PDA

View Full Version : Balsam Gap to Mt. Pisgah Inn

10-K
06-10-2012, 11:32
Looking at this 50 mile section of trail and thinking about hiking it and have few questions.....

1. All trail and no road?

2. Blazed or map *strongly* advised?

3. Maintained?

4. Water sources?

5. Anything helpful to know before hiking?

Grits
06-10-2012, 17:56
The best thing to do is to get Taba's manual http://www.thru-hiker.us/

10-K
06-10-2012, 18:24
The best thing to do is to get Taba's manual http://www.thru-hiker.us/

I have the 2010 MST guide from Taba. The MST is a work in progress and I've only hiked the section in GSMNP. I'm hoping someone who has hiked these 3 sections will reply.

The Old Chief
06-10-2012, 18:29
I did this section of the MST back in 2004 and I don't think things have changed too much since then. Although you'll come in contact with the Blue Ridge Parkway several times it's all trail. The Middle Prong Wilderness is not blazed so it would be good to have that section from the guidebook. I should be able to provide that section if you want it. No need to buy a whole book just for that part. The section is maintained and there are plenty of water sources. PM me if I can send you info.

Tennessee Viking
06-10-2012, 22:44
@ Old Chief: Believe it or not things are changing. The NPS doesn't like hikers walking in the Parkway tunnels anymore. A potential re-route from the Smokies thru Bryson City, Sylva, and Cullowhee is being considered. But nothing is official yet.

@ 10-K: I have done some day hikes in the area. The climb up from Balsam Gap to the Balsams is long and good climb. There area some forest road walks in between some trail sections but thats about it. The MST is primarily side hill trail in the area. Crosses the parkway several times or blueblazes back to the parkway in places.

CMC's MST crew maintains the trail. So it should be fairly clear. I know a couple years ago, they had a lot of winter blowdowns.

From what I remember water sources, are ok in until Pisgah Inn...after Pisgah going into Asheville sources getting hard to find since most of the trail is along a narrow ridgeline.

I am not familiar with with Middle Prong sections. But the MST does follow the Art Loeb Trail for a bit. After Graveyard its all one trail. Check my buddies site: artshikingmaps.info has plenty of detailed topos with water source info.

I highly recommend checking out the Graveyard Fields area. Lots of water there. Huge waterfalls. Also check out Devils Courthouse and Looking Glass overlooks. You can also possibly hit some 6000 peaks in the area as well for the South Beyond challenge.

And be sure to carry a map. You will need to figure out the Parkway right of way and forest service lands. You can camp/hang on FS grounds, but Parkway grounds its prohibited.

Just let me know if you got questions about the existing trail or reroutes. Either route is recognized by the FMST.

10-K
06-11-2012, 08:57
Do you know if you can park at the Pisgah Inn overnight?

In a perfect world I'd park at Pisgah Inn and get a shuttle back to Balsam Gap.

WingedMonkey
06-11-2012, 10:24
You can overnight park at the lot next to the trail-head. No shuttle or decent supplies at Pisgah Inn Store. Decent restaurant. Might wanna check with Asheville Shuttle, he use to post here, don't know if he still does.

http://www.ashevilleairportshuttle.com/

10-K
06-11-2012, 12:19
You can overnight park at the lot next to the trail-head. No shuttle or decent supplies at Pisgah Inn Store. Decent restaurant. Might wanna check with Asheville Shuttle, he use to post here, don't know if he still does.

http://www.ashevilleairportshuttle.com/

Thanks - and just to be clear you're talking about the trailhead near/at the Pisgah Inn?

The Old Chief
06-11-2012, 12:21
If you're starting at Balsam Gap you won't need to worry about any re-routes since TABA's guidebook from 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a shuttle from an employee at the Pisgah Inn. Most of the workers live on site and there should be one or two off duty and wiling to shuttle you to Balsam Gap for a fee. Just ask at the check in desk at the inn and i'm sure they can find you someone quickly.

