06-30-2012, 23:41
I love shrimp. Whole shrimp. I'll have 3-4 shrimp meals the first 10 days of a trip (I'm too cautious to risk much longer). Hate to spoil the whole shrimp experience by cutting it up. So I work a little differently and am willing to invest time & effort. I start with medium/large shrimp, the easy-peels. I boil them in the shell with lots of salt, shell and dehydrate at about 140F for 8 hours +. So they are barely bendable. Cut into a sample to make sure the shrimp are dry inside.

Commercial pre-cooked shrimp I have found sometimes have a water-retentive chemical added that lengthens dehydration time. Since the shrimp do not quite recover full size on re-hydration, starting with medium/large gives you decent sized shrimp with the flavor (some of which is inevitably lost) concentrated.

Rehydration of the shrimp is a serious time issue. If I'm having shrimp for dinner my first chore after taking off the pack is putting the shrimp in the pot with cold water to sit for half an hour or more while I do other tasks. Then I boil the water and cozy for another 30 minutes. Then add the meal mix and bring to another boil and cozy for whatever the meal mix requires (I especially like Hawks Jambalaya and that's just a few minutes).

The result is just great. You don't get perfect texture, by any means, but still wonderful. Especially the meals 8-10 days out when it becomes simply luxurious!

BTW the investment of time also works if you like stews or other meals with larger chunks of beef. Separate out the beef chunks & dehydrate separately. A pre-soak in cold water (less time is needed than with shrimp), and then boiling and cozying the meat alone (again a little less time than shrimp) gives you the re-hydration without over-boiling out all the flavor.

thank you, I will have to try that