PDA

View Full Version : Cloudland to 19E on the first trip...Are we crazy?

ScouterDave
06-08-2012, 16:01
I've been lurking in the bushes for a while and finally decided to ask...are we crazy for doing this? Buddy and I want to do the stretch from Cloudland north to US19 over 3 days next month. For 2 guys in their mid 30's that are slightly overweight and just getting back into this, is this even doable? I really don't want to get there and find out we're in over our heads. Gear wise, we're all set...just gotta put boots on the ground but do you think we've got the physical capability to do it? Thoughts?

Hiking Man
06-08-2012, 16:12
Not really sure what physical shape you are in, but i am 31 and did that section in one day. A long day, but i did it. I think if you took three days there would be no problem at all getting in done. If you are worried about it start at Carver's Gap to cut off a few miles. Up little Hump and Big Hump are really your only big climbs and they are not to bad.

1azarus
06-08-2012, 16:32
you may be slightly overweight but you sure are smart! that seems like a great plan -- really pretty section to hike, and you are starting, if I understand your plan, at the Roan High Bluff parking area, which gives you great altitude. At a total of around sixteen miles, the daily mileage should be fine since you can really take your time and take breaks. do you plan to stay at overmountain shelter and applehouse shelter? or to divide your days more equally and find campsites? Overmountain is a real treat... good luck to you and enjoy your hike!

ScouterDave
06-08-2012, 16:32
Cool, thanks. It's not the distance so much as the incline. :eek:

Also, what is the usual water situation through there? Being on the ridge and up on the balds, will we have a long walk down side trails to get to a spring or are there places nearby we can top off as we go? I'm not seeing a whole lot of squigly blue lines on my map.

ScouterDave
06-08-2012, 16:35
Laz...we had not talked about campsites yet. I'm tenting and he's hanging a hammock so we'll probably stay away form the shelters and just find a decent place each night. We did want to enjoy the mileage and not be pushed for distance so that's why we're planning on 3 days.

10-K
06-08-2012, 16:58
You'll be done in less than 3 days... Even if you only hike 0.75 mph you'll only have 21 hiking hours in the entire hike so you'll either be doing a lot of sleeping or sitting if you're going to make it last 3 days.

ChinMusic
06-08-2012, 17:12
At first I couldn't figure out where you were starting. Now I get it. That is a very short distance for 3 days, not that there is anything wrong with that. I would think that anyone healthy enough to hike the first mile should do just fine. The hiking shouldn't be an issue.

This will be more of a camping trip than a hiking trip, again, not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a GREAT section to hike a bit and chill out. Have fun.

mhurley
06-08-2012, 18:48
You should have no problem with this. By the way, Apple House shelter has been torn down, so don't plan on staying there. mountain Harbor is about 300 yards down 19E from the trail intersection.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pkj1c3

ChinMusic
06-08-2012, 20:45
If you have to leave a car at 19E, Mountain Harbour Hostel is the place to leave it. Do NOT leave it at the trail head.

Also, Bob's Dairyland is great place for the end-of-trip meal. It is just a coupla miles past Mountain Harbour on the right.

10-K
06-08-2012, 21:09
If you have to leave a car at 19E, Mountain Harbour Hostel is the place to leave it. Do NOT leave it at the trail head.

Also, Bob's Dairyland is great place for the end-of-trip meal. It is just a coupla miles past Mountain Harbour on the right.

Have you ever stayed at Mountain Harbor?

My wife and I are going to park there to spend the night, get a shuttle over to Carver's Gap and hike back. Not sure what the dinner provisions are for MH but if they don't serve it sounds like Bob's would do nicely.

ChinMusic
06-08-2012, 21:38
Have you ever stayed at Mountain Harbor?

My wife and I are going to park there to spend the night, get a shuttle over to Carver's Gap and hike back. Not sure what the dinner provisions are for MH but if they don't serve it sounds like Bob's would do nicely.

Yeah I have stayed there. The breakfasts are to die for. I wasn't there for supper.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2012, 21:55
A poster on BPL related a story recently where he took his out of shape buddy over the roan highlands and his buddy had a rough time of it.

