PDA

View Full Version : Section rec North of Harper's Ferry?

BobbyNoel
06-10-2012, 12:32
You folks are always great. I need a 50-100 mile section hike recommendation for August north of Harper's Ferry; I've done the Presidential's already. BTW, did Carver's Gap towards Damascus last month... very cold, wet and as noted on the front page... sick hikers TN/NC.
Rob /aka/Friendly

johnnybgood
06-10-2012, 13:09
With August being both hot and humid I'd hike Vermont , New Hampshire or Maine. I don't believe you can go wrong hiking anywhere in the north country in August.

100 Mile wilderness in late August would be nice as cooler temps would prevail.

There should also be some fall coloration showing in the higher elevations .

moldy
06-10-2012, 13:43
Why not Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs Pa. About as easy as the AT gets.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2012, 13:58
Start at the last road crossing in Mass - Rt. 2 in North Adams. If driving, you can leave your car at the Greylock Community Club. Start hiking north. It's 108 miles to Rt. 4 Sherbourne Pass (a bit longer than you wanted) where you can get a bus to Rutland and regional buses back south. If that's too long, you can end your hike at Rt. 140 outside Wallingford. Or for a 90 mile hike, start at the first road crossing in Vt - Rt. 9 outside Bennington - and hike to Rt. 4.

It's a very nice stretch with a few firetowers, lakes to swim in, views from Stratton, Glastonbury, and other mountains. Have fun!

no-name
06-10-2012, 17:01
Why not Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs Pa. About as easy as the AT gets. I did this last August, SOBO though. It worked out real good for one week.

WILLIAM HAYES
06-10-2012, 20:20
get a shuttle oout of harpers ferry to the mason dixon line and do the section from there through maryland back to harpers ferry easy hike

BobbyNoel
06-12-2012, 12:36
Great, thank you.