WingedMonkey
06-11-2012, 14:42
Thanks - and just to be clear you're talking about the trailhead near/at the Pisgah Inn?

Mount Pisgah Trial parking area, behind the big sign. Opposite side of the Parkway from the Inn, north of the campground.

10-K
06-21-2012, 13:18
Does anyone know if there is a safe place for overnight parking near or at Balsam Gap?

Cookerhiker
07-02-2012, 17:27
I've been looking at Pisgah NF for a 3-5 day hike next week and found this thread. Good info here.

What's the hitching like on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Pisgah Recreation Area and Balsam Gap?

10-K
07-02-2012, 18:32
My son and I are going to hike this section the 18th-20th.

The Old Chief
07-02-2012, 21:08
You should be able to park at the Balsam Inn about a mile down the railroad track at Balsam Gap. I was reading the other day that they will let hikers pitch their tents for free on their lawn.

The Old Chief
07-02-2012, 21:16
Cookerhiker, you should be able to get a hitch without too much trouble. I do believe that, just like at Newfound Gap, you can't really stick your thumb out, but if you're at an overlook someone will give you a ride. I got one pretty quickly in 04 at Bearpen Gap.

Cookerhiker
07-03-2012, 10:27
Cookerhiker, you should be able to get a hitch without too much trouble. I do believe that, just like at Newfound Gap, you can't really stick your thumb out, but if you're at an overlook someone will give you a ride. I got one pretty quickly in 04 at Bearpen Gap.

Much thanks.

Sounds like parking is available at either end. Any pros/cons of hiking eastbound vs. westbound?

The Old Chief
07-03-2012, 10:53
It might be nicer to finish at the Pisgah Inn because of the restaurant and the Inn if you want to spend the night. You might have more uphills starting at Balsam Gap but nothing really bad.

WingedMonkey
07-03-2012, 11:14
I've been looking at Pisgah NF for a 3-5 day hike next week and found this thread. Good info here.

What's the hitching like on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Pisgah Recreation Area and Balsam Gap?

Legally speaking the Parkway is a National Park, and the rangers are National Park. Hitching in a National Park may be against the law.
The best way to get a ride is to yogi one from any of the numerous pullouts and vistas, many of which are also trailheads for other trails.

10-K
07-19-2012, 21:11
My son and I just got back from this hike. He said the MST motto should be, "Is that a lichen or is that a blaze?".. :)

The trail in this section needs some TLC - very overgrown for long stretches. - I don't think it gets a lot of traffic.

2 best things: A blackberry patch with so many blackberries we ate until we were tired of eating and there was still a ton left when we were finished... And we had a great campsite the second night at 5900' on a bald about a mile or so east (north?) of the Art Loeb trail intersection.

Not sure I'd want to hike any more MST in these parts until the weeds die off but we had a good time.

WingedMonkey
07-19-2012, 21:32
Most of the foot traffic is on the section from The Inn to The Arboretum. You know those freaks that run trails all the time.

:p

The Solemates
07-19-2012, 22:15
My son and I just got back from this hike. He said the MST motto should be, "Is that a lichen or is that a blaze?".. :)

The trail in this section needs some TLC - very overgrown for long stretches. - I don't think it gets a lot of traffic.

2 best things: A blackberry patch with so many blackberries we ate until we were tired of eating and there was still a ton left when we were finished... And we had a great campsite the second night at 5900' on a bald about a mile or so east (north?) of the Art Loeb trail intersection.

Not sure I'd want to hike any more MST in these parts until the weeds die off but we had a good time.

the no traffic aspect of pisgah is one of the things that has brought me back so many times.

we used to go every year to pick blueberries for the same reason. always came home with gallons of them.

The Old Chief
07-20-2012, 16:54
10-K, Read my trailjournal MST entry on 14 July, 04. Exactly same trail conditions. I think the CMC maintains this section of trail, but probably only once a year.