It 50% depends on your shape, 50% depends on your pack weight, and 50% depends on your mental attitude.

From Cloudland to Carvers gap is all downhill, pretty easy. Carvers gap to 19E is mostly pretty easy too. Theres some mild climbs . I think little hump is 800ft, and hump another 600ft, but they are gradual and have views to distract you.
der
If you are in halfway decent shape, with a pack say under 30 lbs, you should have no problem doing it in 2 days. If you plan to stay at Overmountain, you dont even need a tent, Overmountain will sleep around 20-30, easily, virtually no chance of needing to tent there.

ScouterDave
06-10-2012, 21:52
Hey, thanks guys...appreciate the feedback.

This will be more of a camping trip than a hiking trip, again, not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a GREAT section to hike a bit and chill out. Have fun. ^ This. We might only walk for 3 hours a day and spend the rest of the time admiring the view and enjoying the peace and quiet.

ChinMusic
06-10-2012, 22:14
Overmountain shelter is pretty close to the middle of your trip. It would be nice to stay there one night. In fact I would almost consider Overmountain a MUST. If that is the case you have to decide if it is your first or second night.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2012, 22:48
Hey, thanks guys...appreciate the feedback.
^ This. We might only walk for 3 hours a day and spend the rest of the time admiring the view and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Well, I would plan on walking a little more than that. There is not much else to do...other than walk ....when you are out there. Views are great, but it only takes 10 min to take it all in and snap some pics, then might as well move along to see the next view. Throw in snack breaks and lunch, and before you know it the day has gone by.

You will be in the woods from Jane Bald to Overmountain Shelter (guessing about 5 miles), and from Hump mountain to 19E (~5miles), so nothing much to see for about half of your trip.

1azarus
06-11-2012, 07:32
...should also mention that overmountain shelter is a hammock hangers paradise -- if you do decide to make the "social" shelter scene. that big old barn was made for hanging hammocks. you might bring a little extra webbing just in case, but probably won't need anything more than you would normally carry.

Tennessee Viking
06-11-2012, 08:31
Even if you are overweight, you should be able to do it in just an overnight hike. I did Carvers Gap to 19E in an overnight. I was going a slow pace of 1-2 mph. If you are carry a heavy load then it may be harder trying to take some of the big steps, or the big climbs up from Yellow Mtn Gap and Hump Mtn. But a lot of the steep and eroded sections have been replaced with switchbacks.

If you want to just take your time, on your first day walk over the balds and up to Grassy Ridge. Then come back down and stay at the barn.

ScouterDave
06-11-2012, 12:55
Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the response. To clarify my original post, we've only got 2 hiking days to the trip. Pickup will be in the morning on the 3rd day. Right now I'll plan for us to stay near Overmountain the first night and somewhere near where Apple House was the 2nd night. This will put us at about 8-9 miles each day.

Without getting too far off topic, does anyone think 3 liters is too much water to carry through this area? I've got 2L in my bladder and a 1L bottle but didn't really want to carry more than that. The source at Overmountain and Apple House should still be running in mid July right?

Blissful
06-11-2012, 14:12
Recheck water issue when you get closer to your hike date.

JJJ
06-11-2012, 15:59
I went through there in mid summer and those springs were strong. I think you'll be fine.

1azarus
06-11-2012, 16:26
I think you should never carry more than 2 liters...

Tennessee Viking
06-11-2012, 16:53
Apple House is no more. If you plan on camping at the old shelter site, you are just 0.5 miles from the highway. Then its a .3 mile walk to Mountain Harbour B&B. Go ahead and walk out

If you want more distance, Doll Flats is 3 miles south of US19E.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2012, 19:29
You probably wont need to carry too much water. 2 L would be tops, 1 or less is even possible, there are lots of springs as long as there has been recent rain, and there has been so far.

Like was said, applehouse was torn down recently, just hike on out to Mountain Harbour, no need to stop short. The last 5 miles after Hump Mtn is all downhill and long flat switchbacks, they go by fast. You can do Overmountain to 19E in easy half day if you get the climbs out the way early while its still cool.

bus
06-11-2012, 22:23
There should be water at the spring to the east of Stan Murray. The Barns spring usually has a nice flow. I think there are a couple of spring/seeps at and before Bradley Gap, which is the gap between 'the humps.'

