PDA

View Full Version : seeking good pair of men's hiking shorts.. so frustrating!! need suggestions

DavidNH
06-08-2012, 12:41
It's really frustrating. Why the heck are men's shorts almost knee length these days? it's so impractical.

Basically, I'm after a pair that is quick dry, is durable (here in New England the trails are rugged and the rocks one slides down in places would slice through many of the paper thin shorts) and are actually shorts. 5-8 inch inseam would do it. Most seem to be 9-11 inch inseam. I'm at least an xl size.

The regular department stores are useless from what I have seen.

Anyone have suggestions?

DavidNH

bishopj
06-08-2012, 12:52
Campmor or LLBean

Rasty
06-08-2012, 13:19
Golite has shorts with three choices of length.

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 13:36
Have two pair of Reebok's shorts,from a Reebok's outlet store in Atlantic City NJ,they are light weight,dry fast,and are made with rip stop nylon(parachute clothe),l like em.Well above the knee and very baggy.

Moose2001
06-08-2012, 13:48
Look for some running or trail running shorts. They always have a shorter inseam.

Glad I'm not the only one that has this frustration!

Canyonero
06-08-2012, 13:55
underarmour running shorts. had a couple pairs for 4 years with no issues.

Canyonero
06-08-2012, 13:56
I mean I still have!

Majortrauma
06-08-2012, 14:10
I was going post a comment about wearing kilts instead of shorts since kilts are so damn comfortable and practical...but I won't.

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 14:26
I was going post a comment about wearing kilts instead of shorts since kilts are so damn comfortable and practical...but I won't.Yep,don't talk about Kilts,cause it's not a kilt type thread.So there's really no point in mentioning Kilts

Odd Man Out
06-08-2012, 16:12
Can we talk about short kilts since this is a shorts thread?

Jim Adams
06-08-2012, 22:16
when I'm not wearing a kilt I have found that synthetic boxers with the fly sewn shut are extremely comfortable and actually hold up pretty good. 700miles of southern PCT.

geek

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 22:22
when I'm not wearing a kilt I have found that synthetic boxers with the fly sewn shut are extremely comfortable and actually hold up pretty good. 700miles of southern PCT.

geek700 hundred miles Jim....in your Dirty Draws...too funny!

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2012, 22:35
I was going post a comment about wearing kilts instead of shorts since kilts are so damn comfortable and practical...but I won't.

As my friend from Glasgow always says "no offense, but that's not a kilt" :D

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2012, 22:37
It's really frustrating. Why the heck are men's shorts almost knee length these days? it's so impractical.

Basically, I'm after a pair that is quick dry, is durable (here in New England the trails are rugged and the rocks one slides down in places would slice through many of the paper thin shorts) and are actually shorts. 5-8 inch inseam would do it. Most seem to be 9-11 inch inseam. I'm at least an xl size.

Anyone have suggestions?

DavidNH

You may have already tried this, but I am a fan of the REI convertible pants/shorts. When the legs are unzipped the shorts are a reasonable length, not as long as most of today's men's shorts. They are also very durable by lightweight backpacking standards.

hikehunter
06-08-2012, 22:45
Cabellas has a pair of convertable pants made of rip-stop. They are $55 but the are light and tuff. J C Penny has some good shorts from time to time, you got to really look. Good Luck

hikerboy57
06-08-2012, 22:48
Scotsman is asked if he knows hes got a steering wheel stuck in his kilt.he says"aye and its driving me nuts!

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 23:00

Anyone have suggestions?

DavidNHMaybe try some of the womens stores ie,marshall,Tj max,or even in the womens dept.sometimes those are cuts are little more flatering.

TRAUMAhead
06-09-2012, 01:39
Patagonia Baggies, comes in 5" or 7" inseam and multiple colors.