PDA

View Full Version : Trail tools: 6-8 lb engineer hammer, ie, single jack

leaftye
06-10-2012, 04:06
I have a 4 lb engineer hammer. I want a heavier hammer. Anyone know where I can find an okay hammer at a great price? My first thought was Amazon, but shipping makes the price less attractive.

6-8 lb head
16" handle, preferably hickory

Usually I'd be picky about the quality and direction of the grain, but I don't care as much since this is for training. I can always replace the handle later.

Fwiw, part of the reason I'm moving up to a heavier hammer is for training. Yes, I train to do trail maintenance. Crushing rock all week makes for very sore forearms. I'm hoping that training with a heavier hammer will ease that pain. The training makes for nice beefy forearms that are good for doing pulls in the gym too. :)

Rocket Jones
06-10-2012, 07:16
Do you have an Orchard Supply Warehouse in your area? That was always our go-to place for tools when we lived in California. Or check Harbor Frieght if you have one locally. If not local, check online, but then you'd be getting into shipping costs which might become prohibitive.

gpburdelljr
06-10-2012, 09:47
Why not get a sledge hammer and cut the handle down.

fins1838
06-10-2012, 11:35
***? A engineers hammer? Is that like MC Hammer? A bit too much weight for most hikers.

Velvet Gooch
06-10-2012, 12:19

This. Or you could skip the hammer and get the Ivanko Super Gripper. It's what I use and my forearms are bigger than most people's calves. Also, fat bar training

leaftye
06-10-2012, 16:54
Do you have an Orchard Supply Warehouse in your area? That was always our go-to place for tools when we lived in California. Or check Harbor Frieght if you have one locally. If not local, check online, but then you'd be getting into shipping costs which might become prohibitive.

No Orchard Supply Warehouse in San Diego County. :(

Harbor Freight is worth checking out. They have other stuff I need anyhow.

The problem is that if I actually want to use it for rock work, the handle won't be shaped correctly.

This is basically putting a weight at the end of a stick. That does work for training, but I want something that I can use for trail maintenance too.

This. Or you could skip the hammer and get the Ivanko Super Gripper. It's what I use and my forearms are bigger than most people's calves. Also, fat bar training

I have one of those, or rather, its cousin. That's not the type of forearm strengthening I'm looking for. Different muscles. Thanks though.

rocketsocks
06-10-2012, 17:26
Maybe rap some 5 lb. ankle weight around your forearms when you work,the old saying "Work smarter not harder comes to mind",oddly,I don't think that interests you.
A buddy of mine use to use a 12 lb. sledge when he would go to Herkimer NY to collect Herkimer Diamonds (double terminated quartz crystals).Not sure where he got it though,we all looked at him a little funny when he would swing it maybe contact your local Rail Road yard or black smith shop.And as always,thanks for all the hard work you and other trail maintainers do.Happy Trails.Think Heavey Highway work,Iron work,Ship yards,never hurts to ask,and i would be supprised if you were told "Right there,if you can pick it up,you can have it"....for a case of Miller or Bud,union made beer!

leaftye
06-10-2012, 17:47
Maybe rap some 5 lb. ankle weight around your forearms when you work,the old saying "Work smarter not harder comes to mind",oddly,I don't think that interests you.

I like the direction you're going, but I don't see how that would strengthen my forearms. The part of my forearm I'm mostly strengthening is the part that's on the top left if you're palm is facing the ground. You can activate it by putting your arm at your side, and using your wrist to move a stick/pole/hammer up and down in front of you.

I am going to tape some coins and other metal bits to my hammer for now, but I still want a heavier hammer that can actually be used for work. I don't know if I'll bring it on the trail. It depends what kind of shape I'm in for the next project. I would be perfectly content if training with a 8 lb hammer allowed me to crush away all week with 4 lb hammers. Of course I'd be happier if I could crush away with a pair of 8 lb hammers, but that means training with even heavier hammers. :)

A buddy of mine use to use a 12 lb. sledge when he would go to Herkimer NY to collect Herkimer Diamonds (double terminated quartz crystals).Not sure where he got it though,we all looked at him a little funny when he would swing it maybe contact your local Rail Road yard or black smith shop.And as always,thanks for all the hard work you and other trail maintainers do.Happy Trails.Think Heavey Highway work,Iron work,Ship yards,never hurts to ask,and i would be supprised if you were told "Right there,if you can pick it up,you can have it"....for a case of Miller or Bud,union made beer!

