PDA

View Full Version : Thanks WhiteBlaze

Mando12
06-09-2012, 17:18
I recently completed a section hike from Springer to just north of Grayson Highlands. A great experience and the longest hike I've ever done by far. Learned a lot through the experience.
While planning my trip I tossed a lot of questions out on the forum and/or did a lot of searches for info. This website and the folks on it are a great resource. It certainly helped me be better prepared for the hike.
I'd like to say thank you to you all for the help I received on WhiteBlaze!

Mando12

BigHodag
06-09-2012, 20:14
While planning my trip I tossed a lot of questions out on the forum and/or did a lot of searches for info. This website and the folks on it are a great resource. It certainly helped me be better prepared for the hike.

What would you have liked to have known before your trip that you learned during your trip?

What suggestions do you have for others following in your footsteps?

ChinMusic
06-09-2012, 20:28
What were the important things you learned on White Blaze, that you took with you on day 1?

hikerboy57
06-09-2012, 21:06
Congrats on your trip,but yeaj,tell us what you learned.a lot of us here give advice,but were always anxious to learn as well.

Mando12
06-21-2012, 20:54
Sorry for the delay. Been busy starting making some changes based on decisions I made on the trail.
I am fortunate, because hiking is part of my normal life and I've been a backpacker since 1976. So, I hit the trail with 95% the right stuff, and did 17 miles the first day, and kept that pace.

I learned about shelter life, dealing with mice, snoring, late arrivals, etc. With all the downsides to shelters, I stayed in shelters most nights. Found I could get going earlier in the AM w/o having to pack up a tent.

I learned how I could best hike. I would rise with the sun and be on the trail by 7:00 or 7:30. I could usually get 10 miles in by noon. Then I would decide which shelter to go to, usually hiking 15-17 miles per day. Occasionally I did long days, but I found that getting an early start was the key to the long day.

I made these rules for myself.
1. be on the trail no later than 7:30
2. be off the trail by 5:00 (I needed the rest. Every hour I hike today is one less hour of rest for tomorrow. I found a tipping point at about 5:00)
3. do not despise 15 miles (I could always hike further, but 15 miles is an honest day's work)
4. don't hike more than 20 miles in a day (20 miles is the distance I found I could hike without borrowing from tomorrow)

Of course, I broke all the rules at certain times. But the rules made me think through it.

I learned how far I could go on no water and no food. After carrying too much water early on, I decided that if I didn't run out of water every day or two, I was carrying too much water. Same with food. Water and food are the heavy items in the pack. I never put myself in danger, but I did stretch myself several times. Turns out we can go pretty far. That helped my get rid of my fear of going w/o food or water.

I got really feet focused. I would stop and attend to a hot spot immediately. Every evening I would rub my feet, inspect them carefully, keep the nails trimmed and dead skin removed. Sounds gross but I was all about the feet.

I definitely had my way of doing things and gear that I liked. I saw many, many variations that worked well for others. There is a lot of personal preference in "hike your own hike".

As a long time hiker and backpacker, I was astonished at Springer to see so many people that were not in good physical condition for hiking and that had unsuitable or unfamiliar equipment. It is a function that Whiteblaze fills, filling the knowledge gap. Seems like the ATC could do more seminars or work through local hiking clubs to provide education. It was disappointing, but not surprising to see so many people fade away the first few days.

A huge takeaway is simply confidence. I know I can walk up a mountain, and another and another. I know how to improvise with my gear. I know I can walk all day for days. I know there is nothing to fear on the trail. There isn't even anything to be nervous about. But you have to learn that on the trail.

Great experience for me. I plan to do a 4-5 week hike every year from now on. Next year in Europe.

Jim Adams
06-22-2012, 09:04
Sorry for the delay. Been busy starting making some changes based on decisions I made on the trail.
I am fortunate, because hiking is part of my normal life and I've been a backpacker since 1976. So, I hit the trail with 95% the right stuff, and did 17 miles the first day, and kept that pace.

I learned about shelter life, dealing with mice, snoring, late arrivals, etc. With all the downsides to shelters, I stayed in shelters most nights. Found I could get going earlier in the AM w/o having to pack up a tent.

I learned how I could best hike. I would rise with the sun and be on the trail by 7:00 or 7:30. I could usually get 10 miles in by noon. Then I would decide which shelter to go to, usually hiking 15-17 miles per day. Occasionally I did long days, but I found that getting an early start was the key to the long day.

I made these rules for myself.
1. be on the trail no later than 7:30
2. be off the trail by 5:00 (I needed the rest. Every hour I hike today is one less hour of rest for tomorrow. I found a tipping point at about 5:00)
3. do not despise 15 miles (I could always hike further, but 15 miles is an honest day's work)
4. don't hike more than 20 miles in a day (20 miles is the distance I found I could hike without borrowing from tomorrow)

Of course, I broke all the rules at certain times. But the rules made me think through it.

I learned how far I could go on no water and no food. After carrying too much water early on, I decided that if I didn't run out of water every day or two, I was carrying too much water. Same with food. Water and food are the heavy items in the pack. I never put myself in danger, but I did stretch myself several times. Turns out we can go pretty far. That helped my get rid of my fear of going w/o food or water.

I got really feet focused. I would stop and attend to a hot spot immediately. Every evening I would rub my feet, inspect them carefully, keep the nails trimmed and dead skin removed. Sounds gross but I was all about the feet.

I definitely had my way of doing things and gear that I liked. I saw many, many variations that worked well for others. There is a lot of personal preference in "hike your own hike".

As a long time hiker and backpacker, I was astonished at Springer to see so many people that were not in good physical condition for hiking and that had unsuitable or unfamiliar equipment. It is a function that Whiteblaze fills, filling the knowledge gap. Seems like the ATC could do more seminars or work through local hiking clubs to provide education. It was disappointing, but not surprising to see so many people fade away the first few days.

A huge takeaway is simply confidence. I know I can walk up a mountain, and another and another. I know how to improvise with my gear. I know I can walk all day for days. I know there is nothing to fear on the trail. There isn't even anything to be nervous about. But you have to learn that on the trail.

Great experience for me. I plan to do a 4-5 week hike every year from now on. Next year in Europe.

All great advice on your part!.....have fun in Europe.

geek

Pumba
06-22-2012, 09:11
Thank you for that!

How long did it take you to hike this section?