I would take the side trip up to Grassy Ridge Bald. That should add a few miles-enough to stay the first night at the Barn, then get to Doll Flats for the second night (.if you plan to do just 3 days)

Getting over the humps the second day before the lightning is a good idea. My last summer trip a co-hiker held us up pretty late. We just got over the humps and into the forest between the humps and Doll Flats when the rain and lightning hit.

The climb up Big Hump can seem like it doenst end if you are new or out practice (shape), but, the view kicks so much ass that you will have so much stoke-energy after that climb.

PR Man
06-12-2012, 20:57
It's a beautiful section. Just did it last month. I'm 57 and did that section in one day. Really, not even a hard day. The first mile is challenging - otherwise easy and beautiful hiking. If you want to take it slow - just plan on one night out and enjoy your trip.

Ginger Snap
06-12-2012, 21:51
My partner and I just did half of this section ( carvers gap to big hump and back ) in about a day and a half- but that was going slow, with our dogs, and with some nasty weather starting out.

We went a week ago, and the Water was plentiful, all the springs/streams/water sources that were supposed to be there were, with additional drips and streams frequently running in between. the azaleas and Rhodos were AWESOME! Fully in bloom and gorgeous.

Have fun!!

ScouterDave
06-13-2012, 13:59
Cool...thanks Ginger.

Tennessee Viking
06-13-2012, 14:17
I forgot to mention the BaaTany goats will be grazing on Jane Bald beginning in July.

chelko
06-14-2012, 12:11
I like your style. I did this hike with some of my friends several years ago. We strolled leisurly and enjoyed ourselves. First night Overmountain shelter for fine cigars and bourbon. Second night at Doll Flats for steaks, red wine and more cigars. It ain't always about the miles. It about the time you are out there with people whos company you enjoy.

10-K
06-14-2012, 17:46
I like your style. I did this hike with some of my friends several years ago. We strolled leisurly and enjoyed ourselves. First night Overmountain shelter for fine cigars and bourbon. Second night at Doll Flats for steaks, red wine and more cigars. It ain't always about the miles. It about the time you are out there with people whos company you enjoy.

You also carried steaks up to Roan High Knob shelter too, right? :)

My wife and I hiked from Carver's Gap to 19E (Mountain Harbor B&B) today in less than 8 hours and that included stopping for lunch and lots of photo opps. She is *not* a hiker.

This is an easy hike.....

bigcranky
06-14-2012, 20:35
Have you ever stayed at Mountain Harbor?.

Yes, twice. The breakfast is quite good. The hosts are friendly. The hostel in the barn seems nice, but both times we stayed in the big house in the room upstairs with the jacuzzi tub. (Hey, it was a weekend getaway with the spouse. A night on the trail and a night in a B&B.)

Pretty sure I wouldn't use them for shuttle services again. YMMV.

10-K
06-14-2012, 22:05
We got a shuttle but didn't stay overnight because we couldn't arrange for anyone to take care of the dogs.

We were about 20 minutes early for the shuttle and we were able to get on the road almost as soon as we arrive so we were actually on the AT at Carver's Gap ahead of schedule. So, no complaints about the shuttle.. We had also planned to get the Jefferson Room - the one with the 2 person jacuzzi..

The driver, who I presume is the husband half of the owners, does not make small talk - that's the only thing we noticed. He gave one-two word answers to anything you asked him and said not a single word unless we talked to talk to him first.

BTW, didn't eat breakfast, but saw it served. It looked very, very good.

bus
06-18-2012, 22:18
10-K, Mr Terry is kind of quiet. I guess he hears the same questions quite a bit. The second time I had him shuttle me our conversation was less on the brevity side then it was before. Both he and Mary are really nice folks.

ATVIRGIN
06-19-2012, 00:18
They were a bit late with my shuttle due to others that were slow, but that cant be helped. If you arent the early one, expect to be a bit behind.

He is kind of quiet, but we talked the whole way . They arent hikers, so dont relate to that much. Mostly talked about the local area, economy, locals, "outsiders", real estate, etc