That's some good ideas. I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm there. I hope to eventually keep moving up to heavier hammers, so I might get lucky there. I picked up my current hammer at a great price when I bought extra weight plates from a guy on craigslist last year.

Thank you for the ideas and thoughts.

chip2012
06-10-2012, 18:38
May want to look around and see if there is a hardware store that sells handles and just add one to a sledge. There is a ace hardware where i live that literally has 1000s of handles of all sorts. What kind of handle do you want. I go into the store at least twice a week so I may be able to help. Or weld some weight to the sides of your current hammer maybe.

Mags
06-10-2012, 20:35
The training makes for nice beefy forearms that are good for doing pulls in the gym too. :)

Do sheet metal work for ~40 yrs and get forearms like Popeye. :) Dad could crush a walnut with one hand (Seriously... no exaggeration) Of course, he also had 6 surgeries on his hands over the years...... :O

Being a little more serious, wonder if some rock climbing exercises may help?
http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/training/griptraining_rockclimbing.html

Papa D
06-10-2012, 20:52
try

http://www.zieglertools.com

here is a nice hammer:

www.americastoolcrib.com/cgi/CGPTSRIM?PMITEM=KP30HSB25&PARTPG=CGPTLMXI&PAMENU=1_4&PMLFNO=04_11_002_001 (http://www.americastoolcrib.com/cgi/CGPTSRIM?PMITEM=KP30HSB25&PARTPG=CGPTLMXI&PAMENU=1_4&PMLFNO=04_11_002_001)

rocketsocks
06-10-2012, 21:04
Do sheet metal work for ~40 yrs and get forearms like Popeye. :) Dad could crush a walnut with one hand (Seriously... no exaggeration) Of course, he also had 6 surgeries on his hands over the years...... :O

Being a little more serious, wonder if some rock climbing exercises may help?
http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/training/griptraining_rockclimbing.htmlI could never do the Walnut crush,tried to.But then I've only been in the pipe trades 30 years,and 3 surgeries.Your POP is a Bad Maba Jamma Mags:)

leaftye,maybe try two hammers,one in each hand,like "Big John Henry".:sunOooh yeahhhh!

Mags
06-10-2012, 21:19
But then I've only been in the pipe trades 30 years,and 3 surgeries.!

Well, four of the hand surgeries came in the last decade of his career. He retired recently (not quite two years ago) due to permanent nerve damage in his left hand. Think his walnut cracking days are behind him...but he still cooks a mean marinara sauce and can lift a pint. :)

rocketsocks
06-10-2012, 21:30
Well, four of the hand surgeries came in the last decade of his career. He retired recently (not quite two years ago) due to permanent nerve damage in his left hand. Think his walnut cracking days are behind him...but he still cooks a mean marinara sauce and can lift a pint. :)Aye.............

leaftye
06-10-2012, 21:36
leaftye,maybe try two hammers,one in each hand,like "Big John Henry".:sunOooh yeahhhh!

That's how I crush. I get a better rhythm that way, and it's a lot more fun. I believe Big John Henry used a double jack though. I can't match him, but I doubt he can match the girth of my waistline. Anyhow, using a pair of hammers is a big part of why I want to save money on these hammers. If I decide to use the heavier weight on projects, I'd be out a minimum of $70 for each pair if I paid Amazon.com prices. I figure heavier hammers break rock better, so I'd like to keep working towards heavier hammers. More $$.

Then there's this beast:

http://www.amazon.com/Nupla-BD-20-16-Blacksmiths-Classic-Nuplaglas/dp/B004UMI1DC/ref=sr_1_11?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1339378500&sr=1-11

I doubt I could swing that thing with one hand, but I can dream.

rocketsocks
06-10-2012, 22:42
That's how I crush. I get a better rhythm that way, and it's a lot more fun. I believe Big John Henry used a double jack though. I can't match him, but I doubt he can match the girth of my waistline. Anyhow, using a pair of hammers is a big part of why I want to save money on these hammers. If I decide to use the heavier weight on projects, I'd be out a minimum of $70 for each pair if I paid Amazon.com prices. I figure heavier hammers break rock better, so I'd like to keep working towards heavier hammers. More $$.

Then there's this beast:

http://www.amazon.com/Nupla-BD-20-16-Blacksmiths-Classic-Nuplaglas/dp/B004UMI1DC/ref=sr_1_11?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1339378500&sr=1-11

I doubt I could swing that thing with one hand, but I can dream.Wow,a 20 lb.er,that picture does not come close to conveying just how big and how heavy that thing really is.I can totally understand your passion,it is very fulfilling to hammer away with chisels,or to make small rocks out of big rocks,I always like digging,that's a real good workout too.You may just have to bite the bullet and buy what you want and just pay the shipping,call it the price you pay for the things we love,good luck with all that,nothing like a good hard day of work to make our heads bend low,and sleep come so quickly.Happy Trails

leaftye
06-11-2012, 09:36
Staples is looking good:
http://www.staples.com/Jackson-Forged-Steel-Double-Face-Sledge-Hammer-6-in-L-6-lb/product_766966&cm_mmc=CJ-_-affiliate-_-feed-_-listing?PID=1646355&storeId=10001&AID=10422268&SID=102286086.33-6131033&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1646355-_-1646355-_-10422268&CID=AFF%253A1646355%253A1646355%253A10422268

V Eight
06-11-2012, 12:16
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449153_200449153#

looks like about $70 shiped

upstream
06-11-2012, 15:49
Ben Meadows
http://www.benmeadows.com/sledge-hammers_36815621/?searchterm=sledge

rocketsocks
06-11-2012, 16:28
Staples is looking good:
http://www.staples.com/Jackson-Forged-Steel-Double-Face-Sledge-Hammer-6-in-L-6-lb/product_766966&cm_mmc=CJ-_-affiliate-_-feed-_-listing?PID=1646355&storeId=10001&AID=10422268&SID=102286086.33-6131033&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1646355-_-1646355-_-10422268&CID=AFF%253A1646355%253A1646355%253A10422268What the heck is that thing for,fixing printers.I had no idea Staples carried big boy toys???

Mags
06-11-2012, 18:13
What the heck is that thing for,fixing printers.I had no idea Staples carried big boy toys???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5orss3fAEU

Yes.

rocketsocks
06-11-2012, 19:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5orss3fAEU

Yes.And that is what happens when printers don't pay the vig.If your printer enters into a life of crime and conterfieting,that's what can happen boys and girls.
Some early warning signs are.
Dosen't give the right amount of copies
Out of ink,when full is indicated
And sporadic light to dark printing

good one Mags!

chip2012
06-14-2012, 21:04
Fastenal.com has all kinds of hammers

verasch
06-14-2012, 23:05
I had a friend who worked with hand tools in a shop who swore that rolling single sheets of newspaper with only the tips of his fingers got him bigger wrists and forearms. Though he was scandanavian, so that might have something to do with it.

Seeing your post made me decide to join the local PATC chapter this weekend for some trail work. Thanks for the idea.

chip2012
06-15-2012, 07:05
"I had a friend who worked with hand tools in a shop who swore that rolling single sheets of newspaper with only the tips of his fingers got him bigger wrists and forearms. Though he was scandanavian, so that might have something to do with it."

I had a Russian wrestling coach who swore by this. His forearms were huge. He could crush apples in his hands. He would roll the paper and others he would just crumpled into little balls.

leaftye
06-29-2012, 02:56
I found an excuse to break out the sledge hammer for 3 days. The handle on my 8 lb sledge hammer barely made it through the last day. The head looks like it's about to fall off. This sledge had a fiberglass handle that provided the typical harshness you'd expect. Instead of getting a new 36" handle, I'll replace the handle with a 16" handle and I'll have the 8 lb single jack I wanted for the price of a handle and a bit of labor. If I ever need a sledge hammer again, I'll step up to something heavier...either a 16 or 20 lb sledge. Hickory handle of course.

4 lbs is a big transition though. I taped rolls of coins to my 4 lb hammer to bridge